Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Smith - Journey's Frontiers era - Paiste cup chimes?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steve Smith - Journey's Frontiers era - Paiste cup chimes?

    I know Steve Smith has played Zildjian for a reeeeally long time (started endorsing them in 79), but I was just listening to Journey's "Frontiers" album and am trying to figure out one of the sounds. In the songs Frontiers and Rubicon, there is a bell sound that he's playing. It is a much darker tone than his ride cymbal bell, with a longer sustain. It actually really sounds like a Paiste Cup Chime #1. It's got a slight bit of wash underneath, just like the cup chimes do (I've got 5 of them, so I'm intimately familiar with the timbre).

    Keep in mind that this is LONG before the Zilbells were around, so I know it's not one of those. I'm not really up on the Zildjian lineup in this era (82-84ish), but I didn't think there was any sort of bell/chime cymbal in their lineup. I know it's not a crotale either (like what Neil Peart used for the YYZ intro).


    anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find it on the net.
    My Music

    equipment list

    If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

  • #2
    It probably was a Paiste cup chime. Steve Smith played Paiste cymbals when he was first with Journey before switching to Zildjian. I'm not sure if he was playing Paistes on Frontiers (he was a Zildjian Endorser in 1980, but I'm not sure about '79).

    Comment


    • #3
      i think i know what he's talking about. I remember watching an old school video of Primus from the early-early 90's....and i recall seeing a cupchime-looking effect off the side of herb's hi-hats. I knew right off the bat that it wasn't a zilbel, because you can just tell the difference between the sounds. So i'm kinda curious too!

      Comment


      • #4
        Is it the same sound he gets in the bridge of "Chain Reaction"?
        "The Steinway" 2005 Pearl BRX Black Sparkle 7-piece
        "The Road Warrior" 2006 Pearl BRX Midnight Fade 5-piece
        U.S. Fleet Commander - Pearl Masterworks Free Floating Snares

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by andyman1970
          Is it the same sound he gets in the bridge of "Chain Reaction"?

          yeah... that's the other song... I knew I had heard it earlier in the album, but I didn't want to have to go back.
          My Music

          equipment list

          If anyone has a 20" (any depth) Ocean Sparkle Masters kick and wants to trade for an 18x22 BRX, please PM me

          Comment


          • #6
            Even if he was playing Zildjian's in '79 doesn't mean that in the studio he only used Zildjian's. For example if you watch the first video of a Year and a Half in the Life of Metallica, Lars is playing Sabian hats, when everyone knows he is a zildjian player so I suppose other players do this too.
            Pearl ELX in Cobalt Fade, 22"x18", 8", 10", 12", 14" 16" rack toms
            Paiste Alphas all the way!!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jeebustrain View Post
              I know Steve Smith has played Zildjian for a reeeeally long time (started endorsing them in 79), but I was just listening to Journey's "Frontiers" album and am trying to figure out one of the sounds. In the songs Frontiers and Rubicon, there is a bell sound that he's playing. It is a much darker tone than his ride cymbal bell, with a longer sustain. It actually really sounds like a Paiste Cup Chime #1. It's got a slight bit of wash underneath, just like the cup chimes do (I've got 5 of them, so I'm intimately familiar with the timbre).

              Keep in mind that this is LONG before the Zilbells were around, so I know it's not one of those. I'm not really up on the Zildjian lineup in this era (82-84ish), but I didn't think there was any sort of bell/chime cymbal in their lineup. I know it's not a crotale either (like what Neil Peart used for the YYZ intro).


              anyone have any ideas? I can't seem to find it on the net.
              I know its such a late response....

              On tour he used a 6" splash and an 8" splash. Listen to sound files of them, the 6" sounds like a high pitched bell, especially
              if you hit it directly on the bell. LIve footage i've seen, this is what he uses, not a paiste chime.
              My youtube page full of Paiste/Zildjian/Sabian Videos
              www.youtube.com/srgebel


              Paiste Alpha Brilliant goodness!!!!

              Comment


              • #8
                Paiste player here, and HUGE fan of the Frontiers album, but I think Steve just used his ride bell and crash bells on those songs. Cup Chime sustain is longer than what i hear, and they sound different in my opinion.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bri6366 View Post
                  It probably was a Paiste cup chime. Steve Smith played Paiste cymbals when he was first with Journey before switching to Zildjian. I'm not sure if he was playing Paistes on Frontiers (he was a Zildjian Endorser in 1980, but I'm not sure about '79).
                  Being a Paiste endorser is news to me, especially since he spoke about growing up around the Zildjian factory.
                  dalewmiller.com my kits: 1 2 3

                  GMS | Paiste|Evans|Kennedy Camden Auxiliary Percussion

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X