Broken ADP-30 Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken ADP-30 Thread

Hi Everyone. The threaded pivot section of one side of one of my ADP-30's has sheered clean off at a gig this evening. Anyone know if it's possible to take out the pivot, remove the snapped piece and replace it? Basically, where the wingnut, washer and spring are in the right of this image, that piece has snapped in the thread.

Hard to describe without photos. Stock image attached for reference
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Aussie View Post
    Hi Everyone. The threaded pivot section of one side of one of my ADP-30's has sheered clean off at a gig this evening. Anyone know if it's possible to take out the pivot, remove the snapped piece and replace it? Basically, where the wingnut, washer and spring are in the right of this image, that piece has snapped in the thread.

Hard to describe without photos. Stock image attached for reference
    You can tap out the the pin that holds the piece in place and remove the broken part. Then go to your pearl dealer and buy a replacement part. Put the new piece in place put the pin back (slightly hammer it in) and its like new
    Attached Files
    10 pc Pearl Vision VSX #436 Strata Red w/Black HW
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...d.php?t=246977Latest pics page 86 !

Comment

Scary, I was thinking the same thing, but unfortunately that’s not an available part. I also don’t think it’s something a hardware store will have.
      The only option, other than buying a new ADP30 is to take the piece out of an ADP20.
      Attached Files
      Drumming since 1961.
      Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
      Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
      Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by scaryguy View Post
        You can tap out the the pin that holds the piece in place and remove the broken part. Then go to your pearl dealer and buy a replacement part. Put the new piece in place put the pin back (slightly hammer it in) and its like new
        Unfortunately I don't think it's an option. Local drum shop are waiting to hear back from the distributor but 99% sure it's now cactus. Very annoying! Everyone agrees it's clearly a default in the clamp as you can tell by how clean the break is. Lifetime warranty isn't a lifetime warranty on hardware I'm pretty sure. Booooo. What a waste.

Comment

...but 99% sure it's now cactus.
          Um, what?

Can you post a picture of your actual part?
          sigpic

Comment

Lifetime warranty isn't a lifetime warranty on hardware I'm pretty sure. Booooo. What a waste.
            You are incorrect sir. Try a little research. It took me less than 3 min to find this information.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-05-29 at 7.33.27 AM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	5217682

https://pearldrum.com/support/warranty

Comment

Unfortunately I don't think it's an option. Local drum shop are waiting to hear back from the distributor but 99% sure it's now cactus. Very annoying! Everyone agrees it's clearly a default in the clamp as you can tell by how clean the break is. Lifetime warranty isn't a lifetime warranty on hardware I'm pretty sure. Booooo. What a waste.
              Originally posted by melvinspeed View Post
              You are incorrect sir. Try a little research. It took me less than 3 min to find this information.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521236[/ATTACH]

https://pearldrum.com/support/warranty
              I think you’re both correct. The US warranty certainly covers the clamp, but the warranty might be different down in Oz.
              Drumming since 1961.
              Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
              Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
              Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Conover View Post
                Um, what?

Oz lingo mate, she's cactus.. rooted... munted.. poked.. in other words, broken beyond repair!

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Josh Conover View Post
                  Um, what?

Sure! Here it is.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Okay... I see what you mean.

The roll pins can be tricky, but they make tools specifically for that kind of thing. The part will be difficult to find unless you can find a cheap donor part, but it may cost less to just buy a newer used one. I’d probably just look for a full replacement part.
                    sigpic

Comment

All is not lost. After removing the roll pin, take one of the corresponding bolts off as well. Take this to a Community College that has a Machinery class and ask the instructor if he would be willing to have a student replicate that piece for you. Ask if they could do it for extra credit or something. I mean, Hell, that's why they are taking those courses in the first place. Some instructors will only charge you for materials, which should be just a couple of clams (or whatever you use for money down there). He will need the extra unbroken side to get the correct measurements (thread type, ect.) It's worth a shot. If he says their course load is full or they don't have the time or whatever, you're only other option would be to find someone local that does machinery with a lathe and see if they can make you a new piece. Machine shops would cost your more than a new clamp would. As much as I love local shops, most these places are busy and need to focus on larger jobs, but it is still worth a shot if you want to ask around.
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X