Recommend a double kick?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by thismercifulfate
    I know you live in Aus., but I'm sure you could find some way to try out some of the pedals out there. This is gonna turn into another post where on one side the Pearl fans are going to rave about the infinite adjustability of the Eliminators, and then the Tama fans about the indestructability of the Iron Cobras etc... those all mean nothing if you don't like the pedal. I personally love my Iron Cobras, but some people prefer others. The Eliminators might be very adjustable, but if you still don't like the feel despite the adjustments what's it all for? In the end, the Tama Iron Cobras, Pearl Eliminators, DW5000/9000, Flying Dragons, Axis, Trick etc.. pedals are all decent products, so exercise your power as a consumer and pick out the pedal which feels best for you and don't get lost in the fog of marketing.
    Best post I read in the last weeks.
    Noone of these pedals is gonna fail if you maintain it correclty and if don't jump on it.
    Looking for 08x08 or 08x07 Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute nouveau tom in black sparkle

Comment

Originally posted by shakermaker1983
      I extensively tried almost all top pedals, including Eliminators, 5000's, 9000's, Iron cobras, Flying Dragons. I owned a single 5000 and currently own single and double Eliminators. Well this is what I can tell:

-Dw 5000: great feel right out of the box, probably my absolute favourite feel. Great hinge design, but I heard they wear quickly. There are some things I don't like about it (that is why I sold it):
      a) the footboard casting with the protruding text didn't allow slipping of my feet
      b) the velcro under the red plate: absolutely useless on hard surfaces where you can't use the spikes, and on carpets it's a nightmare if you have to slightly move your bass drum. Dw should learn from Pearl and use rubbers inserts.
      c) limited adjustability if compared to other pedals

-Dw9000: too smooth for my taste (but you could like it), and too costy. The footboard is ok for slipping. Withouth a toe stopper (maybe even with it) I kept on hitting the springs with my toes. Same Velcro issues on the underside. The infinitely adjustable eccentricity makes it quite impossible for repeatable setups. Same potential hinge wear issues.

-Eliminator: great feel, right there with the 5000. Unmatched adjustability, construction quality, attention to details. Only thing I don't like is the hinge design. There's no sweet spot, you have to decide if leave the hinges factory set (that is slightly but noticeable choked footboard and no lateral play), or slightly loosen them to have a smoother pedal (longer pendulum movement) but a slight lateral play. I know I'm asking too much, but with 5000's and Cobra's you have smoother hinges and absolutely NO lateral footboard play.

-Iron Cobra: too powerful feel for me (but you could like it as well). Great quality. I don't like it hasn't the option of changing cam's eccentricity. Great hinge design.

-Flying Dragons: I liked a lot the feel, but I'm scared with Yamaha's technical solutions, like the quick release hoop clamp, and the self-folding function.

If it was me, I'd choose between 5000, Eliminator and Iron Cobra, based on feel. However, pay attention to the footboard design if you let your foot slip on your pedal. Also consider those velcro issues if you go Dw, it's been a nightmare to me. When I sold my 5000 I thought it's been engineered by someone that hasn't ever used a pedal or carried one to a gig.

Hope it helps!
      Everything good, but that "I am scared with Yamaha's technical solutions.....".
      Did you ever had any problems, or you just say what others say?
      Looking for 08x08 or 08x07 Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute nouveau tom in black sparkle

Comment

Originally posted by metallas
        Everything good, but that "I am scared with Yamaha's technical solutions.....".
        Did you ever had any problems, or you just say what others say?
        I have not had "problems" but I played those pedals and I prefer not to have those useless solutions (to me) to solve non-existant problems, and maybe cause other issues. Like I said in the other post, when one keeps on carrying hardware to a gig feels the need for maximum reliability and ease of use. Since it seems to me the Flying Dragon has not been designed with that in mind, I chose another pedal.
        Pearl Drums:
        Red Sparkle MMX: 24x18; 22x16; 14x5; 14x6.5; 13x9; 16x14; 18x16; 14x6.5 MHX Snare
        Purple Sparkle MHX 14x6.5 snare

Sabian HH Cymbals:
        14" Regular Hats, 17" & 18" Medium-Thin Crashes, 18" & 19" Medium Crashes, 20" & 22" Classic Rides

Comment

Originally posted by shakermaker1983
          I wrote what you said, read my post again
          Sorry. I didn`t understand what you were saying.
          I agree with the Yamaha thing. You need a certain amount of time to set the pedal. And that bass drum clamp is good when playing constantly with your drum. But when you change drums night by night it becomes a nightmare considering different thicknesses of the bass drum hoops.

Comment

Hey thanks for suggestions guys :]
            Going to try out some pedals on the weekend!
            I love mangos

Comment

Originally posted by Grof Drobikus
              Sorry. I didn`t understand what you were saying.
              I agree with the Yamaha thing. You need a certain amount of time to set the pedal. And that bass drum clamp is good when playing constantly with your drum. But when you change drums night by night it becomes a nightmare considering different thicknesses of the bass drum hoops.
              Nailed it. Also, I don't like the use of special keys to adjust the pedal. I don't know if this has been fixed though.
              Pearl Drums:
              Red Sparkle MMX: 24x18; 22x16; 14x5; 14x6.5; 13x9; 16x14; 18x16; 14x6.5 MHX Snare
              Purple Sparkle MHX 14x6.5 snare

Sabian HH Cymbals:
              14" Regular Hats, 17" & 18" Medium-Thin Crashes, 18" & 19" Medium Crashes, 20" & 22" Classic Rides

Comment

I know you live in Aus., but I'm sure you could find some way to try out some of the pedals out there. This is gonna turn into another post where on one side the Pearl fans are going to rave about the infinite adjustability of the Eliminators, and then the Tama fans about the indestructability of the Iron Cobras etc... those all mean nothing if you don't like the pedal. I personally love my Iron Cobras, but some people prefer others. The Eliminators might be very adjustable, but if you still don't like the feel despite the adjustments what's it all for? In the end, the Tama Iron Cobras, Pearl Eliminators, DW5000/9000, Flying Dragons, Axis, Trick etc.. pedals are all decent products, so exercise your power as a consumer and pick out the pedal which feels best for you and don't get lost in the fog of marketing.
                i couldn't have said it any better.
                Flying Over Rio
                https://soundcloud.com/rico7
                https://open.spotify.com/track/3lceIGs8j4A4MSZXRYdXFw
                Tama SC Birch/walnut
                Tama DynaSync
                Paiste Cymbals

Comment

Hahaha sure... although it's great, don't let that sticky get into your head too much. DW wouldn't be selling pedals if they broke in most cases.

They simply break more often than others, where most other pedals have almost never been broken.
                  I love how people read a post on this forum and all of a sudden EVERY DW pedal breaks from the lightest tap.

I've used DW pedals my whole playing career (about 20 years), most of that with an 80's model 5000 double, and it never broke on me. I would stand on them regularly and I generally weigh about 275lb or so.

Don't let other people tell you what to play. Play what works for you.

Comment

u in aus,.. ok go check out the pearl p122tw double pedal,.. ull prob pic it up now for about 350, they are a great pedal they have the same drive shaft as the eliminator,. u can move the footboard back and forth into 3 different positions like the eliminator for light, medium, and a more heavy feel, they are single chain,. but hey, i play in a metal band i play them hard and i play them fast and they have held up about a year now, they are nice and take care of them they will remain smooth great pedal,.. they are basically an eliminator with a few less things u can change,.. so go check them out and if u like them,. they wont break the bank

Comment

Originally posted by khomel
                      I love how people read a post on this forum and all of a sudden EVERY DW pedal breaks from the lightest tap.

I've used DW pedals my whole playing career (about 20 years), most of that with an 80's model 5000 double, and it never broke on me. I would stand on them regularly and I generally weigh about 275lb or so.

Don't let other people tell you what to play. Play what works for you.

i didnt say there terrible just not as good as the others IMO and there more expensive most of the time. ive had 2/2 dw pedals break!
                      :cool: give me rep and i will return the favour :cool:

guitar fund £125

Comment

Working...
                      X