Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with Remo Heads

Greetings PDF!

I am new to Remo and have been playing Evans heads for most of my drumming career. After aquiring a Gretsch Renown Walnut set a while back that came outfitted with Remo Emperors, I dug the tone so much that I decided I would give them a shot. I ordered all new heads for my exotic cherry mahogany set as well as a set for my blue glass DWs. I had the opportunity to play the blue glass set last night but was a bit disappointed when I installed the new heads on them. The heads seem like they're smaller than the shell making it difficult to seat them properly. Took quite a bit of time, but I got all of the heads tuned up finally. I'm not too worried about the finish on these since they are a wrap but I am concerned about my exotic kit. Do all Remo heads fit this way? If so, I may ditch the set I bought and go back to Evans. I never really had this problem with their heads.

Exotics

Vintage Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors
    Clear PS4 Bass Drum Batter

Blue Glass

Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors
    Clear PS4 Bass Drum Batter
    Attached Files
    DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

sigpic

Not sure but the required church altar plant is in place!
    sigpicStill Way Too Much Crap

Comment

Originally posted by JY Kelly View Post
      Not sure but the required church altar plant is in place!
      It is indeed.
      DW Drums | DW Hardware | Sabian | Pro-Mark | Evans Drumheads

sigpic

Comment

I was once told that Remo heads not laying perfectly flat was along of the lines of "it's a feature, not a bug", with some people attributing the fact that they don't fit flush to the "Remo Sound."

I prefer Evans. I'm playing on giving Aquarian a shot eventually though.

Comment

Remo heads don’t seat flush on the bearing edge without being tensioned but I attribute it to why they last longer and have a better tone to my ears. I don’t think you’ll have any trouble with the Remo heads fitting on your exotic; DW ships out their drums with stock heads provided by Remo.
          Black Lives Matter

Tama Starclassic Maple

Selling a minty 14x6.5 Ian Paice Signature Snare! DM for info!

Comment

I find that highly unusual that the remo heads would fit tightly on the DW since their stock heads are made by remo USA. Also, it is usually accepted that Aquarian are the tighter fitting heads.

I would contact your dealer or even remo about this.
            My previous Ludwig kit; Pearl Sensitone Aluminum , Pork Pie, Black Panther and Crush snares.
            DW 5000, Pearl modded P-102, P-120P & P-2002B. IC Powerglide. Many cymbals from the big 3.
            Tiny pic of my old cymbal setup.
            sigpic

Comment

If you dig the Remo sound, who cares about a little bit of fussing to get them seated? That's all part of the fun!

Comment

Originally posted by Mendell View Post
                Also, it is usually accepted that Aquarian are the tighter fitting heads.
                I've never heard this; Aquarian heads don't need to be seated.

I have had issues with remo Powerstroke III kick heads sitting flat, but it's my favorite bass head so I deal with it. Toms/snare I like Aquarian and I have never had issues with heads not sitting flat.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoon View Post
                  I've never heard this; Aquarian heads don't need to be seated.

I have had issues with remo Powerstroke III kick heads sitting flat, but it's my favorite bass head so I deal with it. Toms/snare I like Aquarian and I have never had issues with heads not sitting flat.
                  And this is not what I said. What I meant was Aquarian with their safe-t-lock hoop is usually closer to the drum shell than other brands.
                  My previous Ludwig kit; Pearl Sensitone Aluminum , Pork Pie, Black Panther and Crush snares.
                  DW 5000, Pearl modded P-102, P-120P & P-2002B. IC Powerglide. Many cymbals from the big 3.
                  Tiny pic of my old cymbal setup.
                  sigpic

Comment

Always narks me slightly about Remo Heads not quite sitting 'square' on the drum.
                    All is forgiven though when they are tuned up

I had a phase where I only used Evans. Now I am back with Remo & will not stray again.
                    Yamaha Recording Custom 10,12,13,16,22 in Cherry Red
                    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" in 12, 16, 22. Black on Black.
                    Premier Projector MK1. 12,13,16,22 in Piano Black
                    Endorser for Scymtek Cymbals & The London Drumstick Company.

Comment

I've been using Remo heads for quite a while now, and I really like the sound. Remo heads can be a harder to seat. Earlier this summer my 10", 12" and sometimes the 16" tom were getting hard to stay in tune. The heads had been on for a while so, I thought I needed new ones. Just to try it, I used the hair dryer method on them. I had the dryer on medium/high heat and did around the collar of the heads first and then over the entire head for 45 seconds. I never would have thought, but since June I've barely had to tune the heads. I play hard/heavy classic rock like Mountain, Cream and Led Zeppelin so they get a good workout. I can almost hear some of you gasp at the thought of using the hair dryer, but I had nothing to lose for trying. It really did work in my situation and they still sound great.

Comment

Working...
                      X