Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demon drive revamp!!!

Hey Everyone,

I just want to share my review on the Demon Drives with you all. Firstly...Amazing pedal... no doubt about it. Its my new favorite and I hope to exceed many areas of my drumming using them!!!

Some of the things I've done to "revamp" the pedals are these.

(1) Replacing the stock locking nut in the beater holder assembly...pictured are 2 styles...the stock lock nut and also my black non locking nut... I think the non locking nut is the way to go...I got one of my bolts stuck in a locking nut and had it snap in 2...then in 3 when I tried to salvage the nut haha

(2) Switching the beater holder assembly upside down to give me the leverage I want in this pedal. It not only lines up with the linkage better as compared to the other companies like Axis etc... but this also allows me to use the FULL height of the beaters without being 4" from center on a 22"... its a truly amazing setting...please try it.

(3) Have you experienced "play" from the Ninja Bearings?!?!?! Well I sure have and had to call my rep about it...seems its something that is occuring in these first runs and Pearl is looking to resolve it... either by replacements or solutions!!! Well here guys... I was so upset when I got this "play" in my pedals I couldnt believe these super nuts bearings were causing me grief......The play was not as noticable in the singles but the slave of the double sure did stand out and made alot of noise in motion.

SO the solution? (Dear Pearl...please pay me in a masterworks of my choice hahaha) is to take out the bearings and install a regular old pearl SPRING in between the bearings!!! This TOTALLY fixed my pedals and would cost Pearl about 2 cents!!! The springs I used are from an AX38 clamp and have totally stop all my "play" ...theyre the perfect diameter to match the shaft and will spin freely inside the DD framework. DO THIS!!!

(4) And for my last trick i'll be looking into powdercoating my pedals so that they're not so "dirt sensitive"...just by adjusting them they seem to get pretty mucked up... so if I can I hope to be the first with black/orange Demons.

Hope this helps everyone who loves their Demons as much as I do... I wouldnt send them back if they told me to haha!!!

Mike
    Attached Files
    Looking for the RAREST Pearl snare of all time.

I just tried a DD single pedal at guitar center about 1 week ago. Pretty nice, i'd like to try a double sometime. I don't think i'm brave enough to make the switch to another pedal. Also it wouldn't make much sense for me since i already have 3 pairs of axis.
    When are we going to see some hyper fast double bass videos with the demon drive from you Mike?
    brand new band: www.myspace.com/coronationdm
    My Trick 7pc Double Bass kit AKA "too Blue!"

Comment

i havent noticed any problems like youve mentioned... ill have to keep an eye on that
      Emerald Fade / Black Hardware BRP - 24x18, 12x9, 16x16, 18x16
      Orange Satin Swirl EXR - 24x18, 12x9, 14x14, 16x16

Masterworks/Reference 14x6 - OCDP 13x7 - J.J. 13x6.5

TAMA RoadPro Tom Stand FOR SALE.. PM ME!

Comment

Originally posted by slow95cobra View Post
        i havent noticed any problems like youve mentioned... ill have to keep an eye on that
        Same here.

SKB|Remo|KickPort|Pearl|Zildjian|Vater|LP
        Masterworks Snare, 8X14ff 20 ply!
        Masters Premium BRP
        VP Snare
        Zildjian

Comment

Thats good to hear guys... I hope your pedals serve you well!!!

I played mine last night with my Black Metal band Black Frost... we play 270+ in some parts... man the Demons never let me down... even the drummers of the other bands who used Axis,Cobras told me the power of my Demons is unreal

Mike

Comment

$650 for pedals and you had to do all that??? Sorry man, so not worth it in my book. I would have brought them back. We all know how much double IC's and Elim's are, around $330ish. I never had to do ANYTHING to my ICs in 3 years except clean them with a duster, Nor have I ever heard of people with Elim's having any problem either. Personally, I think Pearl should have waited to get all the bugs out before releasing them.
            I want to tenderly caress your face.....with my fist

Mapex M-Birch in Black Forest Cherry
            Ludwig 6.5 Supraphonic
            Sabian Paragons

I love you grandma!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Machine View Post
              (2) Switching the beater holder assembly upside down to give me the leverage I want in this pedal. It not only lines up with the linkage better as compared to the other companies like Axis etc... but this also allows me to use the FULL height of the beaters without being 4" from center on a 22"... its a truly amazing setting...please try it.
              I tried this last night and am very happy with the results on my 24" kick. Thanks heaps! I never would have thought about trying that...

Comment

I am going to try inverting the beater holder assembly. Where did you get the orange beaters btw? I switched to the "rubber tipped" IC beaters and am loving them. I have also found that I love long board mode!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Stefan Ray; 08-17-2009, 07:40 PM.
                Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

sigpic

Comment

Well this a nice response...i'm truly happy to know i've found a setting that does/might suit other players... because thats why drummers are always creating/trying new engineering...we ALWAYS blame the product haha

As for saying they "shouldnt" need the attention...well neither should Axis or Trick...but they do require sensitive adjustments... personally i'm understanding to Pearl doing their best to MASS produce an amazing pedal...and imo succeeded!!!

The orange beaters are the new Demon Wood beaters Stefan...they're about $50 each but well worth it... they feel so much better than the felt if you like a powerful stroke/quick response.

Thanks again for listening and please let me know here how you all make out with your Demons...this is our chance to have pearl listen to "US"... the drummers... think about why they felt the need to create a SPEED/SMOOTH/POWER based pedal when they already matched the market with the Elims... it's because they're listening to US!!!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Machine View Post
                    Well this a nice response...i'm truly happy to know i've found a setting that does/might suit other players... because thats why drummers are always creating/trying new engineering...we ALWAYS blame the product haha

As for saying they "shouldnt" need the attention...well neither should Axis or Trick...but they do require sensitive adjustments... personally i'm understanding to Pearl doing their best to MASS produce an amazing pedal...and imo succeeded!!!

The orange beaters are the new Demon Wood beaters Stefan...they're about $50 each but well worth it... they feel so much better than the felt if you like a powerful stroke/quick response.

Thanks again for listening and please let me know here how you all make out with your Demons...this is our chance to have pearl listen to "US"... the drummers... think about why they felt the need to create a SPEED/SMOOTH/POWER based pedal when they already matched the market with the Elims... it's because they're listening to US!!!

Mike
                    It is an oustanding pedal. Did you order those beaters? I want some, but have been unsuccessful at finiding any.
                    Pearl Reference Drums - Sabian - Evans - Vater

22x20x2 18x16 16x16 13x9 12x8 14x6.5

sigpic

Comment

I too would like to know where to get them. I have been using the rubber tipped IC beaters, and the short board mode.

Yes Stefan I am back !!!

I finally said hell with windows and went and got a 24" imac, and am just blown away.....wow.

I have now gone back to the demon drives now that the issues were resolved with my first set.

Would like to find the wood beaters though.
                      Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Y2K, dw Collectors Series Black Velvet and Marine Pearl, dw Snare drums - Edge, Marine Pearl, Black Velvet, Paiste Signature and Zildjian Z Cymbals, dw 9002, 9500 High Hat, dw Rack, Rolling Riser, Roland pads, Roland TD-10 and 20X Modules / dw stands

Comment

I ordered mine from Erikson Canada... Bean..what "issues" did you experience?

Mike

Comment

$50 each for a wood beater? Wow. So thats around $750 for a set of pedals that you had to "revamp" and partailly rebuild? Nobody sees anything wrong with that?

Sorry guys, I know you love Pearl and all, and normally their stuff is great....but I think alot of people bought into the huge hype about these pedals. For that kind of money you shouldn't have to do a damn thing to them except put your feet on them. Once again, sorry if I pissed anyone off. Just my thoughts.

Ludwig 6.5 Supraphonic
                          Sabian Paragons

I love you grandma!!

Comment

The issues that I had were with the adjustment on the beater stroke adjustment. I changed it to try the finesse feel, and when I put it back the bolt locked up and I could not tighten it. So I replaced the bolt, etc.

I sent a list of the issues to Al and Gene wanted to take a closer look at the pedal. If I find the e-mail I will copy and paste it. There were a couple of issues, as is to be expected of any new product, especially a hardware product of this magnitude.

That is why I now own two doubles. If one goes down and I have to return it, I have the other.

I originally went back to my 9002's but I migrated back to the DD because, for me, it works quite well. My legs never get cramped, and my solos are more fluid than they used to be.

I don't have to worry about what I want my feet to do. I just think what part I want to play, and the connection between my brain and this pedal is pretty cool.....ha ha ha .
                            Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute Y2K, dw Collectors Series Black Velvet and Marine Pearl, dw Snare drums - Edge, Marine Pearl, Black Velvet, Paiste Signature and Zildjian Z Cymbals, dw 9002, 9500 High Hat, dw Rack, Rolling Riser, Roland pads, Roland TD-10 and 20X Modules / dw stands

Comment

Originally posted by bean View Post
                              There were a couple of issues, as is to be expected of any new product, especially a hardware product of this magnitude.
                              Attached Files

Ludwig 6.5 Supraphonic
                              Sabian Paragons

I love you grandma!!

Comment

Working...
                              X