Which quietrock for garage space?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which quietrock for garage space?

I am looking into building a practice space in my garage. I also do have plans for recording in the future but I just want the practice for now. What sound proofing products would you guys recommend in this situation?

FYI, this garage space is in a corner house so I don't mind some sound leak but it should be minimal.

I looked into quietrock but I'm confused as to which one to use since they range from 1/2" ($40) to 1-3/8" ($200). And, I'm not sure how good they work.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not sure how effective quiet rock products are for sound proofing at the decibel range of drums. Check out www.johnlsayers.com for lots of building techniques for sound proofing and studio building.

Comment

Budget?
      -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

get a free personalized room analysis from Auralex and see what they suggest. mention that you're considering light construction (quiterock) and so on and they'll give you some tips for soundproofing (as well as diffusing or whatever).

http://www.auralex.com/pcf/free.asp

Comment

Originally posted by ****_grayson View Post
          get a free personalized room analysis from Auralex and see what they suggest. mention that you're considering light construction (quiterock) and so on and they'll give you some tips for soundproofing (as well as diffusing or whatever).

http://www.auralex.com/pcf/free.asp
          That is exactly what i would have posted. Auralex is pricey, but great.
          FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
          http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

Comment

Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
            Yeah, it's pricey but one can find less expensive alternatives once they do the analysis. Also, interstate music sells Auralex and it may be worth checking to see if there's a 20% off coupon or something if one ends up going with Auralex to make it.....almost affordable. Partsexpress and other places will have diffusors and bass traps and so on.

I think Lowe's sells quietrock so if you end up getting some, swing by the post office first and pick up a movers guide as there's a 10% off coupon inside.

Comment

Originally posted by SLIPKNOT1 View Post
              good for acoustic treatment, but not for sound proofing. Proper decoupling is the first step to sound proofing, along with proper build methods. Quietrock is a type of drywall which leads me to believe he isn't near the stage of extra acoustic treatment. www.johnlsayers.com

At any rate, I think the best method of installing drywall (or quietrock) would be to use two separate layers. The first layer screwing into the studs (using isolators ideally), and then glue a separate layer of different thickness drywall onto the first layer (different thicknesses will resonate at different frequencies). Glueing the second layer instead of screwing is another good way to isolate the transfer of vibrations. If the drywall is resonating, then the vibration transfers through the solid screw and through the studs. By using glue, you are creating a dampening layer for the vibrations to be absorbed.
              Last edited by .:On The Rock:.; 06-28-2010, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will look into auralex but I do agree with "On The Rock". I'm looking for more of a soundproofing solution than acoustic treatment which is second priority.

I want to be able to get in there and play my drums without disturbing the neighbors.

My budget is somewhere between $5k to $8k US dollars and the garage space in consideration is 20' long x 10' wide x 7' high.

As far as quietrock goes, it was just a suggestion from a friend and nothing more than that and I'm open to exploring more options.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tanshul22 View Post
                  Thanks for all the replies. I guess I will look into auralex but I do agree with "On The Rock". I'm looking for more of a soundproofing solution than acoustic treatment which is second priority.

I want to be able to get in there and play my drums without disturbing the neighbors.

My budget is somewhere between $5k to $8k US dollars and the garage space in consideration is 20' long x 10' wide x 7' high.

As far as quietrock goes, it was just a suggestion from a friend and nothing more than that and I'm open to exploring more options.

Thanks.
                  Auralex will recommend construction ideas/materials even though they don't make them themselves. They do more sound treatment stuff, yes, but also help with regard to soundproofing suggestions.

Comment

Working...
                  X