Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Smith - Journey's Frontiers era - Paiste cup chimes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve Smith - Journey's Frontiers era - Paiste cup chimes?

I know Steve Smith has played Zildjian for a reeeeally long time (started endorsing them in 79), but I was just listening to Journey's "Frontiers" album and am trying to figure out one of the sounds. In the songs Frontiers and Rubicon, there is a bell sound that he's playing. It is a much darker tone than his ride cymbal bell, with a longer sustain. It actually really sounds like a Paiste Cup Chime #1. It's got a slight bit of wash underneath, just like the cup chimes do (I've got 5 of them, so I'm intimately familiar with the timbre).

Keep in mind that this is LONG before the Zilbells were around, so I know it's not one of those. I'm not really up on the Zildjian lineup in this era (82-84ish), but I didn't think there was any sort of bell/chime cymbal in their lineup. I know it's not a crotale either (like what Neil Peart used for the YYZ intro).

anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find it on the net.
    My Music

equipment list

If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

It probably was a Paiste cup chime. Steve Smith played Paiste cymbals when he was first with Journey before switching to Zildjian. I'm not sure if he was playing Paistes on Frontiers (he was a Zildjian Endorser in 1980, but I'm not sure about '79).

Comment

i think i know what he's talking about. I remember watching an old school video of Primus from the early-early 90's....and i recall seeing a cupchime-looking effect off the side of herb's hi-hats. I knew right off the bat that it wasn't a zilbel, because you can just tell the difference between the sounds. So i'm kinda curious too!

Comment

Is it the same sound he gets in the bridge of "Chain Reaction"?
        "The Steinway" 2005 Pearl BRX Black Sparkle 7-piece
        "The Road Warrior" 2006 Pearl BRX Midnight Fade 5-piece
        U.S. Fleet Commander - Pearl Masterworks Free Floating Snares

Comment

Originally posted by andyman1970
          Is it the same sound he gets in the bridge of "Chain Reaction"?

yeah... that's the other song... I knew I had heard it earlier in the album, but I didn't want to have to go back.
          My Music

equipment list

If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

Comment

Even if he was playing Zildjian's in '79 doesn't mean that in the studio he only used Zildjian's. For example if you watch the first video of a Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica, Lars is playing Sabian hats, when everyone knows he is a zildjian player so I suppose other players do this too.
            Pearl ELX in Cobalt Fade, 22"x18", 8", 10", 12", 14" 16" rack toms
            Paiste Alphas all the way!!

Comment

Originally posted by jeebustrain View Post
              I know Steve Smith has played Zildjian for a reeeeally long time (started endorsing them in 79), but I was just listening to Journey's "Frontiers" album and am trying to figure out one of the sounds. In the songs Frontiers and Rubicon, there is a bell sound that he's playing. It is a much darker tone than his ride cymbal bell, with a longer sustain. It actually really sounds like a Paiste Cup Chime #1. It's got a slight bit of wash underneath, just like the cup chimes do (I've got 5 of them, so I'm intimately familiar with the timbre).

Keep in mind that this is LONG before the Zilbells were around, so I know it's not one of those. I'm not really up on the Zildjian lineup in this era (82-84ish), but I didn't think there was any sort of bell/chime cymbal in their lineup. I know it's not a crotale either (like what Neil Peart used for the YYZ intro).

anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find it on the net.
              I know its such a late response....

On tour he used a 6" splash and an 8" splash. Listen to sound files of them, the 6" sounds like a high pitched bell, especially
              if you hit it directly on the bell. LIve footage i've seen, this is what he uses, not a paiste chime.
              My youtube page full of Paiste/Zildjian/Sabian Videos
              www.youtube.com/srgebel

Paiste Alpha Brilliant goodness!!!!

Comment

Paiste player here, and HUGE fan of the Frontiers album, but I think Steve just used his ride bell and crash bells on those songs. Cup Chime sustain is longer than what i hear, and they sound different in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Bri6366 View Post
                  It probably was a Paiste cup chime. Steve Smith played Paiste cymbals when he was first with Journey before switching to Zildjian. I'm not sure if he was playing Paistes on Frontiers (he was a Zildjian Endorser in 1980, but I'm not sure about '79).
                  Being a Paiste endorser is news to me, especially since he spoke about growing up around the Zildjian factory.
                  dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

Comment

Working...
                  X