Please identify this Gretsch kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please identify this Gretsch kit

It was bought in 2001 for £1400, but it isnt usa maple because i dont think they are die cast hoop, and the finish is laquer. Its not renown because it doesnt say it on the badge.
    Additions: custom ordered 20x18 BD,
    tripple flange hoops
    rosewood LAQUER
    Attached Files
    Last edited by matty boy; 02-09-2006, 01:37 PM.

Looks like a Renown Maple...
    Could you give us a close-up of the badge?
    Tama Star, 101 snare drums, Meinl Cymbals, Vic Firth sticks, Evans heads, Slickbag bags

WORK OF ART
    My band

Comment

looks a bit like a USA custom me thinks
      22x16
      12x9
      14x11
      14x5.5 beverly 21
      14x3.5 premier 2034

Comment

Can't help, but nice kit!
        Believe me, it is "BASSDRUM", not "BASEDRUM".
        Nils' Website DER TROMMELSTIMMER
        Main Kit

Comment

Originally posted by matty boy
          It was bought in 2001, but it isnt usa maple because i dont think they are die cast hoop,
          i think it is a usa maple, hoops look the same....
          http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=series&sid=311
          Masters.

Comment

looks like the catalina series..try to get a closer shot of the badge.
            I play with strings and sticks.

Comment

That looks like the first generation Renown Maple - I have one. They are identifiable as follows: 1. Badge just says Gretsch, 2. Virgin Bass drum AND 6 lug flanged hoops on 10" & 12" toms, 3. The inside of the shells are painted silver. The big thing to remember is that at the time your kit was sold higher end kits had all the above features except they had 5 lug die-cast hoops on the 10" & 12" toms.

If you ask this question on Drumforum.org you will get a very thorough response. There are members there that are HUGE Gretsch afficionatos as well as Tommy Wells who has been a Gretsch endorsee for 20+ years. They were very helpful to me when I purchased my Gretsh set.
              Drum Tuning Bible

Comment

yea I would like to see the badge... looks very nice though

Comment

Originally posted by Stuyou
                  That looks like the first generation Renown Maple - I have one. They are identifiable as follows: 1. Badge just says Gretsch, 2. Virgin Bass drum AND 6 lug flanged hoops on 10" & 12" toms, 3. The inside of the shells are painted silver. The big thing to remember is that at the time your kit was sold higher end kits had all the above features except they had 5 lug die-cast hoops on the 10" & 12" toms.

If you ask this question on Drumforum.org you will get a very thorough response. There are members there that are HUGE Gretsch afficionatos as well as Tommy Wells who has been a Gretsch endorsee for 20+ years. They were very helpful to me when I purchased my Gretsh set.
                  Hey, you've mentioned that forum quite a few times in reference to Gretsch so, I joined

Comment

Cool
                    Drum Tuning Bible

Comment

it looks like a catalina, any pics of the badge?
                      http://wompasaurus.com

Comment

hi sory, ive been at practice, Its not a renown because aparently they say "renown" on the badge. They were made in around 2000 so i think they might be an old series. OPh and i also now know that they are tripple flange hoops. Here is the badge:
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Stuyou

Oh and by the way the bass drum is custom ordered (size 20x18) so the original might not have been undrilled. Its not my kit BTW.

Comment

Newer ones say "Renown"....back in 2000 & 2001 they did not.

Your set is probably a "Renown".
                            Drum Tuning Bible

Comment

20x18 was a standard size in 2001
                              Drum Tuning Bible

Comment

Working...
                              X