fix worn premier roklok tom holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fix worn premier roklok tom holder

Hi all. I have a 90s XPK that came with the 1 1/8" (I think) tubing. (They moved over to 1" tube as standard later.) The ball arms slipped from day one and the bolts strip incredibly easlily. After a lot of frustrating searching for a replacement and not trusting a second hand one to be any better I bought a vintage lokfast which does the job and a more modern stand mounted double tom roklok holder (1" tube). Has anyone any experience in fixing these? The balls are shot, bolts stripped and I'm not sure if there should be plates inside to keep the bolt from digging into the ball... Enough blabbing...advice welcome!
    Pearl MCX Black Sparle Fade Rock sizes 14x6.5 snare
    Pearl export black 2x 22, 10,12,13,14,16 14 snare

The old Rokloks had nothing like an inner plate for keeping the balls in position, so the screws are making holes into the balls. So, what is the main problem of yours?
    https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...of-Collector-s

Comment

It's mainly stripped bolts and the need for replacement ball arms as balls were wrecked when I got it. Gibraltar? Isn't someone making metal ball arms now? No idea of wing bolt size. Thanks.

Comment

Stripped bolts? Ruined nylon balls? No replacement parts?

Welcome to to world of Premier, sadly :/

On the serious note, get gibraltar L-rods and tom holder and mount them on the stand.
        Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Originally posted by beermaniac View Post
          Stripped bolts? Ruined nylon balls? No replacement parts?

Welcome to to world of Premier, sadly :/

On the serious note, get gibraltar L-rods and tom holder and mount them on the stand.
          That's exactly how I feel...hence the vintage lokfast holder. Rock steady and brilliant for 4 piece setup. Never really been happy with two on top placement with this! The stand / modern roklok is great (until it goes the way of the other one...) and puts me in a much happier double bass style positioning (although I avoid double bass pedals when playing outside of metal as I'm waaay too reliant on it for fills etc.). Unfortunately I'm the sort of person who'd love to repair rather than throw away... My wife hates this!!

Comment

Originally posted by welshdrummer View Post
            That's exactly how I feel...hence the vintage lokfast holder. Rock steady and brilliant for 4 piece setup. Never really been happy with two on top placement with this! The stand / modern roklok is great (until it goes the way of the other one...) and puts me in a much happier double bass style positioning (although I avoid double bass pedals when playing outside of metal as I'm waaay too reliant on it for fills etc.). Unfortunately I'm the sort of person who'd love to repair rather than throw away... My wife hates this!!
            There's only so much that can be repaired :/ i've had the same problems with premier kits a few times in the past, gibraltar is always the solution.
            Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Originally posted by beermaniac View Post
              There's only so much that can be repaired :/ i've had the same problems with premier kits a few times in the past, gibraltar is always the solution.
              Suspected that'd be the case and have gone down that route in the past. Have some ideas I'd like to put forward to Premier with regards to the roklok design....! One of the reasons I'm so loyal to Pearl is the mounting systems. (double bass monster Export - I.S.S mounts, an old 5 piece Export - straight into shell and an MCX - optimounts...all work!) I was always wary of the ball arm mount system and now I can't stand ball arms since the Premier experience!
              Last edited by welshdrummer; 02-14-2013, 05:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by welshdrummer View Post
                Suspected that'd be the case and have gone down that route in the past. Have some ideas I'd like to put forward to Premier with regards to the roklok design....! One of the reasons I'm so loyal to Pearl is the mounting systems. (I double bass monster Export - I.S.S mounts, a 5 piece Export - straight into shell and an MCX - optimounts...all work!) I was always wary of the ball arm mount system and now I can't stand ball arms since the Premier experience!
                It's only the issue with premier's system. Others are fine. If i'm not mistaken the bolt pressures the ball directly in the premiers system (thus damaging it over time), while every other manufacturer uses pressure plates between the bolt and the nylon ball.
                Under the sign of D-beat

Un-ban nik12!

Comment

Yep, the other guys told you the soluton: Gibraltar produces great replecement parts for Premier.
                  https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...of-Collector-s

Comment

Yeah, pretty much, I simply took the L-arms out of the Rok-Lok, and placed them in Gibraltar single tom arms mounted of my cymbal stands. Here's an example of mine.

But random question: how do you like the XPKs? How old are they, what lugs and finish does it have?
                    Attached Files
                    My Pages:

YouTube
                    Facebook
                    Instagram

Comment

Sorry OT; I know very little about Premier other than that Signia's are awesome and that I really dig that kit there^^^
                      Tama Starclassic Performer 100% Birch - 22x16, 10x7.5, 12x7.5, 16x16
                      Tama Starphonic Aluminum Snare - 14x6
                      Sabian AA/AAX/HHX/HH
                      Evans Drumheads, Pro-Mark Drumsticks

Comment

Originally posted by tbonedrumcam View Post
                        Yeah, pretty much, I simply took the L-arms out of the Rok-Lok, and placed them in Gibraltar single tom arms mounted of my cymbal stands. Here's an example of mine.

But random question: how do you like the XPKs? How old are they, what lugs and finish does it have?
                        I love my XPK. I think it's circa '92, same lugs as yours. Fusion sizes 10,12,14, 20 & 14 snare in topaz lacquer. I tend to use it in smaller venues...always seem to be crushed into a corner as seen in pic so tend to just go with 12" on top!
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	XPK.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	5166080
                        Last edited by welshdrummer; 02-13-2013, 06:02 PM.

Comment

OK, I'm sort of digging up an old thread here, but I have a roklok double tom mount from an early 90's XPK with the 1 1/8" down tube and ball in socket l-rods.

One of the nylon balls is cracked and destroyed, and the second is getting there. I purchased the Gibraltar 10.5mm L-rod with nylon ball replacement, and it appears the Gibraltar ball is just slightly larger and does not fit properly in the Premier socket. Have others had this issue? I hate to switch it all over to Gibraltar parts, but I don't know if I can find a Premier replacement l-rod and ball. Even if I could, who knows if they haven't changed the size of the ball since it doesn't appear to be standard with Gibraltar/DW/Tama.
                          I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

Originally posted by wsgnst View Post
                            OK, I'm sort of digging up an old thread here, but I have a roklok double tom mount from an early 90's XPK with the 1 1/8" down tube and ball in socket l-rods.

One of the nylon balls is cracked and destroyed, and the second is getting there. I purchased the Gibraltar 10.5mm L-rod with nylon ball replacement, and it appears the Gibraltar ball is just slightly larger and does not fit properly in the Premier socket. Have others had this issue? I hate to switch it all over to Gibraltar parts, but I don't know if I can find a Premier replacement l-rod and ball. Even if I could, who knows if they haven't changed the size of the ball since it doesn't appear to be standard with Gibraltar/DW/Tama.
                            Could you not sand the ball down to the proper diameter?

Comment

Originally posted by sticks4drums View Post
                              Could you not sand the ball down to the proper diameter?
                              I was actually considering doing this, but wanted to see if anyone had tried it. Or see if a correct replacement was available.
                              I own or have owned drums and cymbals made by every major manufacturer. My go-to kit is a DW Collectors series set.

Comment

Working...
                              X