Configuration question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Configuration question

I recently bought a used Export EX kit in wine red with black hardware. The set came with 8, 12, 13 and 16 toms. 22 bass and 14 snare. My question is that it seems to me that 1 Tom was missing. Shouldn't it have included a 10? I wouldn't think Pearl would skip tonally from the 8 to the 12. I added the 10 yesterday in the form of a still new ECX. The whole kit is in the process of being re-wrapped in yellow vinyl. Just seemed odd to me with those size configurations.

As you bought it used, I suspect the original owner bought a standard kit (12,13,16,22,snare) and added an 8" tom for some reason instead of a 10". Have you asked them?
    Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
    8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

Comment

I agree with the above statement. Owner probably had a basic 12-13-16 tom combination and just added an 8" drum he picked up used on the cheap. Sounds completely normal.

Comment

Bought it from a Music Go Round store for $225. The employees were clueless to the kits origins. The other evidence that the 10 was originally with it is that the kit had an extra black Tom arm and ISS mount with no drum to attach to it.

Comment

Pearl used to, or may still, sell an 8/10 set of Export add-on toms. I still have mine (though the 10 is now a snare drum). These were probably added to a standard 12/13/16 kit (as I had done). At some point in your kit's life the 10 must have been pilfered by someone separately. It is a fairly in-demand tom size as it's not typically an included component of a standard kit and, I would say, a little more useful than an 8; makes for an ideal first, or only, addition to another kit.

Comment

Probably a correct assumption. This poor set had been mistreated badly. Appears to have been stored in a barn or outside storage building. The task of cleaning it was monumental to say the least. During that task I discovered severe bubbling of the original wrap on 4 of the drums. It even had the original heads still on it. It was never appreciated for what it was. I've started the re-wrapping process now and have the snare finished. Now that the 10 ECX arrived a couple of days ago I can finish the rest next week. Here's a glimpse of what it will be. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180409_183339.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	5210016

Comment

Originally posted by KiloJones View Post
              Probably a correct assumption. This poor set had been mistreated badly. Appears to have been stored in a barn or outside storage building. The task of cleaning it was monumental to say the least. During that task I discovered severe bubbling of the original wrap on 4 of the drums. It even had the original heads still on it. It was never appreciated for what it was. I've started the re-wrapping process now and have the snare finished. Now that the 10 ECX arrived a couple of days ago I can finish the rest next week. Here's a glimpse of what it will be. [ATTACH=CONFIG]509353[/ATTACH]
              Looks great!
              HHX hats, K crashes, Bosphorus traditional & Paiste sound creation dark rides
              Snares: Yamaha Bamboo Custom 5.5x14 / Ludwig Black Beauty 5x14, COB Supraphonic 6.5x14 / Pearl Mahogany Classic Limited Edition / Sonor D505
              Pearl Reference Pure (matte walnut) / SonorLite (Scandinavian birch)

Comment

I like the new wrap. Do you have any more drums re-wrapped yet? The bigger drums are harder to wrap. Be patient!

Comment

Originally posted by Drumming-4-Life View Post
                  I like the new wrap. Do you have any more drums re-wrapped yet? The bigger drums are harder to wrap. Be patient!
                  Not yet. I am waiting until late next week because I'm having some powder coating done to the chrome hardware on a 10 inch Tom I added to the set last week. I could only find a still new ECX with chrome so I'm doing it to match all the other gloss black hardware.

As far as laying the vinyl, my son-in-law does vinyl wraps and signs for a living so he'll be doing the floor Tom and the bass for me.

Comment

Not yet. I am waiting until late next week because I'm having some powder coating done to the chrome hardware on a 10 inch Tom I added to the set last week. I could only find a still new ECX with chrome so I'm doing it to match all the other gloss black hardware.

As far as laying the vinyl, my son-in-law does vinyl wraps and signs for a living so he'll be doing the floor Tom and the bass for me.
                    Good idea.
                    2021 Masterworks / Matte Black Mist

18x20 KD, 14x16 FT, 12x14 FT, 8x10 TT, 6.5x13 SD, 10x12 FSD

2022 Masterworks Cocktail Kit / Bright Champagne Halo

16x16 KD (verticle), 5x10 SD, 5x8 TT, 5x12 TT

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180513_113853.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	5210180

Back to the re-covering project. Had my 3rd heart attack a week and a half ago so it put things on the back burner for a while. I'm doing the 8 and 10 today whilebthe chrome hardware for the 10 is off being powdercoated gloss black to match the rest.
                      Attached Files

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]509585[/ATTACH]

Back to the re-covering project. Had my 3rd heart attack a week and a half ago so it put things on the back burner for a while. I'm doing the 8 and 10 today whilebthe chrome hardware for the 10 is off being powdercoated gloss black to match the rest.
                        Hope you're ok man.
                        More drums than you can shake a stick at...
                        https://www.charliesmithdrummer.com

Also a Podcaster - Groovecast

Comment

Yep, doing good all things considered. Caught this one early and did no further damage to the function. Still have 3 more blockages to remove next month but screw it.... I'm alive!

Comment

It looks quite good. The whole kit will look great when you finish. Peace and goodwill.
                            Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Mapex MPX (snare, )Mapex Armory Sabre (Snare), Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms; Sabian HHX, AAX, XS20, and SR2 ; Evans ; LA Backbeat

Church Drummers Army

Comment

Good like with this project, its looking nice and take care of yourself. No point having a nice drum kit if you're not around to enjoy it.
                              Pearl Prestige Session Select SRX 1998 in black mist
                              8-10-12-14-16F-18F-20BD 14x6.5" Masters Custom Maple Snare

Comment

Working...
                              X