Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Masterworks offer an acrylic shell option?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Does Masterworks offer an acrylic shell option?

    I see that Chad Smith has been using a clear drum set as of late, on tour with the peppers and also on the jimmy fallon drum off.

    I am not actually in the market for one, I was just curious. I know they have the "crystal beat" pearl drums, but I was wondering if they offered a fully custom, high end acrylic kit. Apparently they got it to sound good enough for the chili peppers to use it.

  • #2
    No. I'm sure it was subbed out to pearls in house builder, that added whatever badges and lugs he wanted. Kinda like Eric singer of KISS and his master smoke acrylic kit. Al has some pics/thread somewhere of his new acrylic kit being built in house.

    Only Pearl acrylic is the CB kits
    Emerald Fade / Black Hardware BRP - 24x18, 12x9, 16x16, 18x16
    Orange Satin Swirl EXR - 24x18, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16

    Masterworks/Reference 14x6 - OCDP 13x7 - J.J. 13x6.5

    TAMA RoadPro Tom Stand FOR SALE.. PM ME!

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by FishCaper9 View Post
      I see that Chad Smith has been using a clear drum set as of late, on tour with the peppers and also on the jimmy fallon drum off. I am not actually in the market for one, I was just curious. I know they have the "crystal beat" pearl drums, but I was wondering if they offered a fully custom, high end acrylic kit. Apparently they got it to sound good enough for the chili peppers to use it.


      Masterworks are ONLY Mahogany, Maple, Birch and outer Artisan veneers. Masterworks are also only lacquer finishes. They do not do wrap kits.
      Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

      22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Stefan Ray View Post
        Masterworks are also only lacquer finishes. They do not do wrap kits.
        Incorrect
        sigpic
        PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
        22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
        PICSPICS 2
        “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
        Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Thrush View Post
          Incorrect
          No, it's not.
          Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

          22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Actually it is. Because I asked about it only in the past couple weeks, and Tom said yes.
            sigpic
            PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
            22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
            PICSPICS 2
            “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
            Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Thrush View Post
              Actually it is. Because I asked about it only in the past couple weeks, and Tom said yes.
              He misunderstood your question. They do NOT do wraps. Period! This has been covered plenty over the years. Unless something has changed in the last 30 days.

              There have been several people even volunteer to send them wrap. They do not have the materials in house to do wraps. This has been the case since I started buying Masterworks kits 13 years ago.
              Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

              22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

              sigpic

              Comment


              • #8
                ME : "Tom, can I have this finish (a wrap) on a MW order?"
                TOM : "Yes"

                Seems pretty clear cut to me?
                sigpic
                PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
                22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
                PICSPICS 2
                “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
                Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

                Comment


                • #9
                  Again, he misread your request. It's a HUGE PMI no.

                  This question had been asked about 20 times in the 13 years I've been buying Masterworks kits. The answer was always absolutely no.

                  You've never seen a wrapped MW for a reason.
                  Last edited by Stefan Ray; 06-04-2015, 11:45 AM.
                  Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

                  22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

                  sigpic

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    He didn't. I specifically asked if the drums could be WRAPPED in this finish. The answer was "yes"
                    sigpic
                    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
                    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
                    PICSPICS 2
                    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
                    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I don't know If you can or can't, and I'm not trying to be a ****, but out of genuine curiosity, why would you want a specific finish wrapped, rather than a lacquer of that finish? Wouldn't a lacquer be preferable as it allows more resonance of the shell/normally looks better? Or is it a specific wrap they do on another line that you want to recreate with a Masterworks kit? Just curious.
                      My Pearl Comet Sparkle Masterworks

                      My DW's

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Because it's a specific finish that can't be painted. But it doesn't matter. Stefan says it can't be done, so I'll just "agree" with him
                        sigpic
                        PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
                        22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
                        PICSPICS 2
                        “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
                        Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Thrush View Post
                          Because it's a specific finish that can't be painted. But it doesn't matter. Stefan says it can't be done, so I'll just "agree" with him
                          I'm not trying to be rude. I'm just stating what has been fact since 1999 when MW was born.

                          Fact 1 - No one has ever had a wrapped MW kit to include Pearl Artists.

                          Fact 2 - No one has ever seen a wrapped MW kit.

                          Fact 3 - The question has been asked numerous times with the answer being no every single time.
                          Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

                          22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Stefan Ray View Post
                            You've never seen a wrapped MW for a reason.
                            Never?


                            Originally posted by Stefan Ray View Post
                            This question had been asked about 20 times in the 13 years I've been buying Masterworks kits. The answer was always absolutely no.
                            Always no? Nope.
                            Example 1
                            Example 2
                            Example 3, and possibly the most informative

                            Originally posted by Stefan Ray View Post
                            Again, he misread your request. It's a HUGE PMI no.
                            Tom could just come on the PDF and answer for himself. As evidenced above, Carl was very involved and responsive

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by opus138 View Post
                              Never? Always no? Nope. Example 1 Example 2 Example 3, and possibly the most informative Tom could just come on the PDF and answer for himself. As evidenced above, Carl was very involved and responsive
                              Got anything post 2005? There was a member with a "RockenWrap" who was denied. This was 2006'ish.
                              Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

                              22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X