Cajon "setup" for acoustic gig...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cajon "setup" for acoustic gig...

Thinkin about trying this little setup for next weeks acoustic gig we got! Put a Gibraltar cajon pedal Soft beater on my kick pedal and play it backwards. Works awesome! Heres a pic when I was messing around w it.....Let me know if anyone has ever done this, your thoughts....
    Attached Files

I've been taking my cajon to gigs in place of a throne and a second kick pedal fitted with a Vater bomber beater set up just like yours. Playing the pedal with my heel is made easier by calibrating the pedal - I adjust the angle of the beater so that it is closer to the cajon. That setup frees up one hand to play a shaker or go around the kit.

Comment

Very very interesting. love the idea.

Comment

Awesome! When i fidget with my feet it's often with my heels, so i've always thought playing a pedal would be cool...

Old kit: Gretsch New Classic

Comment

MJC,

Cool idea, but why not just turn the cajon around so that the sound hole faces toward the audience and you wouldn't need to play the kick pedal backwards.

MM
          2021 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD, 10x12 FSD

2022 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

Comment

Originally posted by MusicMan View Post
            MJC,

Cool idea, but why not just turn the cajon around so that the sound hole faces toward the audience and you wouldn't need to play the kick pedal backwards.

MM
            Because I'm sitting on the cajon also. I'm not just using the cajon as my "kick". Its my throne, and when I just play w my hands, I just move the pedal outta the way.

Comment

Originally posted by mjc View Post
              Because I'm sitting on the cajon also. I'm not just using the cajon as my "kick". Its my throne, and when I just play w my hands, I just move the pedal outta the way.
              MJC,

That makes sense.

MM
              2021 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD, 10x12 FSD

2022 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

Comment

Sweet little setup.
                yamaha club custom
                Paiste Sigs
                2002's
                Pearl Omar Akim snare

Comment

I know this is an older thread, but I ask, why not get a cajon pedal? They're not very expensive and you don't have to play it backwards? This was my set up for a gig a couple of weeks ago.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	10891978_612719315541522_8911404142387500361_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	5188781
                  https://www.facebook.com/x.rikki.woods.x
                  http://reverbnation.com/thebathwater
                  sigpic

Comment

You don't sit on the clarinet, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by nik12 View Post
                      You don't sit on the clarinet, do you?
                      What do you mean? How else does one keep from falling off when things really start to rock?
                      sigpic

Comment

love these inventive little setups....i get the whole cajon thing...but to me, it'd be just as easy, and better sounding tp use a little kick drim, like a 16x16 flr tom conversion....

Comment

Originally posted by chilledbongo View Post
                          love these inventive little setups....i get the whole cajon thing...but to me, it'd be just as easy, and better sounding tp use a little kick drim, like a 16x16 flr tom conversion....
                          In my case (photo above) I was specifically told that "drums" were not allowed...thus even the floor tom conversion wouldn't have worked. It was an interesting night, to say the least. It did go over really well.
                          sigpic

Comment

Went to a R&B/Soul acoustic gig last night and was impressed by this cajon based set up. The drummer was one of the most well known in NZ and he hadn't even played a cajon before taking this gig 6 weeks ago. The pedal opened up many more possibilities with hand held percussion, and he had a foot mounted tambourine that was cool.
                            Attached Files

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                            8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                            Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Looks fun

A friend has a similar setup, he uses regular bass pedal as he likes posh footwear and wants everyone to know. Sounds great with a pzm Mic inside.

I take it you ride on the crash? I'd recommend using a light stick in your left hand as rods suck the soul out of snares and make buzzes etc tricky

Comment

Working...
                              X