Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like your marching program? Honestly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like your marching program? Honestly.

Well, Everyones program is different, but do you like it? My program is going down hill. Our good, talented band members are gone ...no one likes the instructor , our school takes forever to order something **$ ...are they all the same? Or am I just in a bad school for band? Discuss
    Originally posted by Chioffe
    next time send her a picture of Satan burning a child.

well i like our band program at east central high school in indiana. all of the percussion feels like our percussion director is like a big brother, but our head director could loosen up a bit. our school is very mean towards the band as in like the student body and our principal, but our two assistant principals and our superintendant really supports the band. and what's also awesome is that we just got all new drumline.

Comment

Our drumline rules, but the band is fulled with immature tools.
      But we're not doing too bad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeste...#Marching_Band

Comment

Our band program isn’t very good. We use to be the best in the area but our school decided our director made to much money and replaced him. Since then it has gone downhill quick. Our new director is ok but he doesn’t know how to have a little fun so everyone hates him.
        HC drumline
        04-05 snare line
        05-06 cymbals
        06-07 1st bass
        07-08 snare line/section leader

Comment

We're just....eh. We don't have as many good people as we did last year, so it'll be that much harder. Also, we play some pretty boring songs :\
          Gretsch Catalina Maple

Comment

we used to be the best around, then people became less involved, stuff got more expensive and funding fell. our dl instructor..... while he is an amazing jazz drummer, he dosent really help anyone other than snares and he dosnt think us girls should be on the line. other than that our staff is great.
            BLHS drumline
            07 through 10-tenors
            yes im a girl and yes i play percussion, got a problem with it?
            female percussionist rule!

Comment

At my school(or what was my school since i graduated) i had a good time, but I didnt really like how everything ran.
              I will start off by saying we were not drum corps style, so we didnt compete. We just did parades football games and a bunch of random performances. I did enjoy the fact that we were not that style. i dont hate drum corps, but i think our style was more fun(but i could be wrong)

Any way, our music department has a band director, choir director, and a strings director, and then a guy who is in charge of all of them at the school, and then another person in charge of all the fine arts teachers in the district.
              The guy in charge at the school hates the band and spends all the money on the different singing groups, and the musical we started putting on every year.
              We dont get that much money anyway so we have been playing the same snares they played when our director bought when he came in in 1993, and we were able to buy new snares and basses after i think getting money from the city probably 7 years ago.
              We dont have a drumline instructor, and the middle schools music programs lack teaching so we get a bunch of people who come up that cant play, but our band director lets them join anyway, and that leaves the ones who can play to teach them everything.

i think our program has been going down hill over the past couple of years. I noticed a big change in the discipline in the kids since ive been there.

The current director is going to retire after this coming year, and the guy that will most likely take over for him is great. I think he will do alot to change the band for the better. And they have been talking about a percussion instructor coming in sometime in the next couple years, Im just sad I wont be there for it.

Even though I have those opinions of the band, people from all around the state have great things to say about us, even complete strangers, and we have had some great performances like Main St USA in Disney World, and even for First lady laura Bush when she came to connecticut last year.

Sorry that was so long

Comment

I LOVE my band. And I especially love my battery. We're all really close... almost everybody gets along in the band..and thats great for a 170 peice band. We're shooting for 2 state titles in a row this year Our Staff is great...they've ALL been in corps....and they're all percussionists (except for the guard instructors of course) so unlike many bands I know of, our percussion section doesn't go without.

I don't want to leave after this year!

Comment

My band director says band isn't about competition...its not...but now we have 1 comp. Nothing else...our whole year will be a waste of work.
                  Originally posted by Chioffe
                  next time send her a picture of Satan burning a child.

Comment

Yeah I like it I guess. I hate how much time it takes.
                    Our snare tech (I guess you could call him that) marches snare for mystique. And our visual instructors march phantom.
                    Paiste Cymbals Artist | Innovative Percussion Artist
                    jeffmeloen.com

Comment

Though we have a good band, a great staff, and the best show our school has ever had. I'd still say no. This is my last year because I'm starting to realize that high school marching band is a waste of life. The moments are fun. The rest is terrible.

Our motto last year was literally, "Winning is fun."

Comment

Originally posted by Slaptastica
                        Though we have a good band, a great staff, and the best show our school has ever had. I'd still say no. This is my last year because I'm starting to realize that high school marching band is a waste of life. The moments are fun. The rest is terrible.

Our motto last year was literally, "Winning is fun."

judging by the frown face after your motto, I assume you disagree with it.

And I agree with you disagreeing with that motto lol. Its fun to enjoy what you do. And who cares what judges think if you think you're good. Its about making music, enjoying the music, enjoying the crowd...making the crowd enjoy you. We were the Mississippi 5A state champs last year (by four full points) but our championship run wasn't my favourite performance. My favourite one was out of state where we got second. We were no doubt the crowd favourite.... the only band to get a standing O. Even the home band didnt. We played so well that literally half the band, and most of the battery, came off the field crying. We couldn't have cared less that we got beat. We layed out hearts out on that field and we threw it down. Thats what its about. The joy of the performance.

sorry about that long winded post lol.
                        Last edited by Redeye; 07-23-2008, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Are program has been regaining strength ever since my class first joined. The percussion section now is much stronger as well. We got a new drum instructor my 7th (I think) grade year. Anyways, by the time I graduate everyone in the section will have gone through that program, which should help out a great deal more.

But yes, yes I do love are marching band program. We have great upper-class man, a strong middle section, and a great class coming in. Also marching band is not are "lives" like a few local marching bands, where they are at band camp 2-3 weeks for 7 hours a day. I'm very happy to work with the people I do, and get a chance to be in the program I am.

EDIT: I'm very pumped for this year. Out of the 4 competitions we get to go to, 2 of them are in the big colleges . Last year we played one big college, one big high school and two small high schools. This year we'll be playing Mizziou and Springfield (can't recall the school name). Along with this, we have the honors of representing MO in the Memorial Day parade in Washington, D.C. I cannot wait for that. . Not to mention the first day of drum camp (today) went excellent. It might help that we don't have any new freshman on the line (no offense, I was one of them last year) but they just don't know the ropes as well. This year is really shaping up for some greatness.
                          Last edited by THSdrummer; 07-23-2008, 08:30 PM.
                          I love when my cymbals talk dirty to me.
                          Tama Swingstar
                          My Ocean Sparkle Kit
                          My Ebay
                          Currently After: 8x7, 16x13, & 20x18 MMX Ocean Sparkle w/ Satin Hardware - Please PM if you found some!!

Comment

I've only marched one year with my current program, and it's also a really new program at the school. But from my experience it's okay. There is definetely some talent there, especially in the melodic sections, but the low brass and saxes are always just really weak sounding. The drumline was good, but there's plenty of room for improvement. But speaking of improvement, I see a lot of potential for it this year. I'm not marching, but I'm gonna help teach the line and front ensemble, sort of tech. Should be a cool experience.

Comment

I sort of agree with Jimithing, our drum line is pretty tight. There are just those few kids who dont care, and dont practice at all. Homestead has had some amazing drum lines, and some not so great drum lines. The thing that separates the two, is friendship. The lines where everyone hangs out all the time are always better than the lines who only see each other during practice. We have gotten away from that the past few years and need to bring it back. Our band program as a whole is awesome. Our staff is great, we have tons of community support, and the majority of the members care enough to put the effort in to improve. I would not trade this program for any other.
                              Freshman year-2nd Bass
                              Sophomore Year- Snare
                              Junior- Snare Captain

Comment

Working...
                              X