Anyone ever see SONOR hoops like this? I think these are not SONOR hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever see SONOR hoops like this? I think these are not SONOR hoops

Are these legit SONOR hoops? I've owned several German made SONOR drums from many eras and have never seen hoops like this on a SONOR snare. I have my doubts but figured someone here would know. czx for example hahaha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211117_232837.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	5296123
    sigpic

Haha.. i just happened to see your post.. Yeah they do have the generic die cast on a few models.. and I have no idea why.. Looks like you have the cottonwood ??
    You can see the regular die cast here : https://www.sonor.com/instruments/dr...al-series/?L=0

Comment

I'm more interested/disgusted by that matte gold hardware. What the heck is going on there?

Comment

I actually kinda like it.
        sigpicStill Way Too Much Crap

Comment

Originally posted by czx View Post
          Haha.. i just happened to see your post.. Yeah they do have the generic die cast on a few models.. and I have no idea why.. Looks like you have the cottonwood ??
          You can see the regular die cast here : https://www.sonor.com/instruments/dr...al-series/?L=0
          I knew you'd know. Much appreciated. The original owner of this drum lost their mind hahaha. Luckily the shell is mostly perfect. A few minor nicks in the bearing edge but otherwise perfect. The hw is a different story. Still not sure these hoops left the factory on this shell... Both the strainer and butt's, lower screw receivers, are either a combination of being stripped and having too short screws, or just one of those two problems. The seller is sending a new strainer and butt. The drum sounds great but is unreliable with the strainer issues and couldn't be brought out in this condition. Still, I'm glad to have a nice maple SONOR snare shell to revive to the state, where I know it can sound special. It also has Starclassic wires hahaha.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by keaton_86 View Post
            I'm more interested/disgusted by that matte gold hardware. What the heck is going on there?
            It wouldn't have been priced the way it was without that "customization". The work is substandard too. However, having seen it in the flesh, matte BRONZE, haha, looks pretty cool.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JY Kelly View Post

Name:	20211119_013146.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5218298
              sigpic

Comment

Hey Jamie,
                I have the same snare with no alterations from the introduction of this line as you can see by the elongated badge. The newer ones have the circular badge. Definitely didn't come with gold hardware. Never saw matte gold from Sonor like that either. Interesting hoops as well. Possibly my favorite snare that I own.
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                Pearl Masters Premium BRP UPDATED
                Masters Studio MBX Make Over-Emerald Mist
                The Masters Army

Comment

Originally posted by j kuhl View Post
                  Still not sure these hoops left the factory on this shell... .
                  upon further review...... looks like you are right.. they are aftermarket hoops.. The Sonor regular die cast.. bottom hoop.. has the gate or space for the wires to pass through .. in the actual hoop... like below.... It is not an add on component to the hoop like ones you have.

One more thing I noticed about your drum.. is the shell is so close to the head hoop.. which is strange because all Sonor wood snare shells are undersized pretty good.. and you can immediately notice it just like this one below.. you can see quite alot of space between the head hoop and the shell.

Last edited by czx; 11-20-2021, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Could you put it in some sort of paint thinners and strip that bronze off?

Comment

Originally posted by j kuhl View Post
                      Are these legit SONOR hoops? I've owned several German made SONOR drums from many eras and have never seen hoops like this on a SONOR snare. I have my doubts but figured someone here would know. czx for example hahaha.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]522214[/ATTACH]
                      They are not the hoops that come on a cottonwood.

As far as the lugs go, try Acetone to see if the gold comes off... it might wipe right off. Acetone will not hurt the chrome under it either. However, it looks like the guy painted the gaskets too... which would get damaged from Acetone (and some other chemicals as well). Maybe the paint would come off the rubber gaskets with hot soapy water, or Goo Gone (not Goof Off)?

Comment

Originally posted by JY Kelly View Post
                        You know what, I do too.

Comment

Ok here are some pics for Matt and czx. Lemme know what you can tell fellas.

Name:	20211123_184631.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	5218309

Name:	20211123_184523.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	5218311

Name:	20211123_184512.jpg
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	5218312
                          Attached Files
                          sigpic

Comment

Sorry for the last photo...

Name:	20211123_185139.jpg
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	5218313
                            sigpic

Comment

I can tell that you need some moisturizer.
                              sigpicStill Way Too Much Crap

Comment

Working...
                              X