Just HOW loud are drums/cymbals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just HOW loud are drums/cymbals?

Mods I don't know if this is sticky-worthy or if it's been done already.

Basically, I made this thread because I wanted to create a nice big list of decibel levels for various drums and cymbals (for the drummer that is, so a distance of 1m from the source is reasonable).

That's it really... so we can get decibel values for 1 m from: snare drum, bass drum, crash cymbal, and maybe even the whole set on average, I'm not sure how that could be calculated though.

If anyone has any suggestions please tell me and I'll continually edit this post as we get more numbers (if this thread doesn't fail).

Thanks, I hope we can eventually have a nice list everyone can use as a reference!
    My Drums (new pics Post 49) | My YouTube Videos
    I call no one my Father who's no closer than a stranger.
    Originally posted by fledgehog
    LIFE IS LIKE a GIRLFRIEND NOBODY ON PDF HAS ONE

I think you would have to have a standard for pounds of pressure applied when hit as well.

But HEY what do I know?
    Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch Fusion Black Forest Cherry Finish
    Meinl
    Sabian
    DW 5000 Double kick Pedal
    Vater Manhattan 7a
    Evans

Originally posted by PYRRHO
    Cover it with an emotional band-aid...
    like liquor.

Comment

There's at least two recent threads on this....

Comment

Mmm yes that's true...

All I have is high school physics (did Grade 12 physics last term), I'm no expert on decibel stuff, I just know basics lol.

If someone notices a big flaw in my reasoning that would make this thread impossible then say so .

Comment

Originally posted by metalhead1000
          Mods I don't know if this is sticky-worthy or if it's been done already.

Basically, I made this thread because I wanted to create a nice big list of decibel levels for various drums and cymbals (for the drummer that is, so a distance of 1m from the source is reasonable).
          Pointless , to many variables involved

Comment

How does it feel Ronin, to be your own worst enemy?

Originally published in MD, then posted here by MIND_DRUMMER:

At drummer ears

21" ride = 102 db
            21" ride (bell) = 112 db
            Bass drum = 105 db
            Toms = 110 db
            Snare 5x14 single roll all rimshot 120 db
            Snare (maximum rimshot) 125 db (sorry I thought it was 123 db but anyway)
            16" crash = 111 db
            14" hats (maximum/open) = 117 db
            18" china (maximum) 118 db

Interesting fact

Quiet groove: drummer ears 105 db - 5 feet 100 db - 25 feet 96 db
            medium groove: drummer ears 110 db - 5 feet 105 db - 25 feet 102 db
            Solid groove: drummer ears 115 db - 5 feet 110 db - 25 feet 108 db
            Maximum (snare): drummer ears 125 db - 5 feet 120 db - 25 feet 116 db

These are the result from the January MD issue, all measure were taken with the Metrosonics DB-2100 digital SPL meter.

Comment

At drummer ears

21" ride = 102 db
              21" ride (bell) = 112 db
              Bass drum = 105 db
              Toms = 110 db
              16" crash = 111 db

Interesting fact

These are the result from the January MD issue, all measure were taken with the Metrosonics DB-2100 digital SPL meter.
              It still means nothing.

Comment

At drummer ears

21" ride = 102 db
                21" ride (bell) = 112 db
                Bass drum = 105 db
                Toms = 110 db
                16" crash = 111 db

Interesting fact

Thank's for citing me, I appreciate
                CURRENTLY PLAYING: TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN

Member of: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion Army

maniac0796: Doesn't matter with Remo. By the time you realize they had coating, it'll be gone.

Comment

That's great PYRRHO thanks a lot. Maybe I should subscribe to MD ...

Sorry Ronin for making this thread but I'm sure someone will profit from it.

VF Isolation Headphones have 24 or 25 dB sound reduction I think, so max I'd be getting 100 dB maybe, and according to "experts", 2 hours daily is the max without sustaining hearing damage.

I rarely play for that long so I should be fine... although I do play to music... not sure if that would have an adverse effect over time, maybe someone can answer that?

Comment

Originally posted by metalhead1000
                    That's great PYRRHO thanks a lot. Maybe I should subscribe to MD ...

Sorry Ronin for making this thread but I'm sure someone will profit from it.

VF Isolation Headphones have 24 or 25 dB sound reduction I think, so max I'd be getting 100 dB maybe, and according to "experts", 2 hours daily is the max without sustaining hearing damage.

I rarely play for that long so I should be fine... although I do play to music... not sure if that would have an adverse effect over time, maybe someone can answer that?

They discuss of all these product too in that great article. At the end, it come to protect your hearing the best you can. It's better than nothing.
                    CURRENTLY PLAYING: TAMA - AQUARIAN - DW - SABIAN - ISTANBUL MEHMET - ZILDJIAN

Member of: Aquarian Preacher Nation & AAXplosion Army

maniac0796: Doesn't matter with Remo. By the time you realize they had coating, it'll be gone.

Comment

Testet in our old rehersal once.. 5x3 meters maybe, with good dampening.

dB-meter in middle of the room, average when whole band played for 3 minutes was 112dB, peak (snare hits) 125db.

Snare only, from 1 meter i think was 129dB or 132...
                      www.assailant.se

Listen to our debutalbum and drop a comment at our Myspace
                      www.myspace.com/assailantsweden

Comment

Thanks everyone for this info.. I was looking for it long time ago.
                        sigpic
                        ° ° ° THE STRONGEST NAME IN DRUMS ° ° °

Comment

There was a thread about this some time ago. The noise from a crash cymbal can be up to 130dB (!!!) from a drummer seat. This damages hearing very much, so ear protection is a must .
                          ROCK N' ROLL

Read my essay on Tinnitus here

Play drums the way you want to, because you want to. Have fun doing so. Be inspired by other drummers, not discouraged, there will always be someone better than you, try to have your own voice behind the kit, be yourself. -Brann Dailor of Mastodon

Comment

isn't 125 db the pain limit? or am I wrong
                            We hold our rebel banners up with pride. The colour's Crimson and the Hammer is the sign!

Comment

How does it feel Ronin, to be your own worst enemy?...
                              In regards to Ronin's first post (and I would agree), there ARE too many variables to consider based on the original post:
                              the player, the brush/rod/stick being used, the specific instrument being played, etc.

You can't just say this 18" cymbal produces 96db of crash.

So, in this respect, I can see where he was coming from.

I did find your "interesting fact" well, um, interesting!

I wish I started wearing ear protection when I first began playing the drums, but better late than never.
                              For sale!:
                              13" Zildjian A Mastersound top/New Beat bot HH's
                              12" Zildjian Z splash
                              PM me for pricing!

Pearl Ref (SF) 8x7 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 22x20

Snares, Tama Artstar II Limited kit, Yamaha/Roland kit

Comment

Working...
                              X