New laptops.........no firewire??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New laptops.........no firewire??

I was thinking about upgrading my laptop which I use for gaming and recording. I currently have a 2009 HP DV7 with a first gen I-7 quad core. It has a single 1394 firewire port and a couple of USB 2.0 ports. I use the firewire port with my Firestudio tube. As I began to look around at new laptops, I noticed that none of the manufacturers offer firewire ports on any of their laptops. They all have USB 3.0 ports.

So now it looks like I would either have to change my interface with a new laptop, or keep what I have.

Is there a reason the manufacturers have dropped firewire ??

Is there such thing as a cable to 'bridge' the difference? Something like where a firewire is on one side of a cable and usb3.0 is on the other?

Comment

Originally posted by opus138 View Post
      Is there such thing as a cable to 'bridge' the difference? Something like where a firewire is on one side of a cable and usb3.0 is on the other?
      From what I've read, NO. It has something to do with the signal type of each, and the way they operate.

Comment

FIrewire is much different than USB.

You may be able to find a firewire expansion card for laptops still.

Laptops are moving away from those interfaces. USB will be the next to go if Intel/Apple take off with Thunderbolt.

There are a few thunderbolt interfaces out already, but they are pricey.

The only option for those that still want firewire, are older laptops that have it builtin or a desktop that you can add it to

Comment

You could also just purchase an Apple machine, which will either have Firewire or Thunderbolt, which can be adapted to Firewire. Cost kept me from getting a MacBook Pro for some time, but I eventually found a great deal on a used maxed out mid-2010 17" MBP that I couldn't pass up. In my experience it's best to use a dedicated computer for recording, and as such Macs tend to be far more user-friendly, reliable and stable. There's a good reason why the vast majority of audio recording professionals use macs.

Comment

Firewire, as it was, was only really better than USB 2.0 because of the way it handled conflicts, USB 3.0 is faster and more common therefor they do not need to include firewire for ~99% of laptop users.

You are better off getting either a firewire expansion card or a desktop with firewire. You can also switch to Mac which would still (likely) have firewire. You cannot mix firewire and USB. It does not work that way.
            -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

Originally posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
              Firewire, as it was, was only really better than USB 2.0 because of the way it handled conflicts, USB 3.0 is faster and more common therefor they do not need to include firewire for ~99% of laptop users. You are better off getting either a firewire expansion card or a desktop with firewire. You can also switch to Mac which would still (likely) have firewire. You cannot mix firewire and USB. It does not work that way.
              Well crap. Here's to hoping my computer lasts for a while.

Comment

You can get a really good desktop computer for a pretty great price these days. Sometimes you just have to either build it yourself or get someone to build it for you. Getting any of the big-name machines (like an HP computer) is not the way to go when looking for task-specific hardware. I've recorded on both Mac and PC, and I like the scale-ability of the PC better. That being said, the Mac OS is much simpler and therefor runs lighter-weight in the background (which is why professional studios prefer Mac systems for recording). You just pay out the nose for the name.

I've actually run some heavy-duty sessions on a custom-built PC and had 0 issues while recording, so it is all about who built it and what the specs are.
                -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

Ah, this might be a mac solution:
                  http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD...rewire-adapter

Comment

Boy you guys are amateurs when it comes to computer stuff lol.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_trk...wire&_from=R40
                    VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                    Kick Sub Mod
                    How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Even Mac is leaving FW behind. Thunderbolt all the way.

BUT

Most Windows laptops don't have TB ports yet, and USB 3.0 is 4-5x's faster than FW. Plus most users are not using FW, so companies will get rid of it despite people still use it.

You can go adapters. You won't lose much money going this route. Switching to Mac for the FW port is not a justifiable reason, especially since the newest Macs don't have FW ports in them anymore.

Edit: It's a Core i7? It should still have some life in it with that CPU. Have you maxed out the RAM in the laptop? Upgraded the OS?
                      Yamaha: LC2014-TC1986
                      Gretsch: Renown Walnut 10-12-14-20
                      Mapex: Meridian Maple 12-14-18
                      Rogers: 13-16-22
                      Yamaha, Tama, snares
                      Zildjian, Sabian cyms, VF Sticks

Comment

I used to have a USB to FireWire 400 converter cable, used it with my 002 control surface....seemed to work just fine, never had a problem with tracking through it. I believe I bought it online from a company called triangle cables? Something like that...

Comment

My MacBookPro has USB 3.0, FireWire 800, and Thunderbolt.
                          sigpic
                          Tama Starclassic Select Walnut Kit
                          Tama Artstar II Kit
                          Tama Granstar Custom Kit
                          Kit #4 Tama Artstar II's over 20" Granstars
                          Premier HR9 Project

Comment

Originally posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
                            Boy you guys are amateurs when it comes to computer stuff lol.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?&_trk...wire&_from=R40
                            If I'm not mistaken, those only work with USB 2.0 and lower.

Originally posted by drummaman1 View Post
                            Even Mac is leaving FW behind. Thunderbolt all the way.

BUT

Most Windows laptops don't have TB ports yet, and USB 3.0 is 4-5x's faster than FW. Plus most users are not using FW, so companies will get rid of it despite people still use it.

You can go adapters. You won't lose much money going this route. Switching to Mac for the FW port is not a justifiable reason, especially since the newest Macs don't have FW ports in them anymore.

Edit: It's a Core i7? It should still have some life in it with that CPU. Have you maxed out the RAM in the laptop? Upgraded the OS?
                            Yeah, i7. However, I use my laptop for everything from gaming to recording, artwork, DVD's, ect. It is basically my home away from home since I spend allot of time on the road. It still does the job just fine, but after 5 years, I was just looking into getting something a little more up to date, so when I went looking into the major manufacturers, I was surprised to find that none of them offer the firewire port anymore. (other than Apple)

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperScott View Post
                              My MacBookPro has USB 3.0, FireWire 800, and Thunderbolt.
                              I've always heard good things about the MACs but all of my music production software is windows based.

Comment

Working...
                              X