help on buying a new drumset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help on buying a new drumset

Its time to buy a new drumset, and i'm clueless as to what type to get. I have a budget of 3000 dollars. I'm looking to buy a big kit- five toms, two bass drums. I would love a rack as well but I can live without it. I have no brand bias or anything, I just want a drumset that will last for a very long time. I was thinking an srx but what other options are out there? I play a lot of different music, from jazz to hard rock. I'll need the kit to have all needed hardware, too. So i guess ideally the drumset itself shouldn't cost more than 2500 dollars or so...is that not possible?

input, please
    Marriage is a human right, not a heterosexual privilege.

My bright yellow round things that make noise

I'm not sure how high in quality you can go if you want a huge stup like that... You might be looking at something like a Pearl Export Select, possibly an SRX, Tama Rockstar Custom, Tama Starclassic Performer, Yamaha Stage Custom or maybe a Pacific CX...
    5 pc Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau in Matte Sienna
    8x10 Rack Tom
    9x12 Rack Tom
    16x16 Floor Tom
    5.5x14 Snare
    17x22 Bass
    Cymbals
    14" Sabian AA Rock Hats
    20" Sabian AA Rock Ride
    16" Sabian AA Rock Crash
    14" Sabian B8 Crash
    10" Sabian B8 Splash
    14" Zidjian ZXT Trashformer

Comment

pearl export select.. last forever and u can get them pretty cheap.. will u need to buy cymbals too?
      Originally posted by artieboy46
      Ignore all these people who say to "wait for someone special". Just knob the gap in your sofa and be done with it.

Comment

no i've got plenty of cymbals, but i will need to buy 3 or 4 cymbal stands as well. I priced out the SRX to be, with hardware, a little less than 3000 dollars. I'm just wondering if there are any other good drumsets out there you could recommend.

Comment

You won't be able to get a Starclassic performer kit like that for $3000 despite what Viper says!

I paid 3000 can$ or 2000 us for one bass and four toms with NO hardware.

Viper, how could you group export select/rockstar with starclassic performer? The performer is equivalent to the BRX!

Rockstars/exports are about 40% the price of Performers

Comment

Oops... I'm not really a Tama person so cut me a little slack...
            5 pc Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage Nouveau in Matte Sienna
            8x10 Rack Tom
            9x12 Rack Tom
            16x16 Floor Tom
            5.5x14 Snare
            17x22 Bass
            Cymbals
            14" Sabian AA Rock Hats
            20" Sabian AA Rock Ride
            16" Sabian AA Rock Crash
            14" Sabian B8 Crash
            10" Sabian B8 Splash
            14" Zidjian ZXT Trashformer

Comment

ummmm id say go with sessions. you can get them cheap at lots of online places and they sound great also get a rack too if your getting all that
              "Silly rabbit Trix are for kids!"
              -The Kids

"They're Greeeeeeeeat!"
              -Tony the Tiger

"They're all after me lucky charms!"
              -The lucky charms lepruchan

Comment

Mapex Pro M....

You don't really see large mapex's though, in Ice Blue (Like mine) it would look great. There good kits with I.T.S any included hardware is good double braced. They sound nice as well.
                Graeme Read
                - epiGamer

"A lot of kids come up to me and say, 'There's a lot of better drummers then you,' or something. But I enjoy playing to the best of my ability and that's why I'm here doing it. I don't claim to be more exciting then Buddy Rich." -Bonzo

Comment

hmmm conaway drums could make you a custom maple kit of that size for less than 2200 probably
                  "Silly rabbit Trix are for kids!"
                  -The Kids

"They're Greeeeeeeeat!"
                  -Tony the Tiger

"They're all after me lucky charms!"
                  -The lucky charms lepruchan

Comment

anyone have experience with conway drums?

Comment

Try www.phattiedrums.com also. They have some big endorsers and are cheap with lots of options.

Comment

Either get the SRX or save yourself some money and get an ELX, spending what you saved on more cymbals (I assume you'll want plenty when you say you want a big kit). I'm saving up for an ELX in lovely autumn fade to replace the ageing forum series kit I got as a beginner.

Comment

also, check outBig Boy Drums

thoes are good, and they are almost the same ammount of custom-ness of OCDP, i bet you could get anyting there, cheap too
                          "It's ok to quote yourself" ~ Me
                          "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy" ~ Tom Waits

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE: 2009 BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                          ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE: 2011 BCS NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
                          RMFT

Comment

calumc, I already have tons of cymbals (however only enough stands to use five of them at the moment) but thanks. Conaway drums look good to me but i'm suspicious of a company that can have maple shells, custom specifications, nice looking finishes and nice hardware for such a cheap price. I'll have to investigate.

Comment

go with your ears, get to a store and try different makes/models. then you'll get a better idea of your requirements. i got the best i could afford , even tho it was 500 measly pounds, i still got what i needed . hope that helps

BACK and lovin every minute

Comment

Working...
                              X