Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long time drummer becoming a PERCUSSIONIST!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ordered myself a 12" Remo mondo djembe. I have owned a 14" for about 20 years and love it. With Christmas coming up, I have the perfect excuse to splurge and get another. The smaller size will be a bit handier. In addition, back in 2012, Remo replaced the sharp lugs with nice rounded ones. Looking forward to this new instrument.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy H View Post
      Ordered myself a 12" Remo mondo djembe. I have owned a 14" for about 20 years and love it. With Christmas coming up, I have the perfect excuse to splurge and get another. The smaller size will be a bit handier. In addition, back in 2012, Remo replaced the sharp lugs with nice rounded ones. Looking forward to this new instrument.
      Would like to see when you get it, a justified splurge Don't see the word used often, yet I literally just got an email from a provider called splurge that I cancelled years ago. Must be a sign to splurge on something myself

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
      8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
      Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Andy, it's so great to hear about your new gig and how much you're enjoying it.

It's interesting in that I was just talking to a couple of my bandmates about joining their more frequent acoustic gigs. Gonna pic up a used Pearl cajon and sing backup vox and some leads.
        sigpicStill Way Too Much Crap

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
          Would like to see when you get it, a justified splurge Don't see the word used often, yet I literally just got an email from a provider called splurge that I cancelled years ago. Must be a sign to splurge on something myself
          Sure. I'd be happy to send a photo once I get it.

The new model has some improvements: They eliminated the sharp metal lugs and replaced with smooth rounded ones. I'm also looking forward to the smaller size. Although the 14" sounds great, it's challenging to switch around between songs.

Comment

Originally posted by JY Kelly View Post
            Andy, it's so great to hear about your new gig and how much you're enjoying it.

It's interesting in that I was just talking to a couple of my bandmates about joining their more frequent acoustic gigs. Gonna pic up a used Pearl cajon and sing backup vox and some leads.
            You're definitely missing out on a lot of fun. Even adding a simple clave tap to a song is fun as you can see and feel the impact that your contribution adds to the song. Just like drumming, you can cue changes, add a different feel and push/pull a song as needed. There's a couple songs where the drummer (who's actually much better than me) has trouble with timing or changes. I dive into those weak areas and cue him as needed. He loves it!

I play seated on a drum throne. My set up: djembe between my legs, 2 cowbells &1 wood block mounted on a cymbal stand out in front of me, home made percussion table to my right piled high with rattley, jingley stuff. Out in front I have a mic stand with two drum mics. One is pointed low at the djembe. The other points high to pick up my hand percussion. My set up is still evolving. It literally took months to figure out microphone positioning and sound.

Playing percussion has opened me up to additional playing opportunities.

Comment

The percussion gig is still going strong. I still don't know what I'm doing, but the rest of the band hasn't figured that out yet. I pretty much play the djembe like a steering wheel! I like these guys.

My other band (where I am the drummer) has disbanded. Very amicable. Too many health issues with the other members. Getting together to practice requires a standby ambulance crew.

Comment

Working...
              X