Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Re: long gone?

Originally posted by Stoovey

Don't forget Mike Portnoy! He has actually expressed displeasure at Neil Peart's kit being significantly smaller than in the past, a true fact. Peart's kit used to rival Portnoy's when he had all the bells and whistles...literally. Now that he has electronics integrated into the kit, he has gotten ridden of alot. Still a big kit though...

GOOD POINT STOOVEY! Neil and Bozzio are also HOLDOVERS (not from the new wave BY ANY MEANS!)

The MTV trend has been to "lighten the load" w/ four piece kits - is it more a function of telling prosective bands! -

"Do Not waste our time with Drummers who play a big part in your band!" No Self respecting songwriter allows a drummer to be a big part in the music?"
    - ((Which is BAAAAD news for us drummers - GONE are the days of Yes, Genesis, Rush...)

They dont want us drummers messing with the music (IMHO!)

Or is it; the music is going to be more 'dancable', 'foot-tappable', 'money-makable'...! The record companies dont care about good music anymore;

They
    care
    about
    MONEY!
    AND NOTHING ELSE... (trust me it's one or the OTHER for sure.).

PEACE
    PJ
    Play music... not just drums

Comment

• I think both big and small kits are cool. Punk drummers sound good (I guess) with the small kits, while metal guys sound better on bigger kits. I personally would like to have a big kit (I use a standard 5 piece) with 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, and 2 bass drums, but until I can afford it, I can use my double bass pedal and 3 toms. Also I like kits with lots of cymbals, I would love to have at least 4 crashes, 2 or 3 splashes, 2 chinas, two sets of hi-hats, a ride, as well as some dark crashes and small crashes (14 and 16 to use as splashes)
      In the words of Eric Cartman

"RESPECT MY AUTHORITY!"

Comment

• It IS possible to be somewhere in the middle. I have two kicks, but I consider my kit on the small side. 8" and 10" mounted toms. 12" and 14" suspended floors. 4 crashes, hi hat, splash, ride and china. I don't think its a monstosity.

Take a look...
        Attached Files

Comment

• Bigger is better for me...more options and versatility.
          Attached Files
          Masters MMX Emerald Fade
          Paiste Signature Cymbals

Comment

• Side Shot...............
            Attached Files
            Masters MMX Emerald Fade
            Paiste Signature Cymbals

Comment

• Finally
              Attached Files
              Masters MMX Emerald Fade
              Paiste Signature Cymbals

Comment

• Well, I have a 9 piece with 9 cymbals. I couldn't imagine playing on a 4 or 5 piece kit. There's just not enough options or possible sounds that can be made with a small kit, not to mention big fills...

Comment

• i think that most kits that are getting bigger is more in the cymbal area. i think that more people are getting more cymbals as opposed to more drums
                  Burly Man Clothing
                  Flickr
                  My "Band"

Apple
                  Epiarch
                  Zildjian
                  Sabian
                  Remo

Comment

• i think that most kits that are getting bigger is more in the cymbal area. i think that more people are getting more cymbals as opposed to more drums yep
                    Burly Man Clothing
                    Flickr
                    My "Band"

Apple
                    Epiarch
                    Zildjian
                    Sabian
                    Remo

Comment

Working...
                    X