Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone who still thinks Forum series is just for beginners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone who still thinks Forum series is just for beginners...

Should spend about 10 minutes behind these...

I am in the process of refinishing the 12" tom as a test. If it turns out, I may do the whole kit.
    I am diggin' this kit!
    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

BOOM DA DA BAP DA BOOM BOOM DA BAP
    CDA MEMBER since 2006

Nice!
    Blatant Pearl Fanboi

GoingoBoingo

Church Drummer's Army

Comment

Thanks.. No one takes ya seriously unless the badge on your shells reads Masters...
      MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Agreed completely! I'm currently unwrapping my kit and going over it with some sanding and light wax, it looks incredible - you should definitely look into it, it also sounds fantastic and removing the wrap has (in my opinion) opened up the tone somewhat too.

P.S. removing the wrap will remove the badge lol
        Selling:
        Tama Artwood Black 13x6.5" Snare

PM me - UK

Comment

Looking Good!
          sigpicPEARL DRUMS
          MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
          My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_read92 View Post
            Agreed completely! I'm currently unwrapping my kit and going over it with some sanding and light wax, it looks incredible - you should definitely look into it, it also sounds fantastic and removing the wrap has (in my opinion) opened up the tone somewhat too.

P.S. removing the wrap will remove the badge lol
            I have the third coat of stain applied to my test tom (12") I am using Minwax water based stain and polycrylic water based clear gloss.. The grain is really surprising!
            As far as the badges go... They stay! the badge snobs can eat it when they hear these puppies!

Originally posted by nova View Post
            Looking Good!
            Thanks..
            MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Ahh yours was the earlier Forum kit from mine, I couldn't leave the badges on as they were glued to the wrap.
              I'm using that same brand wax instead of stain. I should've stained and varnished it really but as you say, the grain is so pretty I just went with wax instead to accentuate the look of it and apparently according to the woodworker it should protect the wood as well. I'll post pictures when I've unwrapped the whole kit and maybe you could upload some too!
              Unwrapped forums rules
              Selling:
              Tama Artwood Black 13x6.5" Snare

PM me - UK

Comment

whats up with using two multiclamps on one stand there? Unstable with just one? Just struck me as odd.
                nice kit! clean set up man!
                One Brick of Vic Firth 5A wood tip hickory American Classics available. Got them as a prize for a drum competition, but I use 5B's. Very flexible on the pricing. PM for details.

my band. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eye-on...3489634?ref=ts

Comment

Your set ups are always so inviting James! You're on Google with the Amenci Cymbals leading us to the Custom Classic Birch and your youtube demo. Pretty cool!
                  sigpicPEARL DRUMS
                  MCX RED GLASS 22" X 18," 14" x 6.5", 10" X 8", 12" X 9", 14" x 11", 16" X 14", 18" x 16", and Sabians
                  My Kit; http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/at...8&d=1290113760

MASTERS ARMY

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_read92 View Post
                    Ahh yours was the earlier Forum kit from mine, I couldn't leave the badges on as they were glued to the wrap.
                    I'm using that same brand wax instead of stain. I should've stained and varnished it really but as you say, the grain is so pretty I just went with wax instead to accentuate the look of it and apparently according to the woodworker it should protect the wood as well. I'll post pictures when I've unwrapped the whole kit and maybe you could upload some too!
                    Unwrapped forums rules
                    Yep.. mine are like 2003-2006 (?) with the shell through mounts, that I will eventually change over to at least ISS. The badges on my shells were indeed glued on.
                    I used a high temp heat gun that I had purchased from a local big box HW store for $25 about 2 years ago when my interest in refinishing drums began. I salvaged my badges by applying gradual heat to the badge and working a very thin bladed (fillet) knife between the badge and wrap and in one whittling (sort) of motion slicing the badge from the wrap. A "high E" guitar string can also be used to do this, but that is a 2 person operation and the wife was out getting her nails done or eyebrows yanked or something. Anyway, my shells are poplar and the edges are soo nice. Typical for Pearl. Once this project is finished I am going to have a beautiful little kit!
                    I have since removed the wrap on the kick drum, and have coats 2 thru possibly 5 of the poly gloss to apply to finish the 12" "test" tom. Pics up soon.
                    Last edited by pearlygates; 01-22-2011, 09:42 AM.
                    MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Rush equals love View Post
                      whats up with using two multiclamps on one stand there? Unstable with just one? Just struck me as odd.
                      Unstable with one clamp?? Naw. I had 2 of those Pearl logo AX clamps in my inventory and just thought why not? Thanks for the compliment!
                      MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
                        Your set ups are always so inviting James! You're on Google with the Amenci Cymbals leading us to the Custom Classic Birch and your youtube demo. Pretty cool!
                        Yeah.. the inet star that I am.. hahaha! Thanks Lonny.
                        MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Rush equals love View Post
                          Yea i thought he did it cause he had an extra. Although, other than myself, he's the first person ive seen that puts the TOM arm in the stand and uses a clamp on the cymbal arm. I really dont understand why more people dont do it that way since its more stable with the heavier object in the stand.
                          VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                          Kick Sub Mod
                          How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Your new Forum is looking good James!

Looking forward to the mini-Super Bowl tomorrow!
                            Kevin

Pearl Masters Custom Extra MRX - 5 Piece Maple Kit
                            Midnight Fade, Chrome Hardware
                            Matching Snare: 14x6.5 Toms: 12x9, 13x10, 16x16 (FT) Bass: 22x18
                            Cymbals: Paiste Signatures & 2oo2s

Proud member of the Masters Army <<<Click to join today!

Comment

Originally posted by Blk Diamond View Post
                              Your new Forum is looking good James!

Looking forward to the mini-Super Bowl tomorrow!
                              Yessiree! Thanks BD..
                              MAPEX l PEARL l SABIAN

CDA MEMBER since 2006

Comment

Working...
                              X