Tom mounting bracket removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom mounting bracket removal

I'm looking for the name of the plate that you use to cover the Tom mounting bracket? Both my Tom's are now attached to cymbal stands so I don't need the mount on my kick drum. Also, after I remove the Tom mount am I able to install it after?
    Thx guyz

Should have specified, I have a vision kit!

Comment

Do a search for "BBC-1 Masking Plate"

But my suggestion is: If you want to do this for aesthetics, go ahead. But don't do it to improve the sound. Having the holes and the mount on your bass drum does not degrade the sound; it is the extra weight of the toms that degrade the sound. So if you have already put the toms on stands, then you have fixed that, and you might as well keep the mount on just in case you want the convenience of it from time to time.
      My snares: http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/sh...are-collection

Comment

I'm not even sure the BBC-1 is a correct fit for the mounting holes of the BB-300. I do subscribe to the suggestion above: just leave the BB on there and make sure the wing screws are tightened enough to avoid rattle.
        1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
        1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
        1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
        1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
        1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black
        Roland TD-20SX
        Roland TD-30KV

Comment

Originally posted by gyorpb View Post
          I'm not even sure the BBC-1 is a correct fit for the mounting holes of the BB-300......
          I am not an expert, and you might be right. As far as I can tell from looking at catalogues, there are only 2 kinds of masking plates available if we are talking genuine Pearl product:

- BBC-1 is advertised as replacing the BB-3 mount, which is rectangular and has 4 screw mounting holes.
          - GK-90 is advertised as replacing the BT-3 mount, which is triangular and has 3 screw mounting holes.

So I assumed that the BB-300 on the Visions have the same hole-pattern as the BB-3. They look like they do, and the GK-90 certainly would not fit.

Anyway, here is the hole-pattern for the BBC-1. So check if it will work for your Vision, before you buy one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	BB3_hole_pattern.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	5181495

Comment

I think the hole patterns match between the BB-300 and BT-300, and the BB-3 and BT-3, respectively. But I am not entirely sure. Pearl are generally very consistent about these things, though, so there is hope. The BBC-1 and GK-90 will definitely not fit the hole pattern of the BB-70 and BT-70 from the Forum and RT series, though.
            1982 Maxwin DLX705 in #55 Silver Flash
            1994 SX "Session Series" in #38 Stainless Steel
            1990 CZX "Custom Z" in #130 Champagne
            1991 SZX "CZX Studio" in #133 Crimson Quartz
            1986 SC "Syncussion X" in black
            Roland TD-20SX
            Roland TD-30KV

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for the help guys, I just realised I meant to put this under hardware but I was so tired I must have chosen the wrong category haha. Ooops

Comment

Originally posted by RoseCityRocker
                I just started a project on my Pearl Forum series kit. I have removed the BT70 tom bracket from my 12" tom and the BB70 mounting bracket from the bass drum. I used a 13/64 drill bit to make 2 outer holes in the rack tom to accommodate a GK90 masking plate and I plan to do the same for the bass drum to accommodate for a BBC1 masking plate. I picked up a used ISS mount for my rack tom at a local drum shop. I am now contemplating removing the wrap finish as well. More pics to come...[ATTACH=CONFIG]474484[/ATTACH]
                Probably too late if you have already drilled the additional holes in the toms, but personally I would avoid drilling holes in drums. You say you want to remove the wrap; so if you mean you plan to re-wrap it, then it would be better to plug the holes (dowels in the 3 small holes, a broom handle in the big one) then re-wrap so it has no holes.

I just say that because If you are going to the trouble of converting your kit into a virgin kit with isolation mounts, then drilling additional holes is the opposite of what you should do.

Given that we are not talking about a super high-end kit, you are probably not degrading the sound or reducing the resale value significantly with the additional holes. So it is just the purist in me making comment.

Comment

Working...
                X