Acoustic to Electronic Drums conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic to Electronic Drums conversion

Hello everyone, In a couple months I will be moving to my new dorm and switching to a new major (music preformance)

I was able to commute until now (do to the campus being farther away from my house) I need something to practice on and I have always wanted an E-kit. However, im a poor college student and cant afford one. I have been thinking of using shells and meshheads with triggers to practice in silence and with headphones.

Here is what i have so far:

Mesh Heads
    Acoustic Shells
    Firestudio Project Interface
    Mic Cables

I know i need triggers so im saving up for that.

What else do i need?

Originally posted by GhostXNote View Post
    Hello everyone, In a couple months I will be moving to my new dorm and switching to a new major (music preformance)

I was able to commute until now (do to the campus being farther away from my house) I need something to practice on and I have always wanted an E-kit. However, im a poor college student and cant afford one. I have been thinking of using shells and meshheads with triggers to practice in silence and with headphones.

Here is what i have so far:

Mesh Heads
    Acoustic Shells
    Firestudio Project Interface
    Mic Cables

I know i need triggers so im saving up for that.

What else do i need?
    You can build the triggers yourself for far less than any commercial versions. There is a great thread in the DIY section of vdrums.com about using these specific cake pans, an inexpensive piezo from radio shack, and a few hardware parts to make excellent triggers (dual trigger if your module supports it).

I converted my acoustic kit and the expensive parts are the hihat controller, hihat pad, and the module. The rest can be done pretty cheaply.

I don't think that mic cables or the interface are going to help unless you are going to run the midi out of the drum module into your interface to trigger samples from a computer.

J
    Starclassic Performer in Red Sparkle Fade
    Snares: Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig LM402 Supraphonic
    Pearl DC Signature Snare, Tama Starclassic Performer 5.5x14
    Pearl MCX 5.5x14 w/wood hoops, Pearl FF piccolo brass and maple
    Sabian and Paiste cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by JrummerJ View Post
      You can build the triggers yourself for far less than any commercial versions. There is a great thread in the DIY section of vdrums.com about using these specific cake pans, an inexpensive piezo from radio shack, and a few hardware parts to make excellent triggers (dual trigger if your module supports it).

I converted my acoustic kit and the expensive parts are the hihat controller, hihat pad, and the module. The rest can be done pretty cheaply.

I don't think that mic cables or the interface are going to help unless you are going to run the midi out of the drum module into your interface to trigger samples from a computer.

J
      What I plan on doing is using the EZdrummer sound samples from my computer. Is it possible to just run the triggers into the interface and have the samples coming from the computer (essentially making my computer and plug-ins a module in itself)?

If so thats great news for me because thats all I want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostXNote View Post
        What I plan on doing is using the EZdrummer sound samples from my computer. Is it possible to just run the triggers into the interface and have the samples coming from the computer (essentially making my computer and plug-ins a module in itself)?

If so thats great news for me because thats all I want to do.
        Nope, no can do. You need something to control the various settings for the triggers: crosstalk, threshold, sensitivity, etc. It has to be able to take the trigger signal and convert it into midi. You would then run the midi out of the drum module and into your interface's midi in. The audio outs of the interface to your speakers.

For instance, I use the 2 modules, and send the midi from both into my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra and trigger Superior 2 in either Solo or Pro Tools.

J
        Starclassic Performer in Red Sparkle Fade
        Snares: Ludwig Black Beauty, Ludwig LM402 Supraphonic
        Pearl DC Signature Snare, Tama Starclassic Performer 5.5x14
        Pearl MCX 5.5x14 w/wood hoops, Pearl FF piccolo brass and maple
        Sabian and Paiste cymbals

Comment

Working...
        X