Remote hi hats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote hi hats

I've recently got a second set of hi hats, and at the moment have just managed to set the second set up on a normal stand, this is not ideal though as it just doesn't sound as natural and even the closed sound is TOO closed sounding.

So, I've been looking at getting a remote hi hat stand and came across this fairly cheap one on ebay but as there's no brand name and not much info on it, so I was wondering if you lot knew anything about it? It's here:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-High-Q...item3f1ee358b0
    or should I just save and fork out more for a more well known manufacturers remote hi hat stand?
    Selling:
    Tama Artwood Black 13x6.5" Snare

PM me - UK

I have heard about these before. I think the genera concensus on these was to save your money. Most people prefer the dw . It has the best review, interchangeable lines, smoothest feel. With that being said I will eventually get the pearl rh. It was smooth enough for me and I feel that it looks better, never mind the price difference.
    Originally posted by AL PERCIVAL
    in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed........... :D
    my sessions (work in progress)
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...n-custom-maple

looking for: anything satin

Comment

That is cheap. It's about $87 US dollars plus shipping which will probably be as much as the remote hi hat. It's still a bargain if it works well and lasts. There's an old adage, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is. It's strange that they don't list the manufactorer. I've been thinking about a remote hat as well to replace my x hat. Hopefully someone will chime in that owns one of these.
      Drumming since 1961.
      Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
      Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
      Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

It's free shipping to the UK as well where I am which seems to make it more tempting, and it has a 1 year warranty... Almost worth it just for a play around
        Selling:

PM me - UK

Comment

^^ Agreed.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
          8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
          Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

even if you read up on the top notch ones there is always wanking about cables breaking and when they do they are expensive. I traded a cymbal for a broken yamaha remote hat and i was able to fix it function very well, However my experience is that transporting and storing this luxury is one big pain. I would think that the cheapie will be a good lesson that these things although very cool, might be the most finicky piece of hardware that you can buy. I would go with a trusted brand like pearl, dw, most likely pearl as i have herd they have the best customer service........ and the odds higher than average that you will need to exercise warranty rights down the road.
            got G.A.S. ?

Comment

The cable on the Pearl remote, which is the part most likely to break, is only guaranteed for one year. That should tell you something about its durability. I know people that have the DW and they claim it is the most natural feeling. It's also the most expensive. I was checking google and found a Griffin (never heard of them) for $113.95
              http://compare.ebay.com/like/310360132924?var=lv<yp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var= sbar
              Drumming since 1961.
              Pearl MCX 8 Piece Bronze Glass
              Many Paiste Cymbals

Tama SLP Fat Spruce 4 piece
              Zildjian K Custom Dark Cymbals

Comment

For 54 quid and a year warranty, you really can't beat that. I have no idea why remote hats cost so much anyway. If you think about it, the only thing separating a remote from a regular stand is a cable.

Now, take it from a guy who has owned 3 remote hats, a Yamaha, a DW, and a Peace, perhaps the most important thing is mounting. It doesn't look like the remote you are looking at comes with a bar and clamp. You'll want to get a bar that is at least an inch or two longer than your hats. The clamp I recommend is the Pearl AX-25. It will allow you to move the remote to comfortable positions.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Comment

I just happened to have a Gibraltar no-leg snare stand that I wasn't using when I had my DW remote which came with a bar that was too short for my 15" hats. (why, DW?) Anyway, I used the bar that came with the Gibraltar piece, which worked out great. If you can find out the length of the Gibraltar, I recommend that bar. Here's also a pic of the Pearl clamp I recommend.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys, I might get my self one of these after Christmas when I can afford to splash out on myself again. I've pretty much got everything I need to mount it, so if I end up getting it, I'll just get the cheap one and will come back and write up a review on it
                    Selling:

PM me - UK

Comment

Working...
                    X