Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New 2015 Masterworks - Blue Sparkle Burst with Halo Flakes!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #76
    Sounds phenomenal! Amazing drums for sure. They all have such a clean sound to them!


    Couple questions on the kick....what heads do you have on, and how do you tune them? And what kick mic are you using? Kick sounds amazing, and I am in the trial and error stage with my new kick (masters premium). It sounds good but I know it can sound better!

    Thanks!

    Comment


    • #77
      Originally posted by LDdrummer View Post
      Sounds phenomenal! Amazing drums for sure. They all have such a clean sound to them!


      Couple questions on the kick....what heads do you have on, and how do you tune them? And what kick mic are you using? Kick sounds amazing, and I am in the trial and error stage with my new kick (masters premium). It sounds good but I know it can sound better!

      Thanks!
      Hey LD thanks! The batter has a clear Evans EQ4 on it. It's a single ply, 10mm head with an internal clear ring around the inside. I got hooked on this head back when I had my Tama bubinga kit, as this head came stock on it, and man it sounded amazing. I guess you could say it's pretty close to a Remo PS3, being a single ply head with the clear ring around the inside.

      For recording, I use a ported Evans MX1 head (1 ply). Any 1 ply head would do for the reso. For live playing and when it's not mic'd, I use the stock coated Pearl head. I much prefer the sound of the kick with a non-ported head, but to be able to mic it the way I do (mic fully inserted just inside the port hole and aimed at the point of beater impact), I need to use a ported head. Let me just say, with a non ported head, this kick sounds HUGE in person. Tons of boom and low end thud. When you stand out front to hear it, you can literally feel it hitting you in your chest.

      For tuning, my batter head is fairly loose, only about 1/4 turn or so above finger tight, and my reso I tend to tighten up quite a bit more. I've always found that the way to get the tone you want out of the kick is to play with the tuning of the reso head, and not so much the batter head. If you want a deep sound, keep your batter rather loose (tune it to the pitch you want), and then by tightening the reso head more you'll achieve the tone and overall sound you want.

      The mic I'm using is a Shure Beta 52A.

      Hope that helps

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #78
        Thanks, that helps a ton from a starting point reference. I am using an EMAD batter and ebony PS3 with the port hole in it. The EMAD should be very similar except for the external muffling instead of the internal ring (both are 1 ply 10 mil). I am pretty much an Evans kick batter guy, I have not been able to get a Remo kick head to sound the way I want in a long time, but I do prefer their ebony PS3 for the reso over all the Evans resos.

        Thanks, I will give the tuning tips a go and see what happens. I used to run EMAD2s but feel like it may be too much for these shells. The EMAD on this kit has more low end and thump than the EMAD2 did on my exports! Good shells make all the difference.

        I have an AKG D112 mic, but no mixer right now to see what the sound is like through that. Maybe after the first of the year I can work on that

        Thanks again for the info!

        Comment


        • #79
          Hey everyone. Here is my most recent drum track I recorded today. This is the first time I was able to mic the entire kit for recording, as I was waiting to acquire a couple more mics for it as well as a whole new set of mic cables for all 11 mics

          The mix is fully processed, and the drums were recorded right in my home (my not-so-acoustically-pleasing living room at that), using Logic Pro 9 and two Presonus Firepod interfaces to multitrack. No other external hardware was used, all plug ins are stock Logic plugs and all processing was done in the DAW. I'm more than thrilled with the sound I'm getting considering the gear I'm using and the environment I record in. Of course I've been tinkering and refining my recording methods for years now, but feel like I've finally reached a sweet spot. Let me know what you think!

          https://soundcloud.com/ccmdrummer08/mw-test-7

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #80
            everything in this kit is ridiculously stunning. near perfection.

            i so bustin love those lugs . they looks so minimalist it instills the visual feel of unbreakability . the finish is surprisingly awesome. i think the halo flakes has something to see in conjunction with the blue and black burst. home run right there.
            sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
            tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
            sabian HHX's/AAX's



            WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

            Comment


            • #81
              Chris,

              kit sounds wicked man! Great job with the tuning and tracking. That gong drum has wonderful sonic character and thump LOL! Gorgeous kit is an understatement!
              sigpic
              Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
              Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
              The Masters Army

              Comment


              • #82
                Originally posted by Jutt8 View Post
                Chris, kit sounds wicked man! Great job with the tuning and tracking. That gong drum has wonderful sonic character and thump LOL! Gorgeous kit is an understatement!
                Thank you Justin!

                sigpic

                Comment


                • #83
                  Originally posted by MWRushR40 View Post
                  ...but feel like I've finally reached a sweet spot. Let me know what you think!

                  https://soundcloud.com/ccmdrummer08/mw-test-7
                  Yeah, the sweet spot is those drums
                  Reference Pure #377 Scarlet Sparkle Burst Sold....onto the next. :D
                  22x18, 10x8, 12x9, 16x16, 14x6½
                  14" A Custom Mastersound, 16" K Custom Fast, 10" HHX Evolution, 10" HHX, 20" K Custom, 17" K Custom Fast, 11" Oriental Trash, 19" Paragon

                  Comment


                  • #84
                    Originally posted by RUSSH View Post
                    Yeah, the sweet spot is those drums
                    Thanks man!

                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #85
                      Originally posted by MWRushR40 View Post
                      Hey everyone. Here is my most recent drum track I recorded today. This is the first time I was able to mic the entire kit for recording, as I was waiting to acquire a couple more mics for it as well as a whole new set of mic cables for all 11 mics

                      The mix is fully processed, and the drums were recorded right in my home (my not-so-acoustically-pleasing living room at that), using Logic Pro 9 and two Presonus Firepod interfaces to multitrack. No other external hardware was used, all plug ins are stock Logic plugs and all processing was done in the DAW. I'm more than thrilled with the sound I'm getting considering the gear I'm using and the environment I record in. Of course I've been tinkering and refining my recording methods for years now, but feel like I've finally reached a sweet spot. Let me know what you think!

                      https://soundcloud.com/ccmdrummer08/mw-test-7
                      Sounds great Chris! As I listened I had to go back to Page 1 and eye the pics to envisage them being played, and waiting for the Gong!

                      Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                      8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

                      Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                      Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

                      Comment


                      • #86
                        Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
                        Sounds great Chris! As I listened I had to go back to Page 1 and eye the pics to envisage them being played, and waiting for the Gong!
                        Thanks so much Mike! Appreciate the kind words!

                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #87
                          Wow MW RushR40!... I just saw this thread and the pics today, This kit is simply stunning! You Masterwork guys are going to make me re-adjust my finances just to place an order!..
                          The recording sounds awsome and you obviously did your homework when looking for the "low, fat" sound you were after because that's exactly what you got. Very nice sound to the kit.. I just have to ask tho.. Which China cymbal are you playing at the beginning of the recording?... It sounds awesome in the mix!

                          Comment


                          • #88
                            Thank you very much! The China you heard at the beginning of the recoding was a 19" Zildjian K China. You're right in that it really stands out in the mix and cuts through well. And I got to hand pick it at the Zildjian factory

                            sigpic

                            Comment


                            • #89
                              Yeah, I'm in the market for a new China and Ive been somewhat picky about it because I haven't heard many that just have that " it" factor. Most are too harsh, too loud or whatever but your k china was exactly what I've been looking for. My ears were smiling when I heard it in your recording... Thanks for the info!.. Very nice sound indeed.

                              Comment


                              • #90
                                Nice playing man, the drums sound really good!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X