Late 80s Pearl MLX maple kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late 80s Pearl MLX maple kit

So, my main kit for about 30 years has been a pro line maple MLX kit 10/12/13/16/18/22. Single lugs (as opposed to stretch lugs), diecast hoops, a copper free floater that has long since been gone, and a Porcaro rack with square tubing. This kit's been to 40 states and 3 countries over the years - a real workhorse that sounds great and has held up extremely well. I believe the kit was new in 1987 or 1988.

The unique thing about this kit is that it is finished in black lacquer with a high gloss finish inside and out. Information on this feature has been hard to come by. Does anyone know if this is something that Pearl offered at any point?
    Thejohnlec
    Ohio Valley
    Pearl late 80s Maple MLX kit, black lacquer inside and out!
    Zildjian K
    Various vintage snares

Here's a pic from a recent show.
    Attached Files
    Thejohnlec
    Ohio Valley
    Zildjian K
    Various vintage snares

Comment

Pretty sure it was a standard feature to have the high gloss inner finish. Later models had a satin inner finish.

Your kit isn't late 80's though. The MLX had gone to the long, single piece, high-tension lugs by 1987, possibly by 1986, so you're will be pre-86, probably 84/85
      sigpic
      PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
      22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
      PICSPICS 2
      “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
      Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Looking back at the past 30+ years of drumming, I've bought and sold dozens of kits. I can't imagine having ONE kit for 3 decades but have a lot of respect for a guy who does. It shows you know what you like and are not swayed by flashy finishes, crazy tom mounts and the latest lug design.

If it's any consolation, I'm kinda that way with a few items. I still have a couple cymbals, a throne and a homemade plywood hardware box from my early days.

Comment

Originally posted by Thrush View Post
          Pretty sure it was a standard feature to have the high gloss inner finish. Later models had a satin inner finish. Your kit isn't late 80's though. The MLX had gone to the long, single piece, high-tension lugs by 1987, possibly by 1986, so you're will be pre-86, probably 84/85
          Thanks for the additional info - do you know about how long they offered matching inside/outside lacquer finishes on the shells?
          Thejohnlec
          Ohio Valley
          Zildjian K
          Various vintage snares

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
            Looking back at the past 30+ years of drumming, I've bought and sold dozens of kits. I can't imagine having ONE kit for 3 decades but have a lot of respect for a guy who does. It shows you know what you like and are not swayed by flashy finishes, crazy tom mounts and the latest lug design. If it's any consolation, I'm kinda that way with a few items. I still have a couple cymbals, a throne and a homemade plywood hardware box from my early days.
            Thanks - I've had my Zildjian Ks for almost as long and I'm a 5B guy!
            Thejohnlec
            Ohio Valley
            Zildjian K
            Various vintage snares

Comment

Originally posted by thejohnlec View Post
              Thanks for the additional info - do you know about how long they offered matching inside/outside lacquer finishes on the shells?
              I believe the inside color lacquering was done from 1983-87 for the GLX, GX and GAX (Japan).
              sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

man .. that photo looks like it was taken with a potato from the 90's .. haha

Can you post a clear pic of badge?

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
                  man .. that photo looks like it was taken with a potato from the 90's .. haha Can you post a clear pic of badge?
                  Lol!
                  Attached Files
                  Thejohnlec
                  Ohio Valley
                  Zildjian K
                  Various vintage snares

Comment

Originally posted by AL PERCIVAL View Post
                    I believe the inside color lacquering was done from 1983-87 for the GLX, GX and GAX (Japan).
                    So the MLX would've been a special order to have it lacquered on the inside?
                    Thejohnlec
                    Ohio Valley
                    Zildjian K
                    Various vintage snares

Comment

Originally posted by thejohnlec View Post
                      So the MLX would've been a special order to have it lacquered on the inside?
                      I probably forgot to add MLX I'll ask our R&D guy but I believe MLX was also included.
                      sigpic

Pearl Corporation USA | Nashville

Comment

Thanks for Badge pic ... yours is a late 83-84 MLX .. key note - made in japan with coffin lugs .. early ones were lacquered inside and out just like GLX

Comment

The MLX from Japan, any difference from the MLX made in Taiwan?

Comment

Working...
                          X