Another amateur bedroom drum recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another amateur bedroom drum recording

If you haven't seen this at the everything paiste thread or the snare drums thread section, here it is again. The Tama toms are truly unbelievable, the mics love them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZigMF2JIj9A&hd=1

My YouTube channel - old school Metal & Progressive.

Drum Gear:
    Paiste, Tama, Oriollo, Trick, Gibraltar, Rhythm Tech, Aquarian, LP, Vater, Turkish Kurak.

Recording/Mixing Gear:
    Mackie 1640i, Senheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Shure, Apple, Logic, Ultimate Ears.

Hey it's great to see more videos from you! The first thing that struck me is those crash cymbals sound amazing. Not just the brilliant shimmer and lack of harshness, but the intervals between them are so complimentary and musical. That ride cymbal is a beast, it's almost a bit much for me, but I can't deny it's suitability for the musical context. What I was really missing in the mix were your kicks. I couldn't hear much of them at all, I think they could just come up overall. I'm personally not a fan of reverb on overheads, but I only noticed it in the very quiet parts where you were doing cymbal work. I thought the reverb on the snare and especially the toms was a bit overboard. There's something in the tail-end of the verb of the toms that bothers me. For instance at 5:54 during your tom fills it's especially apparent. I think it's the type of reverb - whatever it is, it has something like a slapback on the backside with a pretty distinct attack that gives the effect of an echo or double that I think clutter the mix up and make your fills sound sloppy. Tone-wise the snare and toms sound pretty good, I'd just like to hear them a little more clearly.

Playing-wise, I felt like for certain stretches of the song you never quite locked in with the band. Through the beginning you tended to rush your fills and when the first 6/8 section kicked in, it took you pretty long to lock in. I think what would really help you is to feel the 6/8 in 2 half notes instead of 6 eighth notes. So focus on the 1 and 4 and give them a little emphasis. Giving all 6 beats equal emphasis keeps your playing from grooving. I'm looking forward to more vids from you, keep it up!

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I haven't played in a long time, and that song took about 5 tries to learn (it's not that difficult). The reverb you mention at the beginning and end are the original tom hits from Clive Burr (drummer) that came through - I played those notes a few milliseconds early, and his original playing came through as a slap-reverb :-/ I used no reverb on any of the tom mics. Just a tad ambiance on the overheads. That tells me how much I need to improve my internal clock.

The bass drum sound pretty light through my in-ear monitors (that's normal) but they sound decent on normal home theater equipment (I tested on two different ones) but I agree, they could be more punchy. Live they are monster, as you can see how the camera shakes at each bass drum note played... I'm totally aware of the flaws in playing you've pointed out, I was playing from (weak) memory and at those points I was thinking "is this the correct fill right now?" etc... it all happens too fast. Anxious to record and get it done, I didn't want to play this tune 100 times LOL but that's what happens with weekend drummers like me

As for the Paistes... what can I say... I just love those cymbals. Almost no EQ needed. Snare is the cheap Ludwig Brick. $200 drum. Aquarian heads make all the difference.

Drum Gear:
      Paiste, Tama, Oriollo, Trick, Gibraltar, Rhythm Tech, Aquarian, LP, Vater, Turkish Kurak.

Recording/Mixing Gear:
      Mackie 1640i, Senheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Shure, Apple, Logic, Ultimate Ears.

Comment

I'm certainly some sort of glad you put "drum" between "bedroom" and "recording".

Comment

Originally posted by nik12 View Post
          I'm certainly some sort of glad you put "drum" between "bedroom" and "recording".
          That was on purpose, I select my words carefully

Drum Gear:

Recording/Mixing Gear:

Comment

Working...
          X