Connecting TD20 to PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connecting TD20 to PC

I have a Roland TD20 that I would like to painlessly (if possible) connect and record to my PC.

Is it possible to record simply from the mono L and R and directly into the headphone jack of my PC, recording it all with Audacity? Or is there another suggested way of doing so? I'm simply looking to record to a single drum track.

thank you
    My drum videos
    Luke Zwelsky Group
    Kelevra

The headphone jack on your PC is an output. You'd need to plug into an input (i.e. mic plug).

As far as I know, yes, you could record it like that. You'd have to run headphones from your computer for monitoring which might be laggy.

I used to run Cakewalk with my TD3 via the MIDI I/O.

Comment

Ah, good point about the headphones ha!

Do I have to monitor the recording? I think just being able to record, tweak, then record again would be enough. I'm looking to just make a few recordings of song covers

I know MIDI is another method, but I would need some sort of plugin for the drums on my PC, correct? I eventually want to get superior drummer but am holding off until I get a MAC
      My drum videos
      Luke Zwelsky Group
      Kelevra

Comment

Although I just looked and this Superior Drummer 2.0 is listed as both mac and windows

http://www.amazon.com/Toontrack-TT11.../dp/B001C57Q1I
        My drum videos
        Luke Zwelsky Group
        Kelevra

Comment

The TD-20 has a Digital Audioi Output. I've never used it but if you check your owners manual I bet you can use that directly to your mic input on your computer. If you do not have your owners manual...you can download one for free from ROLANDUS.COM.

AXEMAN
          "If You Don't Rock, YOU SUCK!"

Comment

I would try to avoid using any built-in mic-jack on your computer for recording purposes. It's designed to be used in conjunction with cheap consumer-level mics for skyping and such, not a fine pro-level piece of gear like a Roland TD-20. You can get an affordable 2-channel audio interface for around $150 that will record your TD-20 cleanly with very high audio quality into Audacity or your DAW of choice.

Comment

Working...
            X