Off tempo snare player

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off tempo snare player

I started marching band this year(my freshman year) playing snare. Our school is almost brand new so the band is pretty small, consisting of 2 snares, one of them being me, one bass, and a tenor. We would sound pretty good if it wasn't for one problem, our other snare player. He constantly gets off time, or gets lost on simple rhythms, and it really throws us off. Is there anything we could do to help him out? No amount of straight 8ths at a constant tempo has been able to fix this kid.
    Check out my Jelly Bean Vistalites!
    http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...wig-Vistalites

Hate to sound so harsh, but it sounds like you need a cymbal player... I've had this problem before. Some kids just don't have rhythm. If this is the case, drumline is not the place to put them. PLUS if your band really is small, there shouldn't be much of a need for two snares.

But if you do decide to keep him on snare, and you really want to put the work into him, start some private lessons. whether your a student or a teacher, private lessons would be beneficial. But like I said, rhythm is natural. sorry about the short length of the message, and I hope this helps. We just got done with our first halftime of the year. 36 returning members 35 freshmen.

Comment

Buy him a metronome as a present. And force him to practice everything with it.
      Gretsch Catalina Maple

Comment

Kill him.

Wait, no. Bad solution.
        sigpic

It's important to play the spaces. Silence can speak so loudly.
        Carter Beauford, modern drummer september 1997
        Originally posted by MisterMixelpix
        Yeah I gotta admit she managed to tune her cymbals pretty well.

Comment

i would say put him on cymbals or bass, if you dnt want to, make him learn everything with a metrenome, basically what everybdy else said.

talking about 8 on a hand, just the two snare players go through and do all your licks like that, and do your rudiments like that, and put a met. in the background.

Trying to make a home studio, pm me if you have any tips! :D

My Youtube

My Myspace

My Mapex pro M in Vanilla Cream Pearl.

My old set, ddrum D2 custom

Comment

Originally posted by The Dreaming Tree View Post
            Kill him.

Wait, no. Bad solution.
            I've come close, lol.
            At our first football game, he messed up basically EVERYTHING we played, and then would turn around and try to tell the tubas(who were doing great) how to play. Ugh.
            Check out my Jelly Bean Vistalites!
            http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...wig-Vistalites

Comment

Private lessons

Metronome

Make him hit the plates

Comment

our school has the same problem we have 2 rookies who cant even keep a quarter note no matter how many times i get the dr. beat on them they can never get it right... my solution is make them run until they get it right or hope they quit (if your school does that and u have the authority)

Comment

I usually feed these kind of kids to my sharks.
                  KayAun

Originally posted by EXHUMED
                  Good thing you guys are just America's hat.
                  Originally posted by space_jeff
                  incorrect, America is Canada's arse :D

Comment

Put a practice pad on his drum so no one hears him?
                    Here's a confession: I'm in love with a man. What? I'm in love with a man... a man named God. Does that make me ***? Am I *** for God? You betcha.

Comment

Running your kids isn't gonna make them any better drummers. It's really on them. If they wanna play snare (or whatever) on the line, they have to prove they can do so, or at least prove that they're willing to try a bit. If they can't do that, then dump them onto something else.

Comment

Talk to the instructor about it, and bring up the suggestion that because of his inability to keep time, and his arrogance (by "trying to tell the tubas how to play") that he may need to sit performances out until he can shape up.
                        "If you'd just look; Look inside yourselves; You'll find the answers to your pain; The hardest road; The hardest road to enlightenment; Presents a constant test; Of your resolve; Time for you; Time for you is running out; The human race must evolve; Must evolve" - Come What May by Iced Earth

Comment

I agree with the above poster. If he's not putting in the time and has an attitude about it, then he shouldn't be performing.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X