Carl, got a snare question for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl, got a snare question for you

Carl, since you're the expert on the sound characteristics of the different woods and thicknesses, I figured you'd be the best person to ask about this. I'm looking into getting the limited edition BZ 1450 5x14 10ply birch snare. I plan on using it for live hardcore/metal. I need something that has serious volume and can really cut. I like the 5x14 size in general and I'm more interested in a drum with a lot of crack than something super-warm or deep. Would this snare fit the bill?

I only hesitate b/c the snare was described as a "studio" drum on the Pearl website. Seems to me that it would be a pretty heavy duty snare to be marketed as a studio drum and would work best as a high-volume live drum like the kind I need.

thanx for your help
    I need nothing but myself and the truth
    -- UTE

Intresting point..I like this drum because its the best of both worlds..It cracks like a mother,yet sensitive and warm when you need it..Im a BIG BIG fan of 10 ply snares..

One of my MW snares is 10 ply birch,but is 6.5 x14. That drum "laughs" at any guitar players rig.You really should look at Eric Singer's drum too..(10 ply maple)..That is an ear bleeder also..Both are super great drums..You need to set them side by side at a store and go at it..

I think you'd lean towards Eric's for the beef as well as crack.On the other hand, the 5.5 is a pistol to have in your arsenal also..I hate to say "buy this or that"..They both smoke, and until you give them a test drive you wont know for sure..Both are a white knuckle ride for sure...

Thanks,Carl
    Last edited by ; 02-24-2003, 03:55 PM.

Comment

"white knuckle ride?" sounds like I need one of those drums. Thanx again, Carl.
      I need nothing but myself and the truth
      -- UTE

Comment

Working...
      X