Would this Forum be worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would this Forum be worth it?

It's $175 for a 4 piece Forum. It looks older, but maybe someone could tell me more about it.

I love the finish on it, more than other Forums I've seen or played.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...71-i3172973.gc

I know it's not much info but maybe one of you can tell by looking at it.

Thanks!

I'm also considering this nice Export:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...14-i3130676.gc
    Last edited by Acrilyc; 06-13-2013, 12:56 PM.
    Ludwig Accent Custom

Its hard to wait around for something you know might never happen; but its harder to give up when you know its everything you want.

I owned a Forum before and enjoyed it well enough, but personally, judging from the photo, I'd keep looking unless your especially strapped for cash. I'm seeing shell mounted tom brackets which tend to be resonance killers. Your on the right track shopping used, why not throw a little more in and get a Vision if you can?
    Pearl Masters (MCX) Mocha Tamo
    Pearl Session Custom (SMX) Green Burst
    Zildjian A & K Customs
    Originally posted by ashmaple
    ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy 5000 View Post
      I owned a Forum before and enjoyed it well enough, but personally, judging from the photo, I'd keep looking unless your especially strapped for cash. I'm seeing shell mounted tom brackets which tend to be resonance killers. Your on the right track shopping used, why not throw a little more in and get a Vision if you can?

I should've look better, because I told myself I'd never buy shell mounted tom brackets. lol, and I'm tight on cash. I might use my current set for traveling and keep the next set I get for my house. Not sure yet, but, $200 is all I've got at the moment man, I might could wait a bit and save some more though.

What about this export, if you know anything about them? I also found a Rogers Gunmetal set for $200, but I couldn't find any info on it.
      http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store...14-i3130676.gc
      Ludwig Accent Custom

Its hard to wait around for something you know might never happen; but its harder to give up when you know its everything you want.

Comment

That's what sucks about GC used, the risk because the photos show so little. Bit of a gamble. You can call them but it is usually a crap shoot if you'll get decent answers or specifics from them about an item. Exports were all the rage in their day but I can't see enough of that one to say. Not familiar enough with Rogers to say either. There are some big Rogers fans on here that might be able guide you when they come along.
        Zildjian A & K Customs
        ... so I secretely wanna see him 'bust his gear out when he's doing their gig in front of the crowds that lead into Make a legendary show. Hajahaha.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnboy 5000 View Post
          That's what sucks about GC used, the risk because the photos show so little. Bit of a gamble. You can call them but it is usually a crap shoot if you'll get decent answers or specifics from them about an item. Exports were all the rage in their day but I can't see enough of that one to say. Not familiar enough with Rogers to say either. There are some big Rogers fans on here that might be able guide you when they come along.
          I just sent them an email about the export. Hopefully I'll hear back. I'll post another thread about the Rogers sometime.
          Ludwig Accent Custom

Comment

Okay, so, just to play Oprah Winfrey's Advocate here...

We're talking about a Forum kit (not to besmirch anyone's drums due to the economy as I played a Reuther set with concert toms up until a year ago). That being said, do you have any quantifiable numbers as to the amount of "resonance killing" that is imparted based on through the shell mounts? I'm sure there is some, but is it more than the $$$ vs performance? And, how much of that can be overcome with proper heads/tuning, etc?

Just for full disclosure, I play a Session Studio Elite circa 2005. I bought it used with Optimounts, but I do still use the bass drum mount (rather than a rack or stands). The big question here is what do you plan for the kit (live gigs, studio recording, basic smashing out of rudiments)? If a $175.00 Forum gets you back drumming after some sort of economic hiatus, go for it. Resale will probably be next to nothing, so if you are looking for an investment/flip kit, I'd probably pass. But, if you can get a decent drum set for basically the price of a set of practice pads (and you have the surroundings that won't gripe about the noise) I'd go for it. Questions are, are the heads in decent shape (plan to spend $15-$30 per batter and about the same per reso if the heads are shot) and what else comes along with the kit?

Personally, I think there are a crazy amount of exports (and even visions) out there from folks that bought and cannot afford to keep. If you have the time and patience, just keep your eyes and ears peeled and you might manage to find something more valuable. That being said, worrying about losing 4.327538% of resonance from a shell mounted tom is ridiculous if you just want to bang away in the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post

We're talking about a Forum kit (not to besmirch anyone's drums due to the economy as I played a Reuther set with concert toms up until a year ago). That being said, do you have any quantifiable numbers as to the amount of "resonance killing" that is imparted based on through the shell mounts? I'm sure there is some, but is it more than the $$$ vs performance? And, how much of that can be overcome with proper heads/tuning, etc?

Just for full disclosure, I play a Session Studio Elite circa 2005. I bought it used with Optimounts, but I do still use the bass drum mount (rather than a rack or stands). The big question here is what do you plan for the kit (live gigs, studio recording, basic smashing out of rudiments)? If a $175.00 Forum gets you back drumming after some sort of economic hiatus, go for it. Resale will probably be next to nothing, so if you are looking for an investment/flip kit, I'd probably pass. But, if you can get a decent drum set for basically the price of a set of practice pads (and you have the surroundings that won't gripe about the noise) I'd go for it. Questions are, are the heads in decent shape (plan to spend $15-$30 per batter and about the same per reso if the heads are shot) and what else comes along with the kit?

Personally, I think there are a crazy amount of exports (and even visions) out there from folks that bought and cannot afford to keep. If you have the time and patience, just keep your eyes and ears peeled and you might manage to find something more valuable. That being said, worrying about losing 4.327538% of resonance from a shell mounted tom is ridiculous if you just want to bang away in the garage.
              Well said. I think I'll keep looking, being used stuff, different sets come and go. I'll be patient and also try saving money.

As for the resonance, I played a Forum similar to that and it does more to the sound than people would think. I consider myself to be decent at tuning, from the compliments I get from my Ludwig set, but no matter what I did to the forum, it wouldn't stay in tune. Could've been the heads, but not sure. (it was for a church I use to play for and they wouldn't buy new heads.)
              Ludwig Accent Custom

Comment

Originally posted by Cheez_Whiz View Post

My point was simply that if your shopping around anyway, why settle for rock bottom, shell mounted if you can go with something a little better? I don't have any scientific numbers or sound laboratory testing to back it up, I only know I have read enough that I would not take a shell mounted kit if it was given to me for my birthday. Well, if it was highly collectable maybe But then, thank goodness I can afford to be picky. Most of the shell mounted kits on the GC site (with maybe few exceptions) are fit for 8 year old kids that are looking into drumming for the first time. I took it from the research that he was doing, that he was looking to do more than bang on it in his garage. The kit also struck me as a bit of a money pit that would not be worth putting any money into, but that's because I have been in that situation before and it sucks, which is why I recommended spending a little more if possible on a Vision set for example.
                Zildjian A & K Customs

Comment

I'd keep looking. If you can find a used DP series kit, they might go for around that price. With good heads they sound fantastic, as long as they're well tuned and the bearing edges are looked after.
                  Sonor S-Classix - Sonor 3007 - Zildjian and Dream - Marimba One

CHURCH DRUMMER'S ARMY

Originally posted by beermaniac
                  Each time i see this i wish i had the power to summon meteorite strikes or at least set people on fire
                  just by hating them :(

Comment

Working...
                  X