Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones Volume with Trigger Modules

Hey,

Quick question: I use a DM5 to trigger and I run headphones out of it so I can hear the output without needing a stage monitor. Unfortunatly I have to set the volume pretty low on the DM5 to make it bareable on my ears and have had some problems with sound guys not getting a loud enough signal from me.

Does anyone know of or have recommendations for a product that can control/limit the volume to the headphones separately from the actual volume of the DM5? I was thinking theres probably a guitar pedal out there that might do this but I wanted something less cumbersome.

Thanks

Just buy one of those ROLLS brand two channel mixers. I think Behringer makes them too. It's been a while since i have used on, but it will give you two channels out with seperate volume controls. That would be the cheapest way to do it.
    FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
    http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

Comment

Similar to what Will recommended... I think this will work better...

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/HA400.aspx

Plug the output of your DM5 into the input of this unit then run one output to your headphones then another to your sound guy

-Perry

Comment

Originally posted by geekburgerexpress View Post
        Hey,

Quick question: I use a DM5 to trigger and I run headphones out of it so I can hear the output without needing a stage monitor. Unfortunatly I have to set the volume pretty low on the DM5 to make it bareable on my ears and have had some problems with sound guys not getting a loud enough signal from me.

Does anyone know of or have recommendations for a product that can control/limit the volume to the headphones separately from the actual volume of the DM5? I was thinking theres probably a guitar pedal out there that might do this but I wanted something less cumbersome.

Thanks
        I use a DM5 as well and am a bit confused how you're outputting it and perhaps how you have your levels set. I apologize if I come off telling you stuff you already know so just bear with me.

There's 3 outputs on the DM5--the Main out pair & Aux out pair (1/4") on the back and stereo headphone out on the front, which is a duplicate of the Main out, but with a separate volume control. In other words, if you assign something to Aux out, you won't get it in the headphones. This is handy if you want to split your sounds and send some to an effect or separate mix.

When setting your triggers, you've got the Gain function in the Ext.Trig. button that allows you to determine how "on" the trigger is and you've got the Volume and Pan choices in the Mix button. The Output button allows you to select Main (which is also headphone) or Aux.

If I were you, I'd ignore the headphone mix completely for now and just work on the Gain settings and Mix Volume for each trigger. Just think of it like a mixing board and get the balance right for the main output/sound guy and trust me, this unit can put out a very powerful signal to the sound guy.

I have most of my Gains set at 50% and most of my Mix volumes set at 60%. When mixed with my real drums, I have my trigger mix at -15dB compared to my real drums at Unity. So clearly, I have tons of headroom on the DM5.

If I were you, I'd go into every trigger and set them all at 50% Gain and 75% output volume so you have a constant baseline to work from. Then tweak those levels up or down for each trigger until you get it sounding balanced. That gives you 50% headroom on the trigger itself and 25% headroom on the output volume to play with. On the DM5, slight increases can be very powerful.

Once you have the mix set good (and strong) you can reduce it at the headphones for your own listening (and, if needed, the sound guy can reduce it at the board.) It's a lot easier to go big and then dial it back than it is to boost a weak signal.

I have a chart that I created that helps me keep track of my trigger settings without having to jump around a bunch of screens. I write all my data down in pencil as I go and erase/re-write as I make changes so that I can clearly see all my levels at once. If you'd like a copy of the file (Excel), pm me your email addy and I'll email it to you. It has made things a whole lot easier for me.

Comment

The behringers would work well, but a cheaper option may be something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...33144&T=Module

Comment

Working...
          X