Best way to record from a non-usb mixer into a computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to record from a non-usb mixer into a computer

I have a standard compact mixer that does not have USB capability. I want to be able to record audio from the mixer into my laptop.

So far I have found two different products that would allow me to do this.

The Behringer U-control
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=476149

Or the Alesis
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=580882

Which of these two would be best or is there something else for a similar price that would suit me better?
    WTT: zildjian 21'' SWEET RIDE in traditional finish for the same but in BRILLIANT finish, PM ME!

Originally posted by Mike MPD View Post
    I have a standard compact mixer that does not have USB capability. I want to be able to record audio from the mixer into my laptop.

So far I have found two different products that would allow me to do this.

The Behringer U-control
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=476149

Or the Alesis
    http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=580882

Which of these two would be best or is there something else for a similar price that would suit me better?
    It depends on what you really want to do and if USB is absolutely required for inputting into your laptop. You can always just go with a 3.5mm if you've got an audio in jack.

Comment

Red/white audio into a 3.5mm adapter run into PC's line in. I've recorded like this and it worked well. Just make sure to set the levels low on the "windows recording mixer" via right clicking on the little sound icon.
      My Pearl VSX Strata Red 7 Piece Kit

My Alesis DM6 Electronic Kit

Comment

My laptop does not have audio ins or firewire so USB is the only way to go I think.
        WTT: zildjian 21'' SWEET RIDE in traditional finish for the same but in BRILLIANT finish, PM ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike MPD View Post
          My laptop does not have audio ins or firewire so USB is the only way to go I think.
          In that case, I'd go with the Behringer adapter you listed. I've used those and they work good at simply getting the signal into your PC via USB. If you have the cash I'd recommend one of these:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...ace?sku=703669
          My Pearl VSX Strata Red 7 Piece Kit

My Alesis DM6 Electronic Kit

Comment

Does the sound quality suffer with the behringer unit?

Comment

I was never a fan of Behringer products because of their reported poor quality control, but being as inexpensive that they are, a lot of people buy their mixers, headphone amps and other products. Depending on the cost of what you're looking at, it might be worth taking a chance on it, I don't know.

Dennis

Comment

What type of laptop are you using? The 3.5mm jack next to your headphone out jack is an input into your laptop for audio or mics. Almost all computers have such configurations and can assume yours does as well.

If you have such an input jack, you can download a piece of free software called Audacity. It allows you to record from your mixer. Once recorded you can edit the files, multitrack various takes and save them as MP3 or WAV files.

Comment

Recording from the input jack gives terrible quality, at least with the laptop Im using. I also heard that the signal will be stronger than the laptop can handle and can end up frying internal parts.

Comment

Recording from the input jack gives terrible quality, at least with the laptop Im using.
                    Most all-in-one (generic) soundcards for computers have very poor A/D conversion.

I also heard that the signal will be stronger than the laptop can handle and can end up frying internal parts.
                    Half true. If you have a mic-in on the computer and plug a line-level signal into it, you will fry the pre-amp. If you have a line-in, then you should be fine. The quality still will not be tops though.
                    -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

I only have a mic in, no line ins

Comment

Get a VXPocket PCMCIA card and Reaper.

Comment

Working...
                        X