MCT vs MCX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCT vs MCX

Having trouble deciding between these two lines of masters maple drums. I feel like the MCX is more powerful due to it's thicker shells and that may be the way I want to go but the MCT likely tunes lower due to it's thin shells and I like to tune low. Has anyone that has played both models noted any differences you may be able to share? Thank you.

Originally posted by Invicta View Post
    Having trouble deciding between these two lines of masters maple drums. I feel like the MCX is more powerful due to it's thicker shells and that may be the way I want to go but the MCT likely tunes lower due to it's thin shells and I like to tune low. Has anyone that has played both models noted any differences you may be able to share? Thank you.
    My vote would go with MCX.. They just seem to have more of everything. . The low end advantage of the Complete shell is not mind blowing.. and actually get's lost in the mix IMO.. ..... I like that thinner shell on maybe the 8 and 10... but it loses from 12 and up.... and ESPECIALLY the kick which Pearl just leaves the same thin shell .. and on large diameters it really loses power IMO.

Here are a few vids in the same room with only overhead Mics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUoQgM6qL_8

https://youtu.be/v2QZDXSw_5w?t=100

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5WjntuRYDI

Comment

I have to vote MCX also. Thin shells are great but the
      projection and tone from my kit just does it for me.
      I have great success with even tuning between top
      and bottom heads. I love die cast hoops too. Just my
      humble opinion and my preferences. They are both
      great lines but for me it’s MCX hands down.
      Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
      22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare.sigpic Why not ...

Comment

I also have to vote for the MCX. I’ve never played an MCT and I’m sure they sound fine. I really like elegant look and sound of the die cast hoops on the MCX. The MCT is not drastically thinner than the MCX and you will have no problem with low tunings on the MCX.
        If you are going to be gigging with these drums, the MCX is definitely the heavier of the two.
        Drumming since 1961.
        Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
        Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
        Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

Thanks guys, awesome points made. I decided on MCX. Much appreciated.

Comment

Good choice, not that there was a bad one. Enjoy!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
            8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
            Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Picked up a double bass MCX in piano black! Super psyched.

Comment

Awesome. Pictures please.
                Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
                22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare.sigpic Why not ...

Comment

Originally posted by Invicta View Post
                  Picked up a double bass MCX in piano black! Super psyched.
                  Definitely can't wait to see that now
                  22x18 (2) | 10x7 | 12x8 | 16x16 | 18x16

22x18 (2) | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x11 | 16x13

Originally posted by Maark
                  What happens when the Unstoppable Banhammer meets the Immovable Alan12? I think the universe would implode.
                  Originally posted by space jeff
                  yeah, but I'm the Jeff that Jeff talks about when he talks about "the Jeff" to other Jeffs.

Comment

I'll for sure post them up once I get everything pieced together. Feel 100% confident about my decision now. Feels good and can't wait.

Comment

I bought and sold off kits for decades. The only one remaining is an MCX. They're great drums.

Comment

Working...
                      X