Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pearl Competitors

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Pearl Competitors

    What do you guys think of them? Has anybody ever tried using them in a line and would like to share their opinion? I'm talking specifically about the cmsx model.

  • #2
    Why isnt anybody answering me????????

    Comment


    • #3
      I don't think any one knows what your talking about. I don't. Please clarify
      Originally posted by AL PERCIVAL
      in its most simplistic terms, snare's cannot be played "All the time". They need their sleep too!, thus the snare bed........... :D
      my sessions (work in progress)
      http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...n-custom-maple

      looking for: anything satin

      Comment


      • #4
        pearl Competitor cmsx marching snares

        Comment


        • #5
          I'll be honest, stay away from them unless you're planning on purchasing them for an elementary or middle school line. They aren't designed for kevlar heads, so you're stuck with mylar on the snares. I mean, if you want to play on mylar, by all means go ahead, but it won't sound like a normal marching snare.

          If you can afford it, go with a Pearl FFX. It's not only a far superior drum, but it sounds pretty good with almost any head combo. I like either a Remo Black/White Max over an Evans MX5 or the ubiquitous Evans Hybrid Grey over MX5.
          Pearl Vision VBX | Yamaha/ Tama Snares | Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Innovative Percussion/ Vater Drumsticks
          Yamaha MTS Snare| Innovative Percussion Sticks

          Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy drum gear and that's pretty much the same thing

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Mr. Intensity View Post
            I'll be honest, stay away from them unless you're planning on purchasing them for an elementary or middle school line. They aren't designed for kevlar heads, so you're stuck with mylar on the snares. I mean, if you want to play on mylar, by all means go ahead, but it won't sound like a normal marching snare.

            If you can afford it, go with a Pearl FFX. It's not only a far superior drum, but it sounds pretty good with almost any head combo. I like either a Remo Black/White Max over an Evans MX5 or the ubiquitous Evans Hybrid Grey over MX5.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ajbn...eature=related

            but yeah i do plan on getting a champ. i was just wanting to know what everybody thought of it.
            Last edited by ajcf1995; 02-05-2012, 10:47 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              I know they use kevlar heads in that video, but they aren't designed for them. Yes, they have a normal collar for the head to sit on, but the hoops are the Pearl Superhoops, the same kind that come on the drumsets.

              Hypothetically, if you were on a strict budget for a school, you could probably get away with the Competitors, but I would still try to find Champs to use.

              Anyways, good call with the Championship; have you picked out a color/head combo for it yet? You'll have to post pictures in the thread somewhere around here with all of our marching drums.
              Pearl Vision VBX | Yamaha/ Tama Snares | Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Innovative Percussion/ Vater Drumsticks
              Yamaha MTS Snare| Innovative Percussion Sticks

              Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy drum gear and that's pretty much the same thing

              Comment


              • #8
                We have the Championships at our high school. Not the newer ones with the Pearl logo on the free floating shell, but the ones without it. They sound OK at best. That is with new heads too. I really hate the Evans stuff. Very generic sound IMO. I think that if I ever get a marching snare, I'm going with a Dynasty or Yamaha SFZ. Those things are amazing. Save up for those if you can.
                Black Lives Matter

                Tama Starclassic Maple

                Selling a minty 14x6.5 Ian Paice Signature Snare! DM for info!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Mr. Intensity View Post
                  I know they use kevlar heads in that video, but they aren't designed for them. Yes, they have a normal collar for the head to sit on, but the hoops are the Pearl Superhoops, the same kind that come on the drumsets.

                  Hypothetically, if you were on a strict budget for a school, you could probably get away with the Competitors, but I would still try to find Champs to use.

                  Anyways, good call with the Championship; have you picked out a color/head combo for it yet? You'll have to post pictures in the thread somewhere around here with all of our marching drums.
                  Yeah i plan on getting either a black max over falam xt or a grey hybrid over mx5
                  i think ill try remo first though. And i want a newer version ffx in black.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ajcf1995 View Post
                    Yeah i plan on getting either a black max over falam xt or a grey hybrid over mx5
                    i think ill try remo first though. And i want a newer version ffx in black.
                    Good call. I personally like the Hybrid over MX5 combo, but I love messing with other weird ones. Right now I'm testing a Black Max over an Evans Hybrid Snareside head. Next I'll probably try a Hybrid-S over a Hybrid Snareside.

                    It's fun to play with different sounds.
                    Pearl Vision VBX | Yamaha/ Tama Snares | Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Innovative Percussion/ Vater Drumsticks
                    Yamaha MTS Snare| Innovative Percussion Sticks

                    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy drum gear and that's pretty much the same thing

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The only thing good about the copetitor high tension snare is the fact that its 3 pounds lighter than the ffx

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Depending what it's being used for the Competitor traditional model is great for Parade Corps where weight is a factor . No you won't get the sound of a high torqued snare but it's all about what you need .They are defiantly NOT a DCI WGI drum .

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          If you are getting it for personal, then i think it is fine. But if you are not getting a harness with it, why get it lighter. If you are trying to practice marching, then get it. I have the Championship FFX marching snare, and i love it. I personally dont think it is too heavy, it is where quality is at.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X