Job Opportunity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Opportunity

For those that may have considered, or maybe never considered a job with a Military Band, this is an absolutely INCREDIBLE opportunity:

http://www.armyfieldband.com/pages/v.../ja_drums.html

The U.S. Army Field Band Jazz Ambassadors announces the following vacancy:

DRUMS

Resume/CD deadline: Received by May 29, 2015
    Audition date: July 27 & 28, 2015

Printable vacancy flyer

The Jazz Ambassadors

THE JAZZ AMBASSADORS of The United States Army Field Band is the Department of the Army's premier touring jazz orchestra. Since its formation in 1969, this 19-member big band has received great acclaim both at home and abroad performing at international jazz festivals and in joint concerts with major symphonies at high-profile venues including the Kennedy Center and Carnegie Hall.

QUALIFICATIONS: Professional performance level Proficiency in a variety of styles of music (i.e. jazz, funk, pop, Latin/salsa, Dixieland) Strong sight-reading skills Baccalaureate degree or higher preferred, though not required Ability to meet Army height/weight standards Must be 17-34 years of age U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien

SALARY: $58,623–$60,919 (Army rank of Staff Sergeant)

JOB DESCRIPTION: Perform as Drummer in the Jazz Ambassadors Tour approximately 100 days per year in the U.S. and abroad Support Educational Outreach Program in schools across the nation Position requires a minimum 4-year enlistment—the candidate will be informed of acceptance prior to enlistment Other duties as required in service to the organization

BENEFITS: 30 days paid vacation annually Medical and Dental care, plus medical care for immediate family members Post Exchange and Commissary privileges Educational benefits such as the Montgomery G.I. Bill and tuition assistance

AUDITION PROCESS: Please submit a recent resume and preliminary CD by the "Resume/CD deadline" date above (MUST BE RECEIVED BY THE DATE ABOVE).

The recording should include tunes of your choice in a combo and big band setting in the following styles:

1.Fast swing (sticks and/or brushes);
    2.Medium swing (sticks and/or brushes);
    3.Swing ballad (brushes);
    4.Latin (Salsa/Brazilian);
    5.Contemporary (R&B/Funk);
    6.Pop/rock/country tune of your choice;
    7.New Orleans/Dixieland (Second Line);
    8.Open drum solo in a big band or combo;
    9.Additional skills such as singing, arranging or secondary instruments may be included not to exceed five minutes in length.

Please submit the excerpts from our website recorded without accompaniment. Please submit the ballad and the samples of your improvisational skills recorded with live rhythm section or with a play-along track.

No electronic submissions are currently being accepted; audio CD is the preferred medium.

Applicants selected from screening of recordings will be invited for a personal interview and audition. Travel expenses will be paid by the United States Army. Military personnel must be eligible for permanent change of station and must submit an Intent to Release memorandum from their unit Commander.
    Due to recent enlistment policy restrictions, prior service personnel are advised to consult with their local Army recruiter concerning eligibility.

The U.S. Army Field Band
    4214 Field Band Drive
    Fort Meade, MD 20755-5330
    Phone: (301) 677-2455 or 6231
    Don't try so hard, the world needs Ditch Diggers TOO!!!!

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8

Pearl Drums - click links to see(SBX, MMX, BRX, MLX, GLX, REF, and MW), Pearl Hardware, Lots O Cymbals

wow. for sure a high profile wage (over 60k's )and a high profile duty as well. they play everywhere,are on the road over 100 days a year. no doubts the players who will make it to the audition aren't 2 of spades,strong sight reading skills among others things, and foremost an already well filled bank of '''i know it on my fingertips'''' songs in every possible style.

it's not a job,it's a position lolll.
    sigpicRUSH FOREVER RUSH
    tama SC B/B anthique sunburst 14-10-8-10-12--16-22 - reference snare 14x5-pearl ultracast 14X5- pearl FF brass 14X5-tama hardware/pedals
    sabian HHX's/AAX's

WTB:AAX -HHX-SR2's large crashes

Comment

Can they transfer the one chosen to another dept say infantry?
      dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

Dale, I'm not sure what you're asking; or if you are asking in Jest. The "Special" bands are VERY well known and have a History of having some of the BEST players in the Country ( Steve Gadd was a Drummer with the US Army Studio Band, the Pre-cursor to the Jazz Ambassadors). If you are selected, if you make the audition, your Army contract will assign you to the US Army Field Band/Jazz Ambassadors. You'll attend Basic training, then go to the Armed Forces School of Music in Norfolk, VA. Upon completion of the School of Music, you'll earn the MOS of 42S, Special Band personnel (AND SSG Rank and pay to match). If you GOT to the school of music with your resume/video/audition, they aren't going to just send you to 11B (Infantry) course for kicks. The WORST that could happen (and I don't see it happening, as this is a specific job with the Jazz Ambassadors) is that you go to one of the OTHER Army bands as a percussionist. Read the BIOS of all the musicians within the Jazz Ambassadors: http://www.armyfieldband.com/pages/r...s/ja_bios.html These Soldiers aren't some garage band "Hacks", they are educated professionals at the top of their game.

I KNOW that most people on this board aren't very interested in serving in the Military, it is what it is. The reality is that there might be ONE person on here, interested enough in that kind of gig to put together a resume. OR, someone on this board may KNOW another drummer who is interested. This isn't BS, but a gig that could change the course of someone's life. There was a SGM/E-9 that just retired from the US Army Field band after 25+ years of service, ALL of it IN the Field Band (the Parent band to the Jazz Ambassadors). What the Vacancy doesn't talk about is the opportunity for the assigned musicians to build up a pretty healthy private instruction gig TOO. A lot of those musicians listed are available for private lessons in the Ft Meade/Baltimore/DC area.

This is all just information for someone thinking about making a change in their life. It is definitely NOT for everybody.
        Last edited by CoyoteG; 03-08-2015, 09:42 AM.

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!" -Isaiah 6:8

Pearl Drums - click links to see(SBX, MMX, BRX, MLX, GLX, REF, and MW), Pearl Hardware, Lots O Cymbals

Comment

No, I am totally serious. I was just wondering if someone signed on would this spot be guaranteed for the entire time of their enrollment. I heard many of young people who have been in the service & are able to transfer almost anywhere they want due to their skills and there are others who have been mislead by a recruiter and were put in something & somewhere they despise. If I was signing on for the military strictly because I wanted this job, I would have to know it is mine before I signed on.

Let's say I send in the performances requested and I am selected. Then I go to the audition and bomb it and they do not want me. Do I still have to stay in the military or can I just walk away? This is something I would want to know if I was signing up strictly to be in this band.

Considering my schooling, I wish I could feel confident enough to attempt an audition like this regardless if it is for the military or not. My Latin playing is just too far below par.

Comment

Dale, If I understand your question correctly, if they call you in for a live interview, you still haven't signed any paperwork. Lets say you get down to FT Meade, hang out with the band for the day, and decide it really isn't for you? At that point you can just walk away. If you ARE accepted by the band, AND you decide to enlist, you'll have an acceptance letter to present to the MEPS station for your contract (if the contract doesn't say what it is SUPPOSE to say, then don't sign it) AND a POC for the band recruiter if you have ANY questions during the process.

Part of all of this is having the personal confidence to be able to go into a "cold" auditorium and PLAY (at the level that people expect). It is NOT a cockiness of a typical "Rock" musician, but a quiet confidence of a Professional. In the bios, you'll see that the singer has NO "formal education" as a singer, and in fact was originally a Fuel Handler. She is just THAT good of a singer and has the confidence to "hang" with the big boys and girls. Even the Drummer that is leaving has no "Formal" education (like most of the others), but has a LOT of experience playing with professional musicians.

If I were in YOUR position, I would take the next 6+ weeks and sharpen up my Latin playing and put in the video. MAKE them tell you NO. Who KNOWS? They could call you down for the interview, you and all the band members CLICK, and you get the gig. Too many people 2nd guess themselves and in 20 or 30 years, they end up with a lot of "what ifs" and "Could have beens". Getting along with the other band members is probably just as important as being a competent musician.

EVERY musician has SOMETHING that they are "weak" in, that they know they need to work on. Even Steve Smith is always working on Something, improving.

Comment

Though I appreciate the encouragement, I am not going to do this. I am married, own a business, happy where I am at musically both artistically & professionally, and even if I wanted to join, they would not take me due to me having epilepsy. I am just curious of the process. The military has always fascinated me. I would be the type to want to be Top Gun/Delta/SEAL or runaway to Canada if I was drafted. I am not sure which.

Comment

Dale. no worries. And I completely understand. I do appreciate you asking the questions, as others may have many of the same questions. Just for honesty sake, I have absolutely NOTHING to do with the Jazz Ambassadors or US Army Field band; and am in NO way employed BY the Army. I have a far distant connection to the Studio Band/Jazz Ambassadors and just believe that this really is that good of an opportunity for SOME people.

Here's Steve Gadd with the US Army Studio Band (the video isn't very good quality, but it's the first known video footage of Gadd): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzFWSYFX4J8 and my dad with the US Army Studio Band (he shows up at the 19:00 mark in the video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bk20lAH9XGA Of course, these are OLD videos, and things are different today than they were then. I went and spent an afternoon with the Jazz Ambassadors about 5 years ago. They were absolutely Awesome and bent over backwards to help me.

Comment

I had a friend/teacher who had done that and loved it. I'm 47 so I'm out, but always thought it looked very cool
                  Jeff Wald – Masterworks Artisan: Red Bubinga Burstwith Gold Hardwaresigpic

Comment

Must be US citizen?

Comment

Actually, according to this, US Citizen OR permanent resident alien: QUALIFICATIONS: Professional performance level Proficiency in a variety of styles of music (i.e. jazz, funk, pop, Latin/salsa, Dixieland) Strong sight-reading skills Baccalaureate degree or higher preferred, though not required Ability to meet Army height/weight standards Must be 17-34 years of age U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Wald View Post
                        I had a friend/teacher who had done that and loved it. I'm 47 so I'm out, but always thought it looked very cool
                        Don't feel too bad, I'm 46 and retired from the Army for almost 4 years now, so I'm out too. I just think it's a really GREAT opportunity for someone that LIVES to make a living playing drums.

Comment

Originally posted by CoyoteG View Post
                          Actually, according to this, US Citizen OR permanent resident alien
                          Alas, I'm Canadian, not Kryptonian.

Comment

For any that are curious about the audition process or anything else, this is the newest Jazz Ambassador's Drummer, Wes Anderson https://www.facebook.com/wesandersonmusic on his Facebook page are some videos of his audition and his thoughts and feelings going into it. My congratulations to Wes, he's got some really big shoes to fill.

Comment

I think my old instructor used to play in this group. I know he was the section leader in the official Army band at one time, and I think he did this as well.
                              sigpic
                              DESPERATELY SEEKING A MHX BASS DRUM WITH A BB-3 TOM MOUNT IN WINE RED

Comment

Working...
                              X