No announcement yet.

New laptops.........no firewire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireWire is on the way out on Macs. However, Apple sell a ThunderBolt-FireWire adapter for about $30 that works a treat (should, too, because it is no different from native FireWire).
    1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
    1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
    1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
    1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
    1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black
    Roland TD-20SX
    Roland TD-30KV

Comment

Originally posted by TWH View Post
      I've always heard good things about the MACs but all of my music production software is windows based.
      Generally, if your software is registered, downloads are usually available for multiple computers, in formats for both Windows and Mac.
      sigpic
      Tama Starclassic Select Walnut Kit
      Tama Artstar II Kit
      Tama Granstar Custom Kit
      Kit #4 Tama Artstar II's over 20" Granstars
      Premier HR9 Project

Comment

Originally posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
        Boy you guys are amateurs when it comes to computer stuff lol.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_trk...wire&_from=R40
        Don't be so quick to call others amateurs. You are very mistaken to think it's just as simple as physically adapting a Firewire cable to USB and it working as good as plugging the firewire device to an actual firewire port. That's on the same level of logic as adapting a VGA cable to HDMI and thinking you're going to get an HD-quality image on your fancy new HD monitor from your old graphics card that only has VGA outs.

USB 2.0 and Firewire are completely different protocols and an adapter doesn't magically convert one protocol to another. Firewire doesn't only have more bandwidth, it's far superior at managing multiple devices than USB. USB can only handle recording up to 8 channels of audio simultaneously, whereas I've ran sessions recording 40 channels simultaneously of audio in realtime onto my Firewire harddisc. And the 8 channels of audio on the USB device assumes that you're not running other bandwidth-heavy devices on other USB ports on the same machine. If you're running a bunch of peripherals and you have an external drive plugged in via USB and you're uploading pictures from a camera/card via USB or printing something to a printer via USB the whole protocol becomes bogged down and crippled. Whereas Firewire won't sweat it.

Comment

Originally posted by thismercifulfate View Post
          You are very mistaken
          To assume thats what i meant. Dont assume i know nothing about computers, you would be very wrong to do so.
          VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
          Kick Sub Mod
          How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Maybe we need to have a nerd-off and find out who's the biggest computer geek.

FireWire and USB are not worth fighting over.

Sent from my Starclassic Snare.
            I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

I'm not fighting over anything or trying to prove myself to anyone. I don't want other members or anyone who stumbles across it reading this thread to be mislead or misinformed. Afterall this thread is about having a Firewire interface and wanting it to work on a computer that doesn't have Firewire. Others in the same predicament are likely to read this thread, and if the facts aren't cleared up someone could wind up buying some adapter and ending up with a rig that isn't performing properly.

Comment

Your concern is overwhelming.... no one was mislead by a simple link. Its the buyers job to do research before purchase.
                VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                Kick Sub Mod
                How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Originally posted by wsgnst View Post
                  Maybe we need to have a nerd-off and find out who's the biggest computer geek.

FireWire and USB are not worth fighting over.

Sent from my Starclassic Snare.
                  Amen. FW will be Dodo in a few years, if not sooner. The MBP version with FW800, USB 3.0 and TB is the last version of that MBP. It still has an optical drive. That will be gone before the years out, especially since MBP with retina display is only $100 or so more at base level, and especially as PCI-E SSD Hard drives come down in price.
                  Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
                  Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
                  Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
                  Rogers: 13-16-22
                  Yamaha, Tama, snares
                  Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

Originally posted by TWH View Post
                    If I'm not mistaken, those only work with USB 2.0 and lower.

Yeah, i7. However, I use my laptop for everything from gaming to recording, artwork, DVD's, ect. It is basically my home away from home since I spend allot of time on the road. It still does the job just fine, but after 5 years, I was just looking into getting something a little more up to date, so when I went looking into the major manufacturers, I was surprised to find that none of them offer the firewire port anymore. (other than Apple)
                    People use USB more, period. For everything. People see it more useful that that FW port be a USB port. Similarly to laptops a while ago not having HDMI out ports, forcing people to buy adapters. They changed that quickly.

Even some PCs dont have TB ,so you're left with USB 3.0, which sounds like it sucks because you don't have choices, but actually USB 3.0 is fastest as it's ever been. And very reliable too. I think where TB excels is in two-way communication, it has a better handle on that than USB 3.0. But it's still new and until last year, for Macs only. Intel wasn't going to get too far have TB for only one platform, lest it suffers FWs fate.
                    Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
                    Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
                    Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
                    Rogers: 13-16-22
                    Yamaha, Tama, snares
                    Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

Thunderbolt is PCI. USB is... a cheap hack. USB is on everything, because it is cheap to include. It is mostly software.
                      1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
                      1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
                      1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
                      1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
                      1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black
                      Roland TD-20SX
                      Roland TD-30KV

Comment

Originally posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
                        Your concern is overwhelming.... no one was mislead by a simple link. Its the buyers job to do research before purchase.
                        I can't tell if you are trolling or just ignorant, but I guarantee that anyone who finds that link and doesn't know what the difference between firewire and USB is will buy one of those thinking it will perform properly.

The truth of the matter is that it won't, they are not compatible because they work completely differently.
                        -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

Working...
                        X