Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to drill a cracked cymbal (video)

Hey guys

I just posted a new video up on YouTube showing how i dealt with my newly cracked cymbal. Surprisingly, I gave it a quick search and didn't see a whole lot of stuff online so here are my 0.2

I made a ton of mistakes others can learn from, and I'd love to hear any experiences or techniques you guys might have on this subject.

The cymbal in question is a custom 16" Saluda china cymbal. There's a detailed commentary along with the video but if you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them here as well =]

Sorry for the length of the video and thanks for checkin it out!

Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjSpTI1ho0&hd=1
    non-HD link for slow connection: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSjSpTI1ho0
    sigpic
    Check out exclusive photos on Facebook and my drum covers and related videos on YouTube

Cool vids man! I also had someone drill a Sweet Ride I cracked, it plays the same and I can still use it. I believe they did the same thing as you did.
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/reallyreallybigmanal

Comment

i hope the work on your ride was more precise than what i did
      sigpic
      Check out exclusive photos on Facebook and my drum covers and related videos on YouTube

Comment

I hope it helps, cuz from experience I can tell you that eventually the cymbal will crack again at the spot where you drilled. (at least mine did)
        Mapex Orion mapa burl, Pearl Steve Ferone sig snare
        Meinl , Paiste cymbals

Comment

so far so good.. i know it hasn't been long enough to tell but it's definitely playable for the time being
          sigpic

Comment

First mistake: not using a block of wood underneath to support it.
            Second mistake: drill bit was too big.

Just saying

VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
            Kick Sub Mod
            How to: Split your double (P2002) Eliminator into singles (P2000)

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

Mine looks pretty good, a pretty large area was taken out. It looks like a monkey grip, like those guitars with a monkey grip, haha! But as you stated in the video, for others future reference; you want to go beyond where the crack ends all around to eliminate any micro cracks.

Comment

@TalonTsi90 looks pretty sweet there. i'll definitely take your advice the next time around but don't you have a rattling sound coming out of this crack though? that was my main issue to begin with..

@WKTDDrummer hey man do you have a pic of it? sounds awesome :P
                sigpic

Comment

I have yet to use it, or decide if i want to cut it down yet. I scored it for $36 off eBay to fix and flip, but not sure what im gonna do with it.

Either way, you should always start with the smallest drill bit you have and work your way bigger, thats why it wasnt biting in your vid (i didnt watch past the point where you poked through it).
                  VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                  Kick Sub Mod

sigpic

dFd Black Chrome 2.3mm hoops for sale, single 6", 8, 10, 12, 14(8 hole), 16, 18 (pairs)

Comment

well then you've missed all the fun
                    sigpic

Comment

You were putting me to sleep with your calming voice LOL
                      VBX Concord Fade 7 Piece
                      Kick Sub Mod

sigpic

Comment

haha calming?? i thought it was unbearable :P
                        I'll take it as a compliment then!
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll try to take a pic of it tomorrow. I've actually put that Sweet Ride on the backburner since I got my 22" K Light Ride. But I will try and post the pic tomorrow.

Comment

LOL

Man there will still going to crack soon or later ......When they do you know what to do .Right

Comment

Working...
                            X