Bass drum mike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass drum mike

Thinking about getting a bass drum mike for teaching studio any suggestions, please find footage with sm57 in bass drum (sounds a bit wooly ).http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxABZm9hkgI

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking - are you saying you want proof that an SM57 can be used for a bass drum, or are you looking for suggestions for a good bass drum mic?

Here's a clip I put together using GarageBand where every track was recorded with the same SM57 microphone:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06DtmHHmqqI

Here's a clip where I used a Shure SM7B:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REDL2khNsJo

I don't know if the SM7B is an "ideal" bass drum mic, but I bought it for two reasons - one, I know a guy who knows a Shure rep so I got it for about $225, which is $125 less than the standard street price of $350. The second reason I got it is because it is a highly versatile, well respected studio mic - it's just as at home on a guitar cab, snare drum, bass drum or vocals (Michael Jackson recorded his vocals for the "Thriller" album on an SM7) so I looked at it as a solid investment of money into my home studio efforts.

Also, it's going to depend upon what kind of sound you want. The three most common kick drum mics are:

Shure - Beta 52
    AKG - D112
    Audix - D6

All of those mics have different character though. The Audix D6 is highly respected for guys who want that punchy, thumpy modern rock sound, but guys who want that resonant jazz sound tend to lean toward either the AKG or the Beta 52. I don't know if you know all of that already or not.

A mic that I will probably get if I decide to go with something other than my SM7B is the Electrovoice N/D 868. It reviews incredibly well.
    Patrick G.

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems could be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." -- Anonymous

"Let's be honest... drummers don't have piles of money laying around, just piles of drums." -- Gord the Drummer

Comment

I thought this thread was going to be about you telling us your nickname was "bass drum" Mike.

Either way 57's can be used on everything. I have been using a AKG D112 though and it sounds really good.

Good luck
      "Fast is fine, but ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING"
      - Wyatt Earp

Comment

SM58s are a bit better for a kick, if you didnt have a real kick mic. Oh, and its 'mic'
        VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
        Kick Sub Mod
        How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Originally posted by TalonTsi90
          SM58s are a bit better for a kick, if you didnt have a real kick mic. Oh, and its 'mic'
          I've been waiting for it. Lol
          Originally posted by AL PERCIVAL
          in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed........... :D
          my sessions (work in progress)
          http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...n-custom-maple

looking for: anything satin

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Audix D6
              Repetition is Recognition

Comment

Oh snap! a 12 year bump! This one trumps the last one.
                -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

12 years? 1.5 maybe?
                  VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                  Kick Sub Mod

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Originally posted by TalonTsi90 View Post
                    12 years? 1.5 maybe?

Click image for larger version

Name:	80615-Robin-Williams-what-year-is-it-OWzf.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	5180945
                    -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

?
                      VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                      Kick Sub Mod

sigpic

Comment

This one seems to know his way around a bass drum...

Comment

Mike's on vacation. I'm not sure what he does with his bass drum.

Blatant Pearl Fanboi

GoingoBoingo

Church Drummer's Army

Comment

Originally posted by HiFiBri View Post
                            Mike's on vacation. I'm not sure what he does with his bass drum.

Is he Awake in one of his bass drums, waiting for Falling into infinity, or is he watching the Dream Theater eating Metropolis, part 2?
                            Astradica on Spotify

Starclassic W/B

Comment

Working...
                            X