SMX_Dizzy's Studio; Jan 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMX_Dizzy's Studio; Jan 2010

Hey everyone. It's been about 1.5 years since I posted my first studio thread. I figured I'd snap some new pictures over my holiday break and make a thread. And hey, some drum sounds, too!

Software:
    Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.1
    Ozone 4 Mastering Suite
    Reason 4

Hardware:
    M-Audio Firewire 1814
    Presonus Digimax D8
    Ashly CLX52 2-channel compressor

Microphones:
    1x Studio Projects C1 large diaphragm condenser
    1x Audix i5 dynamic
    2x Electro-Voice N/D468 dynamics
    1x Audio-Technica ATM250 dynamic
    1x Shure Beta 52a dynamic
    2x MXL 604 small diaphragm condensers
    1x Nady RSM-4 ribbon
    1x DIY subkick

So, from where I left off last, I bought the Digimax D8 last year. HUGE step up from the Behringer ADA8000. Good sounding pres with clean gain up top. I also really dig the metering up front.

Upgrade number two was a hardware compressor for tracking, mainly for kick, snare, and bass. I thought I had done some decent research and ended up with two Symetrix 525s with automatic attack and release. Bad idea. The attack was way too slow for drums, but worked ok for bass. So, I resold them, did more research, and ended up with an Ashly CLX52. Wow. SUCH a great compressor. It goes everywhere from clean to colored depending on how you dial it. It certainly does it's job well on anything I've put through it. I'm not quite sure what I'll do for my second compressor, to be used on overheads or toms. Perhaps an FMR RNC.

So, here it is:

And also, here's a quick little drum thing I did. First link is raw, second is processed.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11...4/drumsraw.wav
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2009/11...sprocessed.wav

I'm currently finishing up a 6-track EP I did over the summer and starting initial mixing on a 7-track EP I did at the beginning of this month. I'll post some of the songs when they're all finished.
    Studio

Originally posted by Tay
    I can now officially say you have one of the best Sessions on the Forum...
    SMX

Just downloading the samples now! Looking forward to hearing them!

Thats a solid setup you've got there though! How's that room sound for the type of work your doing in it? The only thing I may be worried about is sound coming off that back wall behind you when your listening to your monitors. Though there's kind of that cabnet to diffuse it a little, you could still have some issues there!

Hardware compressors, you'll be hardpressed to find something which will top the RNC for price vs sound! It's a really great comp!!

Looks nice though man! You've invested money into where you need it, and you have plans to go forward too! Well done!
    2000+ posts club!!
    My Band: Papa Eden

My Kit
    Gretsch Drums
    Gibraltar Hardware
    Istanbul, Paiste, Anatolian Cymbals
    Pro-Mark Sticks
    Aquarian Heads

Comment

I forgot to mention: the room is not fantastic. It's alright, but certainly not great. I never had the time to build bass traps and diffusors, and never had the money to buy pre-made ones (Why buy when you can build? DIY rack and speaker stands for that reason). I've gotten some good recordings in that room, though. I plan on building some soon, and if not as soon as I hope then over the summer at least. I won't be in that space over the summer, and I won't be in my summer space in the spring, so I won't really have a new dedicated room for about a year.
      Studio

Originally posted by Tay
      SMX

Comment

cool man! the drums sound great.

Basstraps don't take that long to make btw, I did 10 in 2 afternoons. It really makes a big difference.
        We hold our rebel banners up with pride. The colour's Crimson and the Hammer is the sign!

Comment

good sounds (Y) nice one! I'll never be a fan of the Beta52 but still a nice usable room sound.
          My Studio

Pearl Masters Custom, 10, 12, 14, 22, A Custom 18", A Projection 19", Sweet Ride 21", 14'' A Custom Mastersound Hats, SJC 14x6.5, Pork Pie 12x5

Mic Comparisons - Kick Floor Tom Rack Snare

Comment

Originally posted by -=Steve=- View Post
            cool man! the drums sound great.

Basstraps don't take that long to make btw, I did 10 in 2 afternoons. It really makes a big difference.
            Hopefully I'll have some free time in a few weeks to make some. I'm also submitting a small portfolio this week with 8-9 samples of some of my recordings. I'll share that with you all when it's finished.
            Studio

Originally posted by Tay
            SMX

Comment

Sounding good man. Love that floor tom sound. Good levels too!
              My YouTube channel - old school Metal & Progressive.

Drum Gear:
              Paiste, Tama, Oriollo, Trick, Gibraltar, Rhythm Tech, Aquarian, LP, Vater, Turkish Kurak.

Recording/Mixing Gear:
              Mackie 1640i, Senheiser, Beyerdynamic, Audio Technica, Shure, Apple, Logic, Ultimate Ears.

Comment

Working...
              X