Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice on (smaller) LDC mics for a good price...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on (smaller) LDC mics for a good price...

I'm at work now. I got moved from drums to recording to cover the recording department today while our recording guy is on vacation. Anyways, since I had to get familiar with the products in the recording department, I came across some good deals. I'm currently using Apex 435s as overheads, so I'm looking for some mics to replace those, as well as use on guitar amps, maybe backup vocals or something. I've found some AKG C2000Bs for $100 each with shockmount. I've also found some AT2020s for $70 each with mount. I've done my research with reviews and specs and stuff, and they all seem to be OK. Not spectacular, but for the price I'm not looking for spectacular. Anyone have any experience with any of the mics mentioned so far?
    I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
    Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
    Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

I bought a, (well I got for free, we bought an allen and heath and the guy just gave it to me) AKG Vocal Mics once... the Mic was good for 2 gigs, it fell once and boom, no more mic... :/
    Masters MCX Black Sparkle Fade w/ Black hw

Vision VSX Strata White w/ Black hw

Paiste Black Alphas

Comment

the Mic was good for 2 gigs, it fell once and boom, no more mic... :/
      It was a condenser and that fall blew the capsule. You do NOT take condenser mics to gigs where stupidity is prevalent.
      -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

The AKGs are obviously the better deal for the price. Haven't used them ever, but that's over half off...you could probably make some profit if you didn't like them that much.
        Studio

Originally posted by Tay
        I can now officially say you have one of the best Sessions on the Forum...
        SMX

Comment

I think the 2020's are great mics for the money. They fared really well on a overhead shootout I did and almost lead me to selling my Karma K-10's for a pair. I'd highly recommend getting some 2035's or some used 3035's if you can though. You get one of the best shock mounts AT makes, a HPF switch and a -10db pad switch. Well worth the extra money. I did sell my Karmas and I was going to get some 2020's, but I got a pair of AT3035's for under $200 used and I think they're much nicer.

I haven't tried either mic out on a guitar cab, but for vocals they work splendidly.

Now I've never tried those Apex 435's, but I'd assume that going from those to either the 2020's or the C2000's is not going to be that much of an upgrade.

Comment

Used Cad e100s are amazing. I've used them on almost everything; paired with a SM7b or PR30 for a guitar cab, drum overhead, close mic'ed on hand percussion, acoustic guitars, voiceovers, snare shell, snare bottom, hi hats, floor toms, choirs, upright piano, grand piano, B3+Leslie 122, brasswinds, woodwinds, orchestral percussion. It handles everything very well. They have replaced SM81s as my go-to close-mic condenser of choice. I have eight. A few on shock mount and a handful with the regular mount. I mix FOH in a 2500+ seat auditorium and have a lot of high-dollar mics at my disposal.
            Pearl Session Studio Birch
            Ludwig Supraphonic
            All the Cymbals

Comment

The CAD Equitek E100s is a great microphone, there's not too many condensers with an internal noise floor as low as the 100s. My only problem is their polar pattern. They do pick up quite a bit at 180 degrees. I wish they had a cardioid or wide cardioid pattern, especially when used around a drum kit.

Dennis

Comment

well, i bought that C2000B. there was only the one. one was $100 used, and the other was $249 used.... so I picked up the $100 one and will either look for a second, or i'll use it as a center mono overhead with the 435s on either side.
                I've left the PDF. Email me at mjdurante (at) gmail (dot com).

Drums: Pearl SMX & Dream Bliss | Ludwig/Canwood & Sabian | Roland TD-12
                Restorations: Black '70s Slingerland | '66 Slingerland | White '70s Slingerland | '90s Sonor Force | CP Snares
                Bands: Captain Starr | stereoINs

Comment

Working...
                X