No announcement yet.

New Clive Burr interview and pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clive was and will always be one of my favorite drummers. Some of the things he came up with were truly amazing. Clive Burr was an awesome drummer, and his way of approaching the drums fit perfectly with Maiden. I can remember my brother bringing home the Number of the Beast album. It was our first introduction to Maiden, and we were hooked! They became the benchmark band.

One of the things that I got out of the IRON MAIDEN DVD The Early Years is that the band keeps up good relationships with their past members. I don't know of any other band that does that. They were interviewing past members and they all had great things to say about their time in Maiden. It is amazing how Steve is able to go to a member and say "It's not working out, mate. You're a great guy, but we need somebody else."

I really hate that Clive is dealing with MS. He seems to be keeping his spirits up, though, and that's the biggest help there is.
    Random obscure cool group from my youth: Bad News
    My cymbal review

Comment

Originally posted by korch
      I have always loved Clive's playing. I was sad to see him leave Iron Maiden years ago. I wish he was in better health these days. It is sad to see such a major force in metal stuck in that chair. I pray he overcomes it.

By the way..... did you know Clive was suppossed to be the drummer for Dee Snider's band Widowmaker in the 90s? According to Joe Franco, who was my teacher around 92, he said that Clive wanted to stay in Europe, and Dee wanted to keep the band based in the US. That's when Joe got the call from Dee. As we all now know, Widowmaker never became that famous, and it looks like Clive made the right decision.

I agree... I remember when they announced it on my local rock station in '82... I was really disappointed...but not surprised (he had a hard time touring and keeping it together on the road).

And actually it was a pre-Widowmaker band called Desparado... with Bernie Torme on guitar...I remember how they used to really hype that in Kerrang magazine and a few other UK rock publications...

Here is some info from ALL MUSIC GUIDE:

After the 1987 dissolution of Long Island pop-metal hitmakers Twisted Sister, frontman Dee Snider embarked on a series of solo and group projects that kept him busy through the '90s. Snider first formed a new band called Desperado with guitarist Bernie Torme, bassist Marc Russel, and drummer Clive Burr. The group recorded an album, 'Bloodied But Unbowed', which was never officially released (although some copies did eventually pop up overseas). Snider next formed the heavier Widowmaker, retaining Russel on bass and recruiting guitarist Al Pitrelli and drummer Joey Franco (a member of Twisted Sister for that group's last album). Widowmaker debuted with 1992's Blood and Bullets and managed to record one more album, 1994's Stand By for Pain, before disbanding. Snider next turned his attention to film, specifically the horror genre; he wrote, produced, and acted in Strangeland, which was released in 1998. Snider also performed off and on with an outfit called the SMFs, which was devoted mostly to Twisted Sister repertoire. In 2000, Snider released his first solo album (with Bernie Torme on guitar). Titled Never Let the ******** Wear You Down, the record was composed mostly of songs from the '80s that Snider had never previously recorded for official release. ~ Steve Huey, All Music Guide
      Last edited by Hit 'Em Hard; 06-30-2006, 08:35 AM.
      LUDWIG Classic Maple Drums
      RMV Concept Studio Shell Drums
      LUDWIG / PEARL / AHEAD Snares
      PAISTE 2002 Series Cymbals
      TAMA Roadpro Hardware & IC Pedals
      AQUARIAN Heads

Comment

Originally posted by Hit 'Em Hard
        Actually it was a pre-Widowmaker band called Desparado... with Bernie Torme on guitar...I remember how they used to hype that in Kerrang magazine and a few other UK rock publications...

Here is some info from ALL MUSIC GUIDE:

After the 1987 dissolution of Long Island pop-metal hitmakers Twisted Sister, frontman Dee Snider embarked on a series of solo and group projects that kept him busy through the '90s. Snider first formed a new band called Desperado with guitarist Bernie Torme, bassist Marc Russel, and drummer Clive Burr. The group recorded an album, 'Bloodied But Unbowed', which was never officially released (although some copies did eventually pop up overseas). Snider next formed the heavier Widowmaker, retaining Russel on bass and recruiting guitarist Al Pitrelli and drummer Joey Franco (a member of Twisted Sister for that group's last album). Widowmaker debuted with 1992's Blood and Bullets and managed to record one more album, 1994's Stand By for Pain, before disbanding. Snider next turned his attention to film, specifically the horror genre; he wrote, produced, and acted in Strangeland, which was released in 1998. Snider also performed off and on with an outfit called the SMFs, which was devoted mostly to Twisted Sister repertoire. In 2000, Snider released his first solo album (with Bernie Torme on guitar). Titled Never Let the ******** Wear You Down, the record was composed mostly of songs from the '80s that Snider had never previously recorded for official release. ~ Steve Huey, All Music Guide
        Awesome info. I'd love to hear copies of that album. Both Clive and Nicko's playing have been very instrumental in my growth as a drummer..... along with other greats like Alex Van Halen and Neil Peart (among others).
        Mapex Saturn: 8 , 10 , 12, 14, 16, 22 B 14 & 13 S
        Mapex Saturn V: 10, 12, 16, 22 B
        Drumcraft Series 8 Maple: 8, 10, 12, 14, 18, 20, B, & 14, 13, 12, & 10 S
        Drumcraft Series 7 Birch: 8, 10, 12, 14,16, (2) 22 B, & 14 S
        Yamaha Stage Custom: 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 22 B

Comment

Deadline Records is supposed to re-release the Despardo cd soon...
          AQUARIAN Heads

Comment

Deadline Records is supposed to re-release the Despardo cd soon...
            You are just a fountain of bad@$$ information!

Comment

"Killers" is one of my top 5 albums. Very strong and very, very underrated album. I love clive's drumming on "Killers". Not one weak song. NOTB is also a great album, but there's something with the combination of the bluesy (Adrian)/fast (Dave) guitar solo's, clive's drumming, steve's songwriting and Di'Anno's rough voice that just... It's just great. Bruce is much better suited for maiden, but Di'anno has a cooler voice imo...
              Yern desh bern, de rit de git der goo; yern desh, de bern desh, de umm, BORK BORK BORK

www.paiste-only.com

Comment

I just noticed... check out Nicko's t-shirt... it's his face superimposed on the Eddie from the first LP cover... LOL
                That's the McBrain Damage Inc shirt :-)
                Probably the very best Iron Maiden tribute band as they actually have an Iron Maiden member! You can check them out at www.myspace.com/mcbraindamage

Comment

Originally posted by JY Kelly
                  Comparing Clive and Nicko is like comparing apples to celery. Each has/had his own distinctive style- neither is "better" or "worse".

That being said, Maiden have shown remarkable class in their helping of Clive in his time of need. There's something very "British" about what they're doing. It's called "honor and integrity and loyalty"...they're helping their mate, pure and simple. I can't IMAGINE an American band doing the same thing, I just can't.
                  So, you're categorizing every single American band into one group lacking "honor and integrity and loyalty?" Please tell me you're joking because that is the absolute dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Do yourself a favor -- join the military so you have a chance to check-out the rest of the world and you'll find that "honor, integrity and loyalty" are an individual thing -- and not specific to any one culture or group of people.

Comment

That's a great read, thanks for the link! Clive Burr was a huge influence for me when I first got into Maiden in late '81.

Comment

Originally posted by Signals
                      So, you're categorizing every single American band into one group lacking "honor and integrity and loyalty?" Please tell me you're joking because that is the absolute dumbest thing I have ever heard in my life. Do yourself a favor -- join the military so you have a chance to check-out the rest of the world and you'll find that "honor, integrity and loyalty" are an individual thing -- and not specific to any one culture or group of people.
                      He's talking about American music bands. I have to say, that I'm hard pressed to think of any comparable American equivalent of what Maiden is doing for Clive.
                      I would love to think that it does happen with the American bands, though. I know us Yanks did the We Are The World and Hear-N-Aid projects, but not sure if any band has chipped in for a past member like Maiden has.
                      Random obscure cool group from my youth: Bad News
                      My cymbal review

Comment

Originally posted by korch
                        You are just a fountain of bad@$$ information!

It's that damn 'music bug', korch...

It 'bit me' as a kid in the mid 70's and I've been obsessed with it ever since (enough to work as a part time publisher/photographer/and all around 'trek all over the country' interviewer for over the last 20+ years...)

If it happened in hard rock during the 70's, 80', or early 90's, I try to be pretty much all over it...LOL

By the way, I haven't see Joe Franco play in years...what's he doing now - is he gigging or teaching ?
                        Last edited by Hit 'Em Hard; 06-30-2006, 07:54 PM.
                        AQUARIAN Heads

Comment

By the way, I haven't see Joe Franco play in years...what's he doing now - is he gigging or teaching ?
                          When I was taking lessons from him he was really into the jingle thing. He was constantly working and he had a studio he shared with Jonathan Mover. He taught one or two days a week, and had a constant flow of drummers coming in and out. I remember him saying he was offered gigs with some bands, but he turned them down, because the studio stuff was much more lucrative. He was really a nice guy, and a very good teacher.

Comment

Very cool... sounds like he found a gig with minimal travel & hassle...good for him.

Thanks for getting back to me, korch.
                            AQUARIAN Heads

Comment

Working...
                            X