No announcement yet.

how large should bass drum ports be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for all the informative replies guys. it helped a lot..
    spreading some love

Comment

this is wat i did only a few days ago.

used a blank remo ps3 res with a dynamo. stuck the dynamo over the remo logo so that when i cut the hole i cut out the rest of the logo too. thus giving me the option of putting the hole at any position.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeodude
        this is wat i did only a few days ago.

used a blank remo ps3 res with a dynamo. stuck the dynamo over the remo logo so that when i cut the hole i cut out the rest of the logo too. thus giving me the option of putting the hole at any position.

Great idea. Another way to get rid of the logo for anyone who already cut their hole and didn't think the cut out the logo like you did, is to remove the logo using a cotton ball and some nail polish remover. This works fine on black or white smooth heads, but do not try it on coated heads, as it will also remove the coating.
        Mapex Saturn: 8 , 10 , 12, 14, 16, 22 B 14 & 13 S
        Mapex Saturn V: 10, 12, 16, 22 B
        Drumcraft Series 8 Maple: 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, B, & 14, 13, 12, & 10 S
        Drumcraft Series 7 Birch: 8, 10, 12, 14,16, (2) 22 B, & 14 S
        Yamaha Stage Custom: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22 B

Comment

Years ago I just basically cut out the entire front bass drum head so I had the same sound as a single headed bass drum.

I did that so I could still mount the hoops on the bass drums to not only protect the drums but also because I liked the look better.
          I play the drums

Comment

it should be big enough so that your cat can get inside your bass drum and fall asleep on your muffling pillow. so i would say no more than 5 inches otherwise your cat might bring her\his friends and have wild sex orgies in your bass while you are trying to bust out them polyrhythmic beats.

Lord, protect me from your followers!

In Sonor i trust.

Every man has a right to decide his own destiny.

Comment

I have a 22" kick, and I have two 4" ports, one at 3:00 and the other at 9:00, both with black Holz rings. To be honest, I didn't notice any huge change in sound when I had it done. So let's be honest, I pretty much did it because it's a cool design... Well, that and I needed to put holes in it so it could be miced.
              Tama Rockstar-Midnight Blue
              22" Kick, 12" RT, 16" FT
              14"x 5 1/2" steel snare
              Zildjian: 21" A Custom Medium Ride, 18" & 19" A Custom Crashes, 10" A Custom Splash
              Sabian: 14" Hi Hats
              Wuhan: 18" China

Comment

Working...
              X