My new Gretsch Renown bop kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Gretsch Renown bop kit

Hey everyone, just got my new kit through the post I've had a play on it after setting it up and tuning it and I have to say, it sounds incredible, exactly the sound I was looking for! The toms are so smooth and the bass can sound pretty low and big, or it can be tuned to a nice round higher pitch, love it!

Thanks to everyone who put forward suggestions in my previous thread, it came down to the best deal I could find when I had the money and I'm really happy with my choice

So, specs:
    Gretsch Renown in Silver Oyster Pearl
    12x8
    14x14
    18x14
    Pearl Virgil Donati signature snare (pictured) or Ludwig Supra 14x5
    Tama Iron Cobra hi hat stand and bass pedal, assorted other hardware
    Pictured are the clear Evans G2s that came on the kit, but I have Remo Coated Ambassadors waiting for when I feel like I have time to stop playing it and change over the heads.

Cymbals:
    13" Zildjian K/Z hi hats
    20" Istanbul Azure ride with Pro Mark cymbal rattler
    22" Zildjian K Constantinople Renaissance ride
    Also set up are my 20" Bosphorus Stanton Moore Trash Crash and 18" HHX China because I couldn't be bothered to take them down...

Right, time for the pictures (sorry, they're from my phone)...
    Attached Files
    Gretsch Renown in Silver Oyster Pearl 12x8 14x14 18x14

A few more...
    Attached Files

Comment

Wow!! That looks amazing, I love it. Congrats !!
      "Fast is fine, but ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING"
      - Wyatt Earp

Comment

Originally posted by Risen Drummer View Post
        Wow!! That looks amazing, I love it. Congrats !!
        Thanks a lot mate! Gotta say I love the finish on it, I checked them all out and this was my favourite, almost ended up with a matt black one (for some reason it was cheapest) until I found this in a clearance deal, pretty happy!

Comment

Man, very sweet. Can't help but love it. Clean and classic.
          Pearl Reference #103 Piano Black
          12x9 | 13x10 | 16x16 | 22x18 |
          Paiste
          Signature | Noise Works | 2002 | 3000 |
          Sound Formula | Alpha |
          Looking for 14x14 Reference Floor Tom in 103 Piano Black

Comment

very nice kit.
            how does the istanbul ride compare to the zildjian?
            mudroom

Comment

Originally posted by spx118 View Post
              Man, very sweet. Can't help but love it. Clean and classic.
              Thanks a lot mate, I was going for the classic look when I got it, so I'm glad you said that!

Originally posted by mzd View Post
              very nice kit.
              how does the istanbul ride compare to the zildjian?
              That's a tricky one to answer... The Istanbul is a little bit more defined and not quite as 'complex' as the K Con (when I was picking the K I went for a pretty thin and washy one out of the ones I found), but the K has a really beautiful shimmer to it that I haven't heard in many rides. Both rides have a good crash, but there's a sound from the K where you hit the bow of the cymbal with the tip and the shaft of the stick at the same time that really makes an explosive shimmery sound that sounds amazing. For me the K Con Renaissance model is my favourite ride for small group jazz I've ever played, it's such a nice sound and I'm really glad I got it, but for anyone else I'd probably recommend the Istanbul, purely because of the price. When I got the Istanbul about 2.5-3 years ago it ran me £180, which is ridiculously cheap for a ride here, while the only time I've seen a K Con Renaissance model here it's been £440, fortunately I got mine in Texas for $500 which works out as £320. So personally I love the K Con and I think it is an astonishing sounding cymbal, but it really isn't worth over double the price of the Istanbul.

Eventually I'll put a couple of rivets in the Istanbul rather than having the Pro Mark Rattler (it's too thick and takes away a bit too much tone) and I'm thinking I'll get a K Custom Special Dry ride, because that should give me an awesome contrast between the 3.

Comment

that's really lovely. seldom do i see a kit on here where i like every single piece. that's one of them. just about perfect.....ill bet that little kick sounds nice and tight. perfect cymbals, and ideal hardware....i just switched to the ic lever glide hihat stand myself. the best, period.

Comment

Originally posted by chilledbongo View Post
                  that's really lovely. seldom do i see a kit on here where i like every single piece. that's one of them. just about perfect.....ill bet that little kick sounds nice and tight. perfect cymbals, and ideal hardware....i just switched to the ic lever glide hihat stand myself. the best, period.
                  Cheers mate, glad you think so! The kick sounds awesome, it took me a matter of minutes to assemble it and tune it to exactly how I wanted it to sound, it's really easy to work with. I started off tuning it quite high to a resonant note and it sounded beautiful, now I'm trying it at a lower tuning and it sounds really nice, tight and punchy, lovely. Glad you like the cymbal set up, it's getting there, just one dryer ride and I'll be happy with it! And yeah I agree about the IC hi hat stand, the lever glide is so smooth and it's so solid as well as being priced really well. Definitely beats all the DW and Pearl stands for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gaffro View Post
                    Thanks a lot mate! Gotta say I love the finish on it, I checked them all out and this was my favourite, almost ended up with a matt black one (for some reason it was cheapest) until I found this in a clearance deal, pretty happy!
                    Im sure your glad you went with this instead of matt black, i love a matt black but this kit destroys that finish. Well done
                    "Fast is fine, but ACCURACY IS EVERYTHING"
                    - Wyatt Earp

Comment

Sweet kit man, classy.

Pearl Masters MCX Bronze Glass
                      8x7 | 10x8 | 12x9 | 14x14 | 16x16 | 20x14G | 22x18

Originally posted by Mike Foreman
                      Practice makes perfect. But ultimately, I am living proof that you don't need to play well to enjoy gear. You might be surprised how much enjoyment you can get while still sucking.

Comment

Originally posted by Risen Drummer View Post
                        Im sure your glad you went with this instead of matt black, i love a matt black but this kit destroys that finish. Well done
                        Yeah the matt black looked pretty good, but as soon as I unpacked this one I realised I'd definitely made the right choice, I'm really happy with it

Originally posted by kiwiref View Post
                        Sweet kit man, classy.
                        Thanks a lot!

Comment

Enjoy that "Great Gretsch Sound!" Peace and goodwill.
                          Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex MPX (snare, )Mapex Armory Sabre (Snare), Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms; Sabian HHX, AAX, XS20, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

Comment

That is one beautiful looking kit!
                            John ("J-Dub")
                            www.facebook.com/sundaybrave or twitter: @drummerdudenj
                            My Kits:
                            6pc Tama SCM Plat. Fade | 6pc Tama SCM Blue Silk (signed by Jason Bittner)
                            5pc Tama BB Egyptian Night Burst | 5pc Tama BB White Silk
                            7pc Tama SCP Birch Cherry veneer | 5pc Tama Silverstar Satin Cherry Burst
                            sigpic

Comment

Your kit is beautiful. It looks so comfortable to play, and your pies are fantastic.
                              Mapex Saturn: 8 , 10 , 12, 14, 16, 22 B 14 & 13 S
                              Mapex Saturn V: 10, 12, 16, 22 B
                              Drumcraft Series 8 Maple: 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, B, & 14, 13, 12, & 10 S
                              Drumcraft Series 7 Birch: 8, 10, 12, 14,16, (2) 22 B, & 14 S
                              Yamaha Stage Custom: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22 B

Comment

Working...
                              X