CONVERTING ROLAND PD-100 or PD120 MESH PAD SHELLS TO PEARL SHELLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONVERTING ROLAND PD-100 or PD120 MESH PAD SHELLS TO PEARL SHELLS

I have a Roland TD-10 kit that came with 2 PD-10 pads and 3 PD-12 pads. The kick is a KD-120.

I have been thinking about making those shells look better by removing the guts out of the pads and installing them inside of real pearl drum shells.

I could take 1 10" X 8" tom and cut it down the middle using a table saw. That would give me (2) 1/2 shells to install the Roland pad guts into. I could also reuse the Roland PD-10 Mount.

I could repeat the same proceedure for (2) 12" X 9" toms...making (3) 1/2 shells to cover the snare pad and the 2 big tom pads.

I could use (1) 12" x 9" tom as the kick drum. Leave it whole and end up with a kick drum that looks a lot like Neil Peart's 12" electronic kick that DW made for him.

Has anyone tried to do this yet?

AXEMAN
    "If You Don't Rock, YOU SUCK!"

I haven't tried it but why don't you just sell everything that you want to convert. Keep the brain and put some triggers or use pearls e-pro heads on a real kit?
    Solo project: "Suicide Animals" - experimental death thrash industrial zombie noiz
    drums: Pearl Prestige Session Select in Carbon Mist
    hardware: all Pearl
    cymbals: Paiste (Signature, Sound Formula, RUDE, VISIONS, 2002, and Twenty Series)

"Everything you do is a reflection of you......"

Comment

Your idea has crossed my mind so here is my answer as to WHY I don't really want to do that.

The e-kit I plan to do this to is really easy to pack and move compared to what it would be like if the shells were real full sized shells. Getting real full sized shells would mean new gig bags, MORE gig bags to cover the new shells. Right now I use 3 gig bags to pack the WHOLE THING. To use full size shells the gig bags would go up to over double that number. It would also take me longer to pack it because there are more parts.

It would also mean a complete reconfiguration of the drum rack I use for that kit. It would get larger...which will again cost me time and effort to move it. Right now when I move this kit...all I need to move it is my small truck. If I make any part of it BIGGER that small truck may not work to move it anymore. I may have to use my trailer....which once again costs me more time and effort.

By using (1) 10" tom and (3) 12" toms 2 cut into 1/2 and 1 being kept whole for the kick. I would not have to change the rack at all. Packing would also remain the same.

I just want to give that kit a diffrent look.

AXEMAN
      "If You Don't Rock, YOU SUCK!"

Comment

That's cool. When you start working on it, let us know. I'm interested to see how it turns out!
        Solo project: "Suicide Animals" - experimental death thrash industrial zombie noiz
        drums: Pearl Prestige Session Select in Carbon Mist
        hardware: all Pearl
        cymbals: Paiste (Signature, Sound Formula, RUDE, VISIONS, 2002, and Twenty Series)

"Everything you do is a reflection of you......"

Comment

Doesnt DW use wood shells for NP? Its just a shell with electronics, i dont see why you cant use w/e you want.
          VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
          Kick Sub Mod
          How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

That sounds like a great idea. I can't wait to see the results.
            Mapex Saturn: 8 , 10 , 12, 14, 16, 22 B 14 & 13 S
            Mapex Saturn V: 10, 12, 16, 22 B
            Drumcraft Series 8 Maple: 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, B, & 14, 13, 12, & 10 S
            Drumcraft Series 7 Birch: 8, 10, 12, 14,16, (2) 22 B, & 14 S
            Yamaha Stage Custom: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22 B

Comment

Working...
            X