Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Older (80's) Export ELX Mystery....................

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Older (80's) Export ELX Mystery....................

.................or should I say "conunDRUM"?

I found the attached .pdf (below) here on this forum. I just picked up a set of Exports today locally for a good price. After doing some research, it seems mine are from either 1983, 1984 or 1985 and are the ELX series, with the #121 Walnut lacquer finish and matching wood bass drum hoops with the classic Pearl rectangular C-052 lugs. According to the .pdf, the shells are 8-ply mahogany with an interior and exterior plies of birch.

If you check out the attached photos of my kit (including the reply below), the lacquered birch ply is easy to see on the outside and looks nice (obviously needs cleaned/polished), but the interior looks and feels like particle board or MDF. No way that's birch! Plus, if you notice in the last photo on the reply below, the shell is flattened out slightly where the lugs are. It's easy to see when looking at the circle on the underneath side of the Remo Pinstripe head. Plus, I'm only counting 5 or 6 plies at most. It's honestly hard to tell because the "wood" looks like one thick ply.

Any clue on what these shells might be? Did Pearl make a mistake at the factory and accidentally attached an outer ply of birch to one of the EX models that was supposed to be wrapped? If so, wouldn't the shell be 9-ply?

Your thoughts are appreciated. Again, two additional photos in the reply below,

Thanks,

V
    Attached Files
    Last edited by vyacheslav; 01-04-2019, 04:02 PM.

A couple more photos:
    Attached Files

Comment

It's no mystery .. looks like an 8" tom, badge is an 85 badge and that's Birch exterior .. with said it's an 85 ELX

85 ELX 8x8 and 10x8 toms had a 6 ply shell .. 2 Birch + 4 Asian Mahogany plies

The rest of shells were 8 plies (2 Birch + 6 Asian Mahogany) with Acousti-Coat interiors (which you thought was particle board)

Comment

Originally posted by BadAstronaut View Post
        It's no mystery .. looks like an 8" tom, badge is an 85 badge and that's Birch exterior .. with said it's an 85 ELX

85 ELX 8x8 and 10x8 toms had a 6 ply shell .. 2 Birch + 4 Asian Mahogany plies

The rest of shells were 8 plies (2 Birch + 6 Asian Mahogany) with Acousti-Coat interiors (which you thought was particle board)

Thank you very much for the reply. So do the 8" and 10" toms that I have also have the Acousti-Coat interior like the rest of the kit does? Is the only difference among all the shells that the 8" and 10" toms are just 6-ply (2 birch + 4 Asian Mahogany) vs 8 -ply (2 birch + 6 Asian Mahogany) for the rest of the kit?

I wonder if that's why the 8" has slightly flattened out where the lugs are, because it is only 6-ply (vs 8). Would you recommend strengthening the 8" and 10" shells, such as polyurethane on the insides, or possibly adding a reinforcing material where the lugs are, like a piece of hard plastic or very thin wood or something on the inside as a backing plate?

Thanks again for the help!

V

Comment

Originally posted by vyacheslav View Post
          Thank you very much for the reply. So do the 8" and 10" toms that I have also have the Acousti-Coat interior like the rest of the kit does?
          No prob. Yes all shells had acousti-coat interiors. It's real plies of wood under all that mess. I personally think it looks like sh#t and should be sanded smooth. That rough particle board look annoys me.

Is the only difference among all the shells that the 8" and 10" toms are just 6-ply (2 birch + 4 Asian Mahogany) vs 8 -ply (2 birch + 6 Asian Mahogany) for the rest of the kit?
          Yes.

I wonder if that's why the 8" has slightly flattened out where the lugs are, because it is only 6-ply (vs 8). Would you recommend strengthening the 8" and 10" shells, such as polyurethane on the insides, or possibly adding a reinforcing material where the lugs are, like a piece of hard plastic or very thin wood or something on the inside as a backing plate?
          Maybe .. or owner screwed interior lug screws too tight.

You can make rubber gaskets for lugs easy as pie. Buy a sheet of neoprene rubber at 1/16 or 1/32 of an inch ... trace lug shape on to that, then press down lugs on rubber to make indentations for lug screws... then use a hole punch to punch out lug holes and cut out gaskets.
          Last edited by BadAstronaut; 01-05-2019, 02:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks again!

I wonder why they used the Acousti-Coat interior if the inner ply was birch? Usually those type of interior coatings are applied to hide the imperfections or lesser quality wood used in the shell. There is no need to do that with birch. I can think of two possible reasons:

1. Using interior coatings was popular at that time. Ludwig had the Granitone on their Standard and then later their Rockers series. Tama also used a variation of that on their Swingstar line from the 80's too.

2. The EX (which were wrapped) had "Select woods", so maybe the Acousti-Coat was used on them for the reason I described above (lesser quality wood, i.e. not birch) and to keep everything uniform and consistent, Pearl went ahead and did it on the ELX models too.

Anyone know for sure?

Comment

Working...
            X