Best bass drum size for recording?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bass drum size for recording?

I have a pearl reference (standard not pure) kit I have been using for several years. I have a 24x 18 bass drum which is awesome but it only has one setting...... LOUD as hell.

I want to get a second bass drum for the studio and am undecided on what to get. I want to get something more geared towards resonance than projection so a thinner shell. A pearl reference pure 20 or 22 inch is on my list. I was also thinking of getting either an mmx or even a birch masters as I have heard they are great in the studio.

As complicated a task as that is, the real question on my mind is size. I play EVERYTHING except for straight jazz, but lighter classic rock as well as hard hitting heavier stuff so I want something resonant yet versatile. The problem is I can't take a bunch of them home with me and try them out for month with different heads, tunings and so forth so I really want to make sure I make the right call on a big investment like this.

I know there are endless variables to recording sound so this question is pretty much impossible to answer straight so here is my question.

If you could get 1 bass drum (masterworks, reference, or other) to have in the studio what size would it be? I am really thinking about going with a 20x16, might be a nice alternative to my 24.

Thanks.

In my experience, a 20" is the most versatile size unless you need like a thunderous room sound, in which case you have the 24". Tons of punch and plenty enough low end for a close mic'd modern rock recording. Feasibly tunes up nicely for jazz when you need it. I like everything shallow, but 20x16" is a pretty tried and true size.

Comment

What kind of music are you recording? That's the first question.
      Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

sigpic

Comment

Most everything except for super hardcore/shred metal or straight jazz/easy listening. Most often I am playing classic rock-ish stuff to funk/hip hop, and bluesy rock.

Comment

Originally posted by FishCaper9 View Post
          Most everything except for super hardcore/shred metal or straight jazz/easy listening. Most often I am playing classic rock-ish stuff to funk/hip hop, and bluesy rock.
          Then I'd suggest a Ref pure 22x16 kick drum. A good all around size. You'll be meeting 60's, 70's 80's with the 90's -present in the middle.
          Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

sigpic

Comment

I gave you bad rep by accident. I'll find a Mod to change it. 22" x 18" is my preferred BD size.
            sigpicPEARL DRUMS
            MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
            My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Personally I think you should buy an 18, 20 & 22“ to cover all your bases. Birch would be my wood of choice.
              Check out my incomplete snare drum collection thread. I like it and think it is quite charming. :)

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...e-drum-per-day

Comment

I'd recommend a 16x20 kick. You already have the 24 which covers a lot of your rock and metal bases, but for jazz and funk you'll want a slightly tighter sound which the 20" will give you. I don't know why you are after a 'resonant' sound, but 'resonant' kicks can be accomplished on any drum that has no pillow and no muffled heads...? Look at the tone, a 24" is a big deep tone, the 20" is not overly small tone-wise and will give you some versatility in sound as a contrast to the 24" drum.
                -=Gord=-

Need some Microphone info?

Comment

I had a 24" reference kick once. And I played lots of styles of music from rock to jazz on it. It was not a "one setting" drum at all. Depends on your style and playing technique. You have one of the best sounding kicks ever, keep it

Comment

Originally posted by Gord The Drummer View Post
                    I'd recommend a 16x20 kick. You already have the 24 which covers a lot of your rock and metal bases, but for jazz and funk you'll want a slightly tighter sound which the 20" will give you. I don't know why you are after a 'resonant' sound, but 'resonant' kicks can be accomplished on any drum that has no pillow and no muffled heads...? Look at the tone, a 24" is a big deep tone, the 20" is not overly small tone-wise and will give you some versatility in sound as a contrast to the 24" drum.
                    I agree with Gord, and would like to add that a Reference Pure 16x20 would sound really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
                      I agree with Gord, and would like to add that a Reference Pure 16x20 would sound really nice.
                      Same here. I loved my 20x16, but I love my 24x18 for live playing. 20 will give you a great punch that'll differ, easier than try to calm a 24 down.... If that makes sense
                      Emerald Fade / Black Hardware BRP - 24x18, 12x9, 16x16, 18x16
                      Orange Satin Swirl EXR - 24x18, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16

Masterworks/Reference 14x6 - OCDP 13x7 - J.J. 13x6.5

TAMA RoadPro Tom Stand FOR SALE.. PM ME!

Comment

Thanks guys! I just ordered my 20 x 16 ref pure kick drum. I got a great deal on one in natural maple, I think it will look good with the rest of my root beer fade kit. I'll be sure to post pics and review when it arrives! It's always so fun and exciting to get new drums!

Comment

I got my 20x16 ref pure bass drum. I went with a natural maple as I found a great deal and didn't want to have to wait 5 months to get it. Thankfully It goes pretty nicely with my root beer fade toms.

The fundamental tone is outstanding. very punchy. And has a nice balance between the slap and low end boom. It's nice because I really hate using too much muffling on a bass drum.

My one problem (which might be more of my problem than the drum's problem). Is the significant drop in volume from the players side. When I get rocking I don't really hear the bass drum too well. I am sure that it sounds good from the front and will when I start recording the weekend.

I wonder if I am just so use to whacking such a loud 24 inch drum that my playing dynamics are all ingrained with a louder kick. In the long run I think this will help me play better at lower volumes and improve my dynamics, but I also wonder if some other heads would open up the volume a little bit.

Currently using the stock clear ps3 batter and coated ps3 reso with no port and no muffling. Any body have any luck using pinstripes? fiberskin? Emperor or Ambassadors? either reso or batter? What about a powestroke 4? I am not looking for an e-mad or super kick muffler.

Comment

Don't worry so much. Make sure it is tuned and in a fit state. Allow the mics and staff to do their jobs.

Yes thousands of people have had luck using all of those heads.

Take a spare head or two in case needed. Take muffling in case needed. Take a spare pedal in case needed.

You know what to do. Have fun and best of luck.
                            Check out my incomplete snare drum collection thread. I like it and think it is quite charming. :)

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...e-drum-per-day

Comment

Working...
                            X