Yamaha Oak Custom??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I own a set of Oak Customs....

And I like them alot. It was between Oak Customs and BRX's as my practice set and I tried Oak customs and liked them much better, they seemed more articulate and projected better i think. They come tuned really high and i didnt really like that, and I think single ply clear heads dont bring out the sound very well. They speak best at a lower tuning they get really fat and round sounding. The bass is PERFECT, I swear this thing is a dream. Im using coated G2's on them now but plan on switching to Double Thins next time i change heads.
    About YESS. Im not a moron, and I see where people who dont have a set of Yammies would think this is a problem but this system allows the shell to resonate best in My experience, and you dont have to worry at ALL about it breaking, I promise you that. honestly, Im considering having YESS installed on my ork Pies. Hope this helped some.
    Michael
    PS If you have any questions feel free to email me at michael_glawson@yahoo.com
    Type signature here.

Comment

well, although the YESS system does affect resonance... it's hardly enough to notice, and it's still a decent system, surprisingly durable. Also, yamaha drums still sound really nice, so appareantly they're doing a few things right.

(even though they're not my preference)
      you smell of memory,
      felt-tipped electric child

Comment

i have old yammies

Turbo Tour series... they were $hitty sounding when i bought them but i got the toms cut into "fast" sizes and they sound excellent in the studio.
        Pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow!!

Comment

i like the oak customs

tried them out at my local music store and they sound excellent. I agree that the YESS system looks flimsy but they've been using it for many years now and they would've had problems with it "breaking" off, then I think they would've changed their system by now.
          I like the YESS system.

Comment

YESS mounts

Man, did I open a can of worms!!!!
            Again, Yamaha makes great sounding drums. (I've owned 2 kits, I would still own my Maple Cust Abs if it weren't for the Yess mounts). I seriously doubt the Yess mounts would actually break, but from my experience, they REALLY do choke the toms.
            I don't know maybe i got a bad kit????
            But, if you folks out there are having good experiences w/ them,GREAT!!!!!! I just wish they worked out for me!
            dutchboy

Comment

shoulda kept ur cust. abs. and put ISS on them lol cheap fix lol. And just think, the ISS mounts would've covered the holes for the YESS mounts( i think) lol

Comment

cheap fix

wickerman,
                glad to bring laughter to your life!
                I was actually able to trade my maple cust abs at a guitar center for my BRX's and not lose any money lol.
                plus, i have my dw's to fall back on.
                overall, I'm very happy w/ both.
                dutchboy

Comment

Oaks

I played on these, not a lot but a bit. These are a very nice set of drums and if I wasn't a broke 16 year old I would go out and purchase a set. They have an absolutely stunning look, and they have the sound that I've been looking for ever since I got into drums (granted that wasn't until about 4 years ago). I do love the drums and and seriously considering these as my set at the end of the summer. As for the YESS, I agree, it's not the best system in the world, but if you listen to them, they still sound wonderful. If I were to purchase these I would replace the YESS with Optimounts or some other suspension system (maybe I keep my I.S.S.). But, once again, it's what you want. Listen to 'em all.

Mike
                  Dead Air

Let me if you hear of Thursday coming within 200 miles of Cleveland

Comment

Working...
                  X