Farewell to the Conaway Custom...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Farewell to the Conaway Custom...

Don't worry, I haven't sold the drums or anything. I would never do that. However, they are now 3000km away, packed up in cases and stored in my family's basement. It's been about a month since I had to bid them farewell as I moved from Lethbridge, Alberta to Kingston, Ontario for grad school. I'm doing my Masters in particle physics at Queen's University. Specifically, I'm involved with SNOLAB, if any of you are familiar. I'd be more than happy to discuss or answer any questions related to that if there's interest!

But I digress...it's likely the drums will be packed away for at least the next two years as I finish my MSc and live in a situation that isn't exactly "drum friendly", volume-wise. Before I left, I felt it necessary to take a whole lot of pics so here they are!

Please go to the Photobucket album (http://photobucket.com/conawayfinal) for more and in much higher resolution. There are 95 in total on there (various lightings, angles, etc).

"It is my supposition that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we CAN suppose." - J.S. Haldane

My Playing
    My Artwork

My Drums: Home, Gigs

sigpic

"It is my supposition that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we CAN suppose." - J.S. Haldane

My Playing
    My Artwork

sigpic

Comment

My Playing
      My Artwork

sigpic

Comment

My Playing
        My Artwork

sigpic

Comment

My Playing
          My Artwork

sigpic

Comment

And this is the final resting place of all of my drum gear (save for a few pieces that I brought with me), in the corner of my room at home. I have to admit, I was a little torn up about having to leave it all like this.

My Playing
            My Artwork

sigpic

Comment

God, I still LOVE that kit!! It's a shame you have to leave it behind...But it's awesome that you're going to grad school for particle physics. Rep.
              Originally posted by Quint
              I think she's too spread out everywhere...
              Originally posted by nik12
              Sounds like an Exgirlfriend of mine...
              Chicago Custom Percussion in Black Stain
              20x18 8 ply maple
              12x8 6 ply maple
              16x16 6 ply maple
              14x7.5 10 ply maple

Comment

Originally posted by mattwalker_21 View Post
                Don't worry, I haven't sold the drums or anything. I would never do that. However, they are now 3000km away, packed up in cases and stored in my family's basement. It's been about a month since I had to bid them farewell as I moved from Lethbridge, Alberta to Kingston, Ontario for grad school. I'm doing my Masters in particle physics at Queen's University. Specifically, I'm involved with SNOLAB, if any of you are familiar. I'd be more than happy to discuss or answer any questions related to that if there's interest!

But I digress...it's likely the drums will be packed away for at least the next two years as I finish my MSc and live in a situation that isn't exactly "drum friendly", volume-wise. Before I left, I felt it necessary to take a whole lot of pics so here they are!
                You know what they say... an MSc in Particle Physics only means one thing. A PhD in particle physics!

Does SNOLAB collaborate with other underground labs (like the Soudan Underground lab run by the University of Minnesota?). What are your thoughts on Michio Kaku's work?

Oh... the drums are cool too... are the Sapphire Burst Pearl's yours also?
                Proud to be a Pearl Drums dealer once again!

sigpic

DC Portsmouth | Facebook | Twitter

Comment

Everything about that kit screams class. I fear I'll be doing the same thing with my kit in a year or so

sigpic

Comment

Sometimes sacrifices have to be made unfortunatley. But once you get back on the kit you will be more motivated than ever.

You've got some fantastic gear there, and I love seeing it all everytime you post.

Comment

That kit is and always will be one of my favorites! LOVE IT

And your cymbals always look so clean like they're brand new .
                      My Mapex Meridian Maple in Transparent cherry red finish :). > http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...t..&highlight=

Comment

Good luck in school! Once you have been there for a year and know some people, do you think you will be able to rent a hosue rather than an apartment so you can drum?
                        Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau in Sea Blue Fade
                        Tama Super Mahogany 24/16/13

Comment

Originally posted by Andy @ MIT View Post
                          You know what they say... an MSc in Particle Physics only means one thing. A PhD in particle physics!

Does SNOLAB collaborate with other underground labs (like the Soudan Underground lab run by the University of Minnesota?). What are your thoughts on Michio Kaku's work?

Oh... the drums are cool too... are the Sapphire Burst Pearl's yours also?
                          Hahaha, that's true! A PhD is probably an inevitability. SNOLAB does collaborate with other groups, like the Soudan experiment. It's funny that you mention that because I was actually considering joining that group. The CDMS experiment, currently located in Soudan, is being moved to SNOLAB and Queen's is becoming the head collaborator on that experiment. I ended up joining the SNO+ group, however, which is using the 12m diameter sphere from the original SNO experiment, looking for neutrinoless double beta decay. Do you work with the University of Minnesota labs?

I haven't really looked into much of Michio Kaku's academic work, which I probably should do some more of. I'm only really familiar with his "public outreach" appearances on Nova and Discovery channel and all that stuff. He's a string theorist, isn't he?

The Sapphire Burst Pearl kit there is my dad's. I was planning on taking a whole bunch of pictures of that too but got sidetracked with packing and moving and didn't get around to it.

My Playing
                          My Artwork

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ignodium View Post
                            Good luck in school! Once you have been there for a year and know some people, do you think you will be able to rent a hosue rather than an apartment so you can drum?
                            Yea, hopefully I will be able to do something like that after this lease runs up! I'm in a basement apartment in a house right now, actually, but there are still 6 other people living upstairs that I don't want to annoy with real drums. This doesn't mean I've stopped playing, though! I was able to score a pretty amazing deal on a TD20 from the guys at MassMusic so I've been using that. It still is a little noisy (especially the hi-hat) but certainly a lot less than an acoustic kit.

My Playing
                            My Artwork

sigpic

Comment

Your kit is great!
                              Maybe not sepecifically you field of interest, but this is really BIG news:
                              http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...cles-neutrinos
                              DRUMS: 10 PIECE YAMAHA ROCK TOUR CUSTOM IN HOT RED
                              CYMBALS: ORION
                              SNARES: 14"x10" Ludwig Deep Rock, 14"x10" Dark Horse Percussion Acrylic, 14"x8" Yamaha Brass, 14"x8" Pearl Free Floating Brass, 14"x6,5" Yamaha Rock Tour Custom

www.myspace.com/andytowers

Comment

Working...
                              X