Mastercast hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercast hoops

I’m new to this thread, so if this question has already been asked and answered, forgive me:
    I’m thinking of changing out my stock flanged hoops to Pearl Mastercast hoops...anyone know if the fit on the tom
    ISS holder on the early 2000’s Export kit will fit the Pearl diecast hoops ok without a change of hardware?
    Thanks in advance.
    BTW, love my (poplar?) Export tubs.

Upgrades so far:

Gibraltar stealth racks, port and starboard
    Zildjian 15” A crash
    Sabian Neil Peart Paragon 18” crash, 14” hi hats, 21” ride, 8” splash
    Evans black hydraulic heads
    Evans EC reso heads
    Tama Iron Cobra double kick pedal
    Evans Gmad Kick head

....maple 8x14 snare this month! (Excited about that change.)

Good tubs....those stock cymbals just had to go. ��
    Last edited by Moellermethod; 09-05-2018, 09:37 PM.

Yes they will. Masters Custom kits through the 90's had ISS mounts with Mastercast hoops.
    sigpic
    PEARL CZX "CUSTOM Z" ALL MAPLE
    22", 22", 8", 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 18"
    PICSPICS 2
    “After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.”
    Click Here To Help My Next Epic Search Quest

Comment

Dont do it in my opinion. They will choke the wound of your already short sustaining bir chi drums. Just leave them alone. Not worth upgrading a lower end line of drums like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Divine Sentiment View Post
        Dont do it in my opinion. They will choke the wound of your already short sustaining bir chi drums. Just leave them alone. Not worth upgrading a lower end line of drums like that.
        Agreed. Don't do it. You'll spend a whole lot of money for an upgrade that will not affect the sound of your kit.

It would be like trying to increase the performance of my Honda Accord by installing Formula 1 tires.

Comment

As the others said, save your money for a new kit down the road. I would like to see a photo with a Mastercast die cast hoop being held by an ISS mount.

Comment

Welcome to the Forum. Stick with what you have. Maybe a
            new kit down the road. Maybe some Superhoops ??
            Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
            22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare.sigpic Why not ...

Comment

Originally posted by Moellermethod View Post
              on the early 2000’s Export. BTW, love my Poplar Export tubs.
              fix'd that for you

Comment

Hey thanks all for the input. After considering the comments, I’m saying no to the diecast hoops. Gonna try a heavier hoop for sure: S-hoops.
                Just like my guitar, bass, pedal steel and piano rigs I’m in search of the perfect tone arrangement. Since I’ve been a blue collar workin’ stiff my life whole life, money IS a problem for me. Spending it judiciously has gotta be a factor in every decicision I make with equipment upgrades.
                I may never own a better set of drums. The handwriting’s on the wall there, but I love ‘ em, and my startup teacher thought he would always play a Pearl Export kit....then DW got in his blood. I don’t see that happening for me.

I’ll work to improve what I’ve got to work with, patiently.
                Thanks again, everyone who responded.
                I appreciate any more advice on tone and enhancement you can offer!

Comment

Let’s see some pictures of your kit please. Also are
                  you happy with your current choice of heads ?? Money
                  is an issue for me as well. My best advice for that would
                  be to keep an eye on the used market. Scores can be had.
                  Last edited by Eric; 09-03-2018, 05:35 PM.
                  Eric G : Pearl,pAiSTe,Remo,Vic Firth,SKB,Roc n Soc,Roland V-Drums. Masters MCX Chestnut fade.
                  22"x18",10"x8",12"x9",16"x16". Ian Paice Snare.sigpic Why not ...

Comment

Evans EC dry reso heads
                    Didn't know Evans made a "dry" (ie. small perforations around the perimeter of the head) reso head? Or do you just mean the regular EC reso heads?

Comment

Sorry about that; by “dry” on the reso I meant Evans EC Reso 10 mil., which provide better damping, a bit deeper and more focused tone in my opinion.
                      When I bought the kit used, the stock Pearl heads were still on it. I cycled thru Aquarian heads, then finally decided to use Evans black hydraulics to begin stifling the unusually high amount of unwanted overtones and spend less time tuning, more time playing!
                      It worked, so I’ve stayed with it.
                      The goal was to find tones on my 10, 12, 14, and 6.5x14 snare I could actually stomach on this set. I’m getting happier all the time. The kit is drier, warmer, and easier to play.
                      I own the version called “ Amber Mist”, and I think the black heads look really good on the set.
                      I’ve been using Vic Firth Extreme 5BN sticks for two years now, and love them as well.
                      Since I’m only 5 years into drumming, there’s SO much on the learning curve to know.

The biggest lesson I’ve learned so far is the same one I’ve learned on every other instrument I play: there is no replacing great technique; practice, practice, practice.

Comment

I’ll get some pictures up as soon as I can. When I do, I’ll welcome any suggestions more experienced players might have about setup. Since I don’t have anybody else to bounce my ideas off of right now, I’ll welcome good advice.

The biggest problem I’ve had with this kit is getting the 10” and 12”toms horizontal. Until I got them off the kick drum mount and onto rack mounts, it wasn’t happenin’....they would hit the top of the kick...hated that.

Comment

I’ll get some pictures up as soon as I can. When I do, I’ll welcome any suggestions more experienced players might have about setup. Since I don’t have anybody else to bounce my ideas off of right now, I’ll welcome good advice.

The biggest problem I’ve had with this kit is getting the 10” and 12”toms horizontal. Until I got them off the kick drum mount and onto rack mounts, it wasn’t happenin’....they would hit the top of the kick...hated that.
                          Photos of what you have and the setup you want would be the easiest way, that allows us to give you the answers you're after. Otherwise it'd just be guesswork.
                          More drums than you can shake a stick at...
                          https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	AB5047B0-0B6C-4437-83BB-564E172C7326.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	5211175Click image for larger version

Name:	AB5047B0-0B6C-4437-83BB-564E172C7326.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	5211175