Are Big kits "IN" or "out"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Big kits "IN" or "out"?

DO you think big kits(6pc and larger) are coming back in style or are little kits the way to go??
    yes
    0%
    no
    0%
    Wine Red BRX w/Satin & Icon Rack - 22X18,10X8,12X9,13X11,16X16,14X6.5 BRX Snare
    Paiste Cymbals - 22" Powerslave Ride, 17 & 19" heavy full crashes,8&10" signature splashes,14" heavy full hats (aux),14" 2002 sound edge hats with 6" cup chime (main),19" custom reflector 2002 chna

That depends on the style of music really. In punk rock, most drummers would use a 4-piece set and that would be enough for them. For Progressive Rock / Alternative / Metal, yes, that's definitely "IN", most of those drummers use waaay more than a 6-piece set. As for jazz, that varies, some drummers stick with the 4/5-piece 60's sets and some (like Jack DeJohnette), use a larger set.

Comment

ummmm......how do you answer an either/or question with yes or no???

Comment

Originally posted by Tabla_Man
        ummmm......how do you answer an either/or question with yes or no???
        Yeah, the question's a little general, that's why I haven't voted yet.

Comment

I love Jack's Sonors. I am not going to vote, I like the idea though. I swith it around depending on my mood. Basically if I am depressed I use a smaller set, if I am in a good mood I use a larger one. If I am angry in-between. It depends. I know it is strange.
          My Kit!

http://pearldrummersforum.com/showth...post1853278835

Selling a 4x14 Vintage Stave Tamburo Snare. More info upon request.

Comment

is "yes" big, and "no" small? hmmmm
            *PCF*{PityTheFoo}- /S.H.O.T/

Comment

I really want a "Big" kit. I've always wanted 3 rack toms, 2 floor toms, 1 snare, and 1 bass. I kind of base my dream kit on deepthought's old one, even though his new one is also great. My friend has a large kit like the one I just said I want, and it's great. My drums are like my second home to me

As for the question, I think there are possibly more smaller kits than big ones. And I based that answer of some music videos I've seen lately. But the kits they use live, they might be bigger, I don't know.
              Last edited by JamesDrummer1989; 02-09-2003, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Sorry for the confusion but you can vote yes if you feel big kits are "in" and no if they aren't

I was mainly asking for rock as i would use a small setup for jazz
                Wine Red BRX w/Satin & Icon Rack - 22X18,10X8,12X9,13X11,16X16,14X6.5 BRX Snare
                Paiste Cymbals - 22" Powerslave Ride, 17 & 19" heavy full crashes,8&10" signature splashes,14" heavy full hats (aux),14" 2002 sound edge hats with 6" cup chime (main),19" custom reflector 2002 chna

Comment

The trend i seem to see is they are getting smaller for punk/pop type music and staying the same with the metal guys. Long gone are the days of HUGE drum kits like you used to see.
                  FDNY Members murdered on 9/11/01
                  http://nyfd.com/9_11_wtc.html

Comment

If I look at i-net drumsolo's out there from the past year I mostly get large kits on my screen, I myself left out the high tom on my own kit, it sounded a bit too reggae for the soul and blues I play. But still, most kits should have the 3 tom rack just for the fun of once hitting it every night

Comment

SMALL FOR ME

helps me concentrate on basic rudiments and stuff during practice, ( coz im not the worlds greatest drummer by a long way ).

BACK and lovin every minute

Comment

I dunno; I said yes, because it seems a lot of people here on the forum seem to be nuts over larger kits. I also follow jazz a great deal, and while most jazz kits are small, fusion guys like Dave Weckl and Steve Smith have larger kits. I think Carter Beauford's kit is pretty large isn't it?

It's probably not a big marketing trend for kits to be huge, but it just appears that there are a lot of larger kits out there, from what I see.

Of course, I could be completely wrong!
                        cogito ergo Bebop a Lula

Comment

I play heavy, but I have a jazzy style so my kit is a mixture of big and small.

"It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing."

My kit.

Comment

I like small and big kits but like big kits more.
                            ...And it's hey babe your supper's waiting for you.
                            Hey my baby, don't you know our love is true.

Comment

I love playing a big kit, but you don't need them for everything, and they are such a pain in the *** to move that I seldom use my whole kit for something.

Some people are using big kits (Portnoy's keeps getting bigger, as does Bozzio's) some are using smaller (pop/punk drummers, Neil Peart has also scaled down his kit). I guess it depends...

Comment

Working...
                              X