This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the lacquer...

..is gone ( and the logos) I use a metal polish called MAAS. After the first cleaning, the cymbals are very easy to keep clean. It has a protectant that makes fingerprints wipe off. Online it's about $10 a tube, at Walmart $4. Check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by clashofsound79
      i want somethin to clean my cymbals better than the sabian cleaner im usin on my Acustoms and i dont want to risk anythin that shouldnt be used for cleanin cymbals please help!!!???
      Sabian cleaner works just fine, I've used it on my A Custom Ping Ride and that thing shines like crazy.

Make sure you're using it the right way. Can you describe to me how you go about using it to clean your A Customs, maybe then I can help.
      My Drums (new pics Post 49) | My YouTube Videos
      I call no one my Father who's no closer than a stranger.
      Originally posted by fledgehog
      LIFE IS LIKE a GIRLFRIEND NOBODY ON PDF HAS ONE

Comment

I've used Windex in the past to clean my cymbals, but I'm not sure what type I used. Someone was saying that there are different types, some that contain ammonia and some that don't....or something like that. I'm not sure if it was ammonia.

Anyway, I cleaned them using that a few months ago. I believe I only did this once, though it's possible that I did it twice. Assuming I used the wrong type of Windex, if I never use that cleaning method again, will my cymbals be okay?

Comment

Originally posted by Son of Shub-Niggurath
          I've used Windex in the past to clean my cymbals, but I'm not sure what type I used. Someone was saying that there are different types, some that contain ammonia and some that don't....or something like that. I'm not sure if it was ammonia.

Anyway, I cleaned them using that a few months ago. I believe I only did this once, though it's possible that I did it twice. Assuming I used the wrong type of Windex, if I never use that cleaning method again, will my cymbals be okay?
          I wouldn't worry about it. I've used Windex with and without ammonia before on my cymbals and they're just fine. Then again you probably have cymbals from different lines, but I still don't think anything will happen.

Comment

I use Zildjian Avedis Series (all traditional finished) and I wanna clean them. I just wanna get rid of the stick marks and light finger prints. What would be recommended. (sense there tradtional) im not looking for shine im looking to remove marks. o BTW i wanna keep the logos as perfect as possible. any help please?

Comment

I've used Brasso for years on my A customs. No discolorations or tarnish to speak of. They will take the logos off, though. (which is why I clean around them). Also, if your cymbals are heavily soiled, you will go through a couple rolls of paper towels.
              The only cymbal cleaning I do is Brasso once a year.....

Comment

I bought some Groove Juice and was thinking of using it, but I don't understand why if I use it, I may have to keep using it often to keep them clean.

Comment

Well I tryed the HOT WATER and DISH SOAP and SCRUBBING haha and I still have aton of stick marks and finger prints. Ive only had the cymbals for lets say 2 months? and I mean I hardly touch them or hit them hard with a stick to make a huge mark but I mean shouldnt the fingerprints come off? I try to clean them once a week and I practice maybe 2 or 3 times... I dont wanna have to buy some "groove juise" or other stuff if soap and water can do the same thing. I ONLY USE Zildjian A Series so there tradtional finished so im looking for NO STICK MARKS or FINGERPRINTS (and mold or w/e can form) I don't need them to SHINE and look pretty. Just clean and not tarnish or w/e.

Comment

Joey Is Dead, try using Windex or a no-name glass cleaner on your A Series cymbals. I just cleaned all of my cymbals with Windex and they look great, including my A Series Splash.

That's why I'm posting actually, I discovered a GREAT way using Windex to clean cymbals, I'm not sure if it's been said here before. I always see people saying to spray the Windex on one part of the cymbal then rub over that area, and continue until the entire cymbal is done.

However, today I realized that if you let the Windex sit on the cymbal for about 10 seconds, it completely rids the cymbal of stick marks and minor dirt/grime. This works on both traditional and brilliant finish cymbals, although with brilliant ones it might take a bit more Windex and a bit more scrubbing to thoroughly clean it.

Comment

^^ thanks man, i heard a rumor that it can hurt the cymbals finish? but thats a rumor and i see more drummers using it and not complaining. ill def try that out thanks so much

does it get rid of finger marks and smudges?

Comment

Yes.

Comment

my cymbal cleaning

heres a pic of an original circa 1990 Paiste Sig ride. Also a pic of a circa 1980 avedis 15". I have just started work on the Avedis. The photos are not great, but it shows the purpose. I use Autosol for cleaning up and removing tarnish. the Sig ride has been done 3 times this will be the Avedis first. Then clean with Mr Sheen. The ride sounds as does on day one.the secret i found out years oago to metal polish on cymbal is use your index finger only no rag. This means you can follow the grooves and not hone the edges. The Avedis will get a rag job first then a final with the finger. it should take me about 3 hours or so per cymbal. I will post pics on completion. This stuff is amazing on chrome as well. Bikers use it. Its very gentle. Also Vaseline in lugs but thats another thread I think. The shadow on the Sig ride is reflection from the overhead cymbals. Not shadow.
                          Attached Files
                          REFERENCE SF 10x8 12x9 14x11 16x13 18x16 22x18 Paiste Signature 10 12 14 17 19 20 Paiste Traditional Med Lite 14 Hts 16 Cr Avedis 15 14x6.5" REF Snare Regal Tip 5A 5b Remo & Evans

http://www.pas.org/About/HOF/stone.cfm

Comment

right, was looking through the cupboard ealier and found an apparently wonder poruct: q2 biodegradabale brass polish, it recommends use on bronze, and i used it on a cymbal i htought was b8 (it had an ugly orangey colour and was very dirty) and cleaned it and now it appears to be b20 lol; i don't know if this is actually true (regarding the metal) but it sure looks AMAZING now. cleaning it made black s*t appear as has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but i was wondering whether or not this woudl be better than brasso or if anyone has had any experience with it; it is non abrasive (unlike brasso which is micro abrasive) and nwo this bad boy i sSHINING LIKE A LIGHT! it's an old cymbal i had so i tried it first on this in case it ****ed up, i haven't used it on my nice new cymbals yet; i am leaving it with a fingerprint on to see if it tarnishes or anything in the next week etc.

anyone else heard of/used q2?

Comment

Thanks. Works great.

Comment

Here's how my experience went:

Start:

Halfway-through:

Pretty much done:

This is great. (any way to get away with the brand names intact, though?)

Comment

Working...
                                X